cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install The 2013 Driver On Windows 10 :D

Dicehunter
Level 10
This information comes courtesy of forum member Mairex.

To get the 2013 driver to work with Windows 10 i.e the one that worked the best, Simply open and edit the file CmSetx.dll with Notepad and change SupportOS=WIN81 to SupportOS=DONOTCARE and save it, Now install as normal.

I can confirm this fully works.

15 REPLIES 15

Retired
Not applicable
You do not want to do that. You'll start having applications complaining there is no sound card or no valid available end point. Very bad advice as it's not fully compatible with 10 and when installed that way it causes problems. Only the base driver works, a lot of the features do not. Even when your method is used a lot of features still don't work anyway.

Install the driver through the device manager instead in this fashion below

Uninstall:
01. Uninstall everything and restart the system.
02. Run CCleaner.

Manually install the driver:
03.Go to settings, Devices, and open device manager.
04. Under sound, video, and game devices click on High Definition Audio Device.
05. Click the driver tab and choose update driver and have it search the directory you unzipped. It will find it and install the correct driver.

Enable protected audio so surround sound works in the Netflix app:
06. Open regedit.
07. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Audio" create a key called "DisableProtectedAudioDG".
08. In the newly created key on the right side of the window click on default and set this value to 0.

This is how you manually install it. To manage various features, right click on the speaker icon on your taskbar click the appropriate end point you wish to manage and this also works on input devices in the recording tap. This basic interface is universal across many Windows computers.
Playback devices = outputs [Speakers | Headphones | SPDIF]
Recording devices = inputs [Desktop Microphone | Line In | Aux In]

SoundMan wrote:
You do not want to do that. You'll start having applications complaining there is no sound card or no valid available end point. Very bad advice as it's not fully compatible with 10 and when installed that way it causes problems. Only the base driver works, a lot of the features do not. Even when your method is used a lot of features still don't work anyway.

Install the driver through the device manager instead in this fashion below

Uninstall:
01. Uninstall everything and restart the system.
02. Run CCleaner.

Manually install the driver:
03.Go to settings, Devices, and open device manager.
04. Under sound, video, and game devices click on High Definition Audio Device.
05. Click the driver tab and choose update driver and have it search the directory you unzipped. It will find it and install the correct driver.

Enable protected audio so surround sound works in the Netflix app:
06. Open regedit.
07. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Audio" create a key called "DisableProtectedAudioDG".
08. In the newly created key on the right side of the window click on default and set this value to 0.

This is how you manually install it. To manage various features, right click on the speaker icon on your taskbar click the appropriate end point you wish to manage and this also works on input devices in the recording tap. This basic interface is universal across many Windows computers.
Playback devices = outputs [Speakers | Headphones | SPDIF]
Recording devices = inputs [Desktop Microphone | Line In | Aux In]

I've tested quite a few games and benchmarks and even listened to music and watched movies and there have been no problems.

Oh and as I clearly said, It's not my method it's Mairex's.

Retired
Not applicable
Dicehunter wrote:
I've tested quite a few games and benchmarks and even listened to music and watched movies and there have been no problems.

Oh and as I clearly said, It's not my method it's Mairex's.

Audacity = failure (can't find port audio, always the same error no matter what, using the latest version as well, goes away if the driver is manually installed like I did)
Winamp = failure (not entirely sure, but errors if a sample rate above 48 KHz is used with the Win7 driver, the Win8.1 doesn't produce an error message)

I haven't tested the radio broadcasting software Stereo Tool... with the above method, but know it works with my method.

foobar2000 works but I'm fuzzy on details.

And those applications run just fine on Windows 10 and are actually compatible and I'm running all their latest versions.

Setting Dolby Digital Live for SPDIF OUT and playing a test tone results in an error message. I don't have specific way of testing this but if a test tone fails to play it means it probably doesn't work anyway.

My method ensures applications work. I do believe that has to do with Windows 10 audio subsystem being slightly different with endpoints. Dolby Digital Live can't be made to work, it can be prevented from being selected by using my method causing it to not show in the list of supported rates.

SoundMan wrote:
Audacity = failure (can't find port audio, always the same error no matter what, using the latest version as well, goes away if the driver is manually installed like I did)
Winamp = failure (not entirely sure, but errors if a sample rate above 48 KHz is used with the Win7 driver, the Win8.1 doesn't produce an error message)

I haven't tested the radio broadcasting software Stereo Tool... with the above method, but know it works with my method.

foobar2000 works if Dolby Profile is uninstalled.

And those applications run just fine on Windows 10 and are actually compatible and I'm running all their latest versions.

Setting Dolby Digital Live for SPDIF OUT and playing a test tone results in an error message. I don't have specific way of testing this but if a test tone fails to play it means it probably doesn't work anyway.

My method ensures applications work. I do believe that has to do with Windows 10 audio subsystem being slightly different with endpoints. Dolby Digital Live can't be made to work, it can be prevented from being selected by using my method causing it to not show in the list of supported rates.

Audacity works just fine on mine, As said everything works just fine on mine even the newest drivers with or without the Dolby suite.

All I can do is report what I am seeing right now and as of right now everything works fine.

Retired
Not applicable
Dicehunter wrote:
Audacity works just fine on mine, As said everything works just fine on mine even the newest drivers with or without the Dolby suite.

All I can do is report what I am seeing right now and as of right now everything works fine.

It's probably your milage may vary type of thing. If it functions differently on your system that's what it means. Your system 32-bit or 64-bit? Mine is 64-bit and at least more than 4 years old, this happens even after a clean install.

SoundMan wrote:
It's probably your milage may vary type of thing. If it functions differently on your system that's what it means. Your system 32-bit or 64-bit? Mine is 64-bit and at least more than 4 years old, this happens even after a clean install.

64 bit, Everything in my system was bought around February time and I did a clean install of Windows 10 only a week ago 🙂

oG_kill3r
Level 7
Thanks for this , I can confirm its fully working for me now 🙂

Kenny78
Level 7
DDL don't work for me using this method.

freakazoid
Level 10
for me it seems to work.
finally the dolby theater is back and the soundprobs i had with the jan2015 drivers are gone aswell.

my sys.
phoebus solo
win10
64bitsd