cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G53SW Extreme Slowdown with updated Nvidia Driver - Solution!

Knuffibaer
Level 7
Hi.

I am a new owner of a G53SW Notebook and I discovered a weired issue with updated Nvidia driver. As soon as I installed them my laptop got extremly slow. I noticed this by opening Internet Explorer, opend a webpage and scrolled down. It was so slow that the scrolldown bar was jumping while scrolling down. The Laptop was unusable.

Final solution:
Just download the new beta driver. 290.36-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta
( http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40033 )
Everything working now. New driver. 3D Vision working. Now slow downs. 😄

Old solution (3D Vision not working):
I discovered that this is caused by "NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver" that are automatically updated with the Nvidia Driver. So the fix is that you go into your softwaremanager and deinstall this program and only this.
Then restart.
Go to the Nvidia webpage and click drivers. Select 3D Vision driver for notebook.
Download and install a lower 3D Vision Controller driver not the Geforce driver.
For me this one was working: "NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver v267.76 BETA" (german)
( http://www.nvidia.de/object/geforce-3d-vision-winvista-win7-267.76-beta-driver-de.html )

Notice:
For me the 285.62 WHQL and the 270.61 driver where causing this problem.
It looks like the Geforce driver with the included 3D Vision and Controller driver are causing this problem. Hopefully Asus can fix this?
I did spend hours to find this out. So I just wanted to help somebody who has the same problem.
3 REPLIES 3

Knuffibaer
Level 7
Update:
You will not get 3D Vision Running with this method. The problem is that the IR Sensor of the laptop will not be switched on.
If you try to install the 3D Vision driver that belong to the 3D Vision Controller you will not be able to start 3D Vision because it tells you that the grafics driver is not the one that is working with this version of 3D Vision.

So it is not possible to get an updated NVIDIA driver and use 3DVision. You can only use the old driver with 3D Vision. Very sad.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

When you got your notebook for the first time, did you do a clean install with it? (installed the windows 7 all over again, and not just the half preinstalled version that is on the notebook when first time use)

Uninstall all bloatware that you don't need on your notebook.

Then updated all your drivers including your Atheros network card (I assume that you haven't changed the hardware to an Intel version)
(when you update your graphic drivers I would install the drivers with version 267.76 and for the 3D, then set it up properly and then upgrade to latest version, if it doesn't work as it should)

And if you still got problems with your graphic drivers after a clean install, then this is perhaps a good solution you have come up with 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Knuffibaer
Level 7
Yes. I did.

The notebook was filled up with crap. So I made a clean install.

But I did find a final Solution now. I did install "290.36-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta".
And now everything works! 3D Vision working. Now slow downs. 😄

I did several installation changes to reproduce the fault. After I did find out that the beta driver works, I deinstall it again and then tried the 285.62 again. Same issues again.
Then deinstalled 285.62 and installed beta again. Works.