cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus xonar phoebus solo noise issue

Wollowon
Level 7
Hello

When I playing music or playing games sometimes I hear small noise on my speaker.This sound like a "P.I.T , C.I.T".I uninstalled driver and reinstall , didn t help.

This only happening at 192 KHZ.

Operating System:Windows 10

Speaker System:Logitech Z-323

Driver Version:Latest

I tryed onboard sound , working fine with 192 KHZ no noise.This is driver issue or hardware issue ?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

DaDevilfreak
Level 7
then go back to 96KHz it will sound similar, because every speaker is limited to 41-48KHz.

You can try it with the official win10 driver which is planned for september.

DaDevilfreak wrote:
then go back to 96KHz it will sound similar, because every speaker is limited to 41-48KHz.

You can try it with the official win10 driver which is planned for september.

I tryed onboard sound , working fine with 192 KHZ no noise.This is driver issue or hardware issue ?

MotherBoard:ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME BLACK EDITION.

SoundMan
Level 7
When sitting sample rates high, don't use more than what the system can handle.

Onboard may work fine, but the dedicated sound card may not.

On Windows 7, I had distorted audio if I used 7.1 and 192 KHz with 24-bit audio. If I used Wasapi (Event) exclusive in foobar2000, it basically disappeared, but reappeared if I used ASIO, DirectSound, or WASAPI (Push) exclusive. I get distorted audio all the time if cool-n-quiet was turned on in the system BIOS (along with CE1 Support).

My onboard audio controller was turned off in the system BIOS the day I got this card and the drivers removed.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, I have no distorted audio at any channel configuration or rate. That means 192 KHz @ 24-bit with 8 channels now works perfectly no matter what. However if I turn on Cool-n-Quiet in the system bios the sound becomes distorted.

You may want to make sure certain power saving features for your system are turned off, this has been proven to cause problems with audio devices. The problem should improve or go away. Also when you install a new sound card turn off the onboard audio controller in the BIOS and uninstall the old drivers before installing the Asus Phoebus sound card. This should avoid potential conflicts that may cause the Asus Phoebus to perform poorly. A clean install of Windows is sometimes needed to fix problems.

You may have a device conflict or misbehaving devices causing the sound to be bad, if fixing the other stuff does not help.

You may want to turn off Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 for your CPU and SupremeFX High Definition Audio on that system in the BIOS.

Some facts about human hearing and digital audio:

Rates above 44.1 KHz don't have any improvement because CD rate is already better than human ears. If you're hearing differences between 44.1 KHz and any multiple of 48 KHz then it's the device performing poorly at multiples of 44.1 KHz typically. Some cards work better with multiples of 48 KHz. I don't believe this is an issue with the Asus Phoebus itself.

Human ears hear up to 20 KHz when very young and undamaged but not when other sounds are present. This declines with age and hearing loss. Someone really old may not hear higher than 8 KHz.

Nyquist rate is half the sample rate, this is the highest frequency that can be produced at that rate (only rates supported by Asus Phoebus are shown):
44,100 is 22,050
48,000 is 24,000
88,200 is 44,100
96,000 is 48,000
176,400 Hz is 88,200
192,000 Hz is 96,000

Samples are simple points in the audio taken at regular intervals, not square waves. A probably functioning DAC will smooth it out. So if the original recording was a sine wave, that's what you'll get when you play it back.

Upsampling your audio will not add any new frequencies that were never there in the original, but have to be lowpass filtered to avoid the effects of aliasing, which is just more noise. Aliasing is like a mirror image of the lower frequencies, a type of distortion. Time domain difference can result in ringing artifacts, generally outside the range of human hearing and near the Nyquist rate of the original rate.

PCM Bit depth and supported dynamic ranges:
1 bit is equal to 6.02 dB SPL (not supported by Asus Phoebus and yes it does sound very bad)
16 bits is equal to 96.32 dB SPL (CD depth, no one will have their system this loud anyway)
24 bits is equal to 144.48 dB SPL (this is way beyond the analog capabilities of the Asus Phoebus, only purely digital devices have such performance)

About dither. By adding some noise it's possible to reduce or eliminate quantization error, at the cost of a lower signal to noise ratio and more noise. Dither is just added noise. Shaping the noise outside of areas of sensitive in human hearing will make this noise less noticeable. Noise sounds more pleasant to the human ear than quantization error does. Windows will automatically dither the audio if set to 16-bits if using directsound in any application.

^
|
If 96 KHz @ 24-bit works then use it instead. The above explanation is to help you make an informed decision.

SoundMan wrote:
When sitting sample rates high, don't use more than what the system can handle.

Hello , thanks for information.

I removed all audio driver in pc
Reinstall Asus Driver
Disabled onboard audio and power saving features in bios.

Still happening at 192 KHZ , this issue start with Windows 10.

Not:I test sound card my friend computer (He is using Windows 10).No noise at 192 KHZ.
I tested different speakers in my pc at 192 khz.Still same noise happening sometimes.
My friend and my pc same hardware.(Everything)

Vlada011
Level 10
Soon I will try to find someone who have Phoebus Solo to try in my PC.
If SupremeFX onboard is so good I want to try and Phoebus...if card work OK I could cross from SBZ with only 20-30e loss.
Because so many problems with PCI-E sound card maybe manufacturer of motherboard should build onboard something even better and than to
increase price of mobo for 50$ example...But onboard should work same or very similar to Phoebus.