cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power4Gear

Animoski12
Level 7
The first thing I did when I got my G74SX was reinstal Windows 7 to get rid of all the bloatware and use the Viper Win7 Service settings.. I'm very happy with the performance so far..

My question is, should I install Power4Gear?

I know it allows me to have different power settings, but the only ones i'm interested in is Maximum Performance and Battery Savings.. I'm just afraid P4G makes "Maximum Performance" slower then what would be without it?

I'm confused and would appreciate some help 😉 Thanks in advance
28 REPLIES 28

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Animoski12 wrote:
TMy question is, should I install Power4Gear?

IMO...no. It's implicated in too many issues, from video performance to USB issues to unwanted Windows desktop theme changes, to who knows what else.

You can get all the power settings you want, including the two configurations you mention, with Windows Power Management. You won't be able to use the ROG button to switch power profiles, which is no loss. You can just as easily switch with the power icon in the taskbar.

Keep your installation clean..... 🙂

Just out of curiosity (if you do in fact have a Synaptics touchpad), exactly which G74 model # do you have? I've been trying to figure out which configurations get which hardware. So far, all I can tell is that Synaptics TPs and Intel WLANs always seem to go together, but haven't found a consistent pattern otherwise.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Just out of curiosity (if you do in fact have a Synaptics touchpad), exactly which G74 model # do you have? I've been trying to figure out which configurations get which hardware. So far, all I can tell is that Synaptics TPs and Intel WLANs always seem to go together, but haven't found a consistent pattern otherwise.

Under HID-complaint mouse - it gave me a bunch of hoopla and nothing corresponding to what you said.. Oddly enough the PS/2 selection gave me exactly what you have. STLC141.

So I have a Sentelic touch pad! (thanks for the help btw)

I have a G74SX-KBB8 - Bought from Best Buy.. 2670QM processor, 8GB ram, 560M 2GB, 2x 500GB HDDs (I would like to know how to RAID 0 these hard drives for better performance :/)

Hopefully that helps! Let me know what you think

BrodyBoy wrote:
IMO...no. It's implicated in too many issues, from video performance to USB issues to unwanted Windows desktop theme changes, to who knows what else.

You can get all the power settings you want, including the two configurations you mention, with Windows Power Management. You won't be able to use the ROG button to switch power profiles, which is no loss. You can just as easily switch with the power icon in the taskbar.

Keep your installation clean..... 🙂

hello brody,

I've done a clean installation on my SSD, and somehow I have installed P4Gear.
So, do I uninstall it? And also where do I find Windows Power Management options?

TIA

Blue-Bulb wrote:
hello brody,

I've done a clean installation on my SSD, and somehow I have installed P4Gear.
So, do I uninstall it? And also where do I find Windows Power Management options?

TIA

You can uninstall Power4Gear in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program. Windows Power Management can be opened a number of ways. If you want to open its control panel to tweak settings, create power plans, etc., a quick way is to click on the power/battery icon on the taskbar and select "More power options." There, you can customize existing plans (in advanced settings), or even make new plans to suit your needs.

But if you just want to switch power plans during use, simply click on the taskbar icon and select the one you want. You can also use Win + X to open the Mobility Center, which offers a number of handy controls.

Animoski12
Level 7
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The only thing I reinstalled was the ATK package, Intel LAN and WiFi drivers and the USB 3.0 drivers that come originally with the ASUS preinstalled OS.

The one thing bugging me is that turning off the trackpad doesn't seem to work using Fn + F9, any clues on that?

Animoski12 wrote:
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The only thing I reinstalled was the ATK package, Intel LAN and WiFi drivers and the USB 3.0 drivers that come originally with the ASUS preinstalled OS.

The one thing bugging me is that turning off the trackpad doesn't seem to work using Fn + F9, any clues on that?

You installed ONLY those drivers you listed? There are some more you need, including the touchpad driver. I'm assuming you don't really mean Intel LAN, because there's no such thing.

(There's such a thing as TOO clean!!)

BrodyBoy wrote:
You installed ONLY those drivers you listed? ... (There's such a thing as TOO clean!!)

I agree! Now where's the link to that Rotational Desktop?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
I agree! Now where's the link to that Rotational Desktop?

LOL!! You suppose I should post "Asus Vibe" too???