cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 and "Offset Voltage"-- How much to offset??

johnrr6
Level 8
I have watched JJ's Video twice on X79 overclocking-----very well done. But i do have a question about Offset voltage and how much it should be.

The way I understand it----the offset allows for the processor to go up and down voltage wise as the processor goes up and down step wise-----using Speed Step and C-State.

An efficent way to consume voltage and keep heat levels way down at idle or lower speeds/steps----when the additional voltage is not needed.

But JJ in his overclock video recommends a setting of + .2000 as the general offset.

If my processor (during auto overclocking) was using 1.460 to achieve a 4.8 overclock----that means (if I understand offset correctly) that it was using a standard vcore of 1.260----with an offset of an additiona + .200o vcore----which then gives it 1.460

and at lower speed demands/steps/states----where that additional voltage is not required-----it would drop back to a vcore of 1.260 thus saving voltafge/heat/wear and tear on the processor.

Bottom line is how do I come up with a proper offset voltage setting????

And.......am I understanding this correctly??:confused:
i7 3930 @ 4.6 GHz
Asus P9X79 Pro
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD in Asus SSD Cache
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
John you have pretty much got the concept of what offset is all about.

Now to the specifics.

Each part of the hardware puzzle has unique and distinct characteristics. So while JJ was able to provide a generic value the optimum value will be particular to each CPU.

I would suggest using the +.2000 offset as a starting point and then over time fine tune what works best for your system. A key point you need to keep in mind is the min and max range that the offset brings to your voltage budget. Too a low a upper level and stability might be impacted during extreme or maximum stress situations when the CPU will need the additional voltage that the offset provides. Video rendering that will be using all the core is an example of this. Your baseball stuff in other words.

Small steps and do a test run using the software that most stresses your system. Post back how you get on with this please as I am sure it will be of value to others in similar situations.

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thomas
Level 10
Following on from HiVizMan, the voltages that we recommend should be though of more as a reference point. As you may know every CPU is slightly different when overclocked, some require slightly more or less voltage compared to others. I would suggest trying the voltages that we suggest, performing a full stress test to confirm the system is 100% stable and then start the process of slowly reducing the voltages (again running a stress test at ever step) till you find when it is no longer stable on either load or when idle.

When you reach the point where the voltage is low enough to cause instability you should slightly increase it so that you are back within the safe area.

Once you do this hopefully you will find the best/lowest voltage for the overclock which you are trying to obtain. This will benefit you by reducing the amount of power used and also the CPU will run at a lower temperature.

Hope that helps 🙂
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

chrsplmr
Level 18
Now we are getting back to normal...great info Guyz+..

...dare I say even a little better than normal... Good to see you here
Thomas, HiViz..

Welcome New ROG Member johnrr6... enjoy.c.

Many thanks for the positive feedback ^_^

Also, I checked out the content in your signature!

Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

After much experimentation....

I have had great success with 0.050 as my offset voltage setting.....:o

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I have a very stable 4.6 overclock which I can video edit or play games for hours--- with absolutely no issues....

Temps stay very reasonable with the H-100 Watercooler and the voltage draw goes up and down nicely as the system demands.

Seems VERY efficient and I am not stuck at a constant voltage setting which to me is an an inefficient approach.

SpeedStep seems to be functioning perfectly along with C1E.

I REALLY like this capability and the Digi + power setup from Asus.

I have gotten decent overclocks before on other boards and processors----but ALWAYS with fixed voltages. This way is just so much.....better.....

At least for me LOL
i7 3930 @ 4.6 GHz
Asus P9X79 Pro
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD in Asus SSD Cache
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good for you mate and thanks for the posting back with the outcome.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I also followed JJs youtube guide.

I also put offset to 0.05. That gives me 1.432 at load, wich seems enough to get 4.8ghz for me.

JJ puts VCCSA, as well as VTTCPU at manual 1.100.
Should I set them at auto?
3930k @ 4.8 GHz
Asus P9X79
Phanteks ph-tc14pe
32 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
80gb intel x25 ssd
Gigabyte GTS 450
Corsair AX750
Define R3

techvslife
Level 7
btw, I think it would be useful for someone (maybe at asus?) to provide a table of offset voltages (against clock Ghz) that have been used and passed some basic crash tests (reboots, prime95)--every chip is different etc., but it would be useful to have a range or guide as a starting point. I've seen tables of fixed voltages but not of offset voltages. (in my limited experience, it's not hard to get something that passes 24 hours of prime95 and occt up to 4.5 or so, but every now and then one gets problems on boot; so for my own case, I'd like to see the most conservative settings that will produce the most stable overclocks. Perhaps most people here would more willingly sacrifice stability for speed; I'd like to get a slight speed bump to make use of Intel's very generous safety margin--at least my guess is that they give themselves at least a 15% margin where there would be no significant jump in anomalies, especially given the lack of pressure from amd. but that's only a guess.)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Right consider that put on the to explore the possibility of it actually working or having any value list. 🙂

The reason I am saying that - while totally seeing the value something like that would have to members - is because each CPU is unique in the voltage needs and requirements. And that kind of list might just be another klunked over-clocking profile that works some of he time and causes more support questions than it cures. But I will not write it off until I have tested with a couple of CPU's