Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Power4Gear

ROG Enthusiast Array

Power4Gear

The first thing I did when I got my G74SX was reinstal Windows 7 to get rid of all the bloatware and use the Viper Win7 Service settings.. I'm very happy with the performance so far..

My question is, should I install Power4Gear?

I know it allows me to have different power settings, but the only ones i'm interested in is Maximum Performance and Battery Savings.. I'm just afraid P4G makes "Maximum Performance" slower then what would be without it?

I'm confused and would appreciate some help Thanks in advance

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Animoski12 View Post
    TMy question is, should I install Power4Gear?
    IMO...no. It's implicated in too many issues, from video performance to USB issues to unwanted Windows desktop theme changes, to who knows what else.

You can get all the power settings you want, including the two configurations you mention, with Windows Power Management. You won't be able to use the ROG button to switch power profiles, which is no loss. You can just as easily switch with the power icon in the taskbar.

Keep your installation clean.....

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The only thing I reinstalled was the ATK package, Intel LAN and WiFi drivers and the USB 3.0 drivers that come originally with the ASUS preinstalled OS.

The one thing bugging me is that turning off the trackpad doesn't seem to work using Fn + F9, any clues on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Animoski12 View Post
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The only thing I reinstalled was the ATK package, Intel LAN and WiFi drivers and the USB 3.0 drivers that come originally with the ASUS preinstalled OS.

The one thing bugging me is that turning off the trackpad doesn't seem to work using Fn + F9, any clues on that?
    You installed ONLY those drivers you listed? There are some more you need, including the touchpad driver. I'm assuming you don't really mean Intel LAN, because there's no such thing.

(There's such a thing as TOO clean!!)

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes, my fault, I installed the Realtek Lan driver, and of course as well the nVidia drivers..

I noticed there are 2 different companies that make the touchpads for the G74SX, how do I know which one to use?
    I didn't install any other drivers, and i'm beginning to wonder how do I use my web cam and BlueTooth (and if I need drivers for those :P)

I appreciate the help a lot btw!

Good catch! It seem many owners just start installing those drivers before wondering which one they should use!
    To determine your touchpad manufacturer, and therefore which driver to use, you should look in Device Manager to see what's installed.

• Open Device Manager
    • Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices" section
    • 2-click the listed device to open its Properties window
    • You'll be able to see there whether it's listed as a Sentelic or Synaprics device
      (This assumes you haven't installed any TP drivers yet.)

ROG Enthusiast Array

Call me crazy but I don't have a "Finger Sensing Pad" - I scanned through the entire list and checked out what drivers were missing and stuff, and everything that's missing you can see in the picture > http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5788/nopad.jpg

You have two devices listed......do you also have an external mouse plugged in? You should unplug that for now. But in any event, 2-click on the devices listed to find a Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad. (That's why I put in those instructions to 2-click on the listed device...it wasn't a given that you'd see "Finger sensing pad.")

I suspect one of them will be a Synaptics touchpad.

Is it just me, or is the forum being really slow and glitchy for the past hour or so? I'm having a heck of a time posting anything and updating pages....

ROG Enthusiast Array

Forgot to include the fact that I did indeed double click them and they all came up as "Microsoft" - and yes I do use an external USB based - wireless mouse.. (Primary reason for me wanting to disable the trackpad in the first place)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast