cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device manager show an error with "high definition audio controller", code 10

Decoman
Level 7
I am doing a reinstall of Windows 7, and I am puzzled as to how to fix this error I am seeing in the device manager.

Under 'system devices', there are THREE instances of "high definition audio controller", and one of them has an error.

Any idea how to check what is actually wrong?

Also, when using the official audio drivers, something really weird happens during install: As the installer works on installing things, a VERY brief pop-up shows in red text, and I can't even read it, there seem to be some warning from windows about the install with two buttons as options, but the installer goes on and the pop-up vanish.

This is very mysterious and I don't know how to fix it, or even find out what is wrong.

If I unintall the audio driver and using the uninstall driver option from inside device manager, windows reinstalls the driver(s) for all three, and everything looks ok, until the machine is rebooted, and once again, there is a code 10 on one of the three "high definition audio controller" entries under 'system devices'.
2 REPLIES 2

Decoman
Level 7
I have disabled one of my three "high definition audio controller" items, but I wish I knew what effect that has on my computer. 😐

Why are there three of them? Anyone know? (Realtek HD audio)

Decoman wrote:
I have disabled one of my three "high definition audio controller" items, but I wish I knew what effect that has on my computer. 😐

Why are there three of them? Anyone know? (Realtek HD audio)

What are your specs?
Are you using AMD cards in 3-way crossfire?