cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VX7SX No date in rescue password field, Is it really dead?

auboomer
Level 7
Hi I have a VX7SX, Yes the Orange Brum, Brum one. Seems to be very similar to the G53SW. it boots to the bios password screen, My son who set the password, can't find his scrap of paper with it written on or remember what it was, i took it into Asustech as the helpline said it could be fixed there, if i brought in the appropriate receipt and id, in case it was stolen i guess, The tech there said no problem wandered off with the laptop to one of their terminals, and came right back, he showed me that pressing alt plus R brings up a Enter Rescue Password box. But this box should have a date in it so that he could generate a password, mine is blank... He told me my only option is a motherboard replacement, the part cost was $380 and $200 for fitting, Yes Australian prices are higher.

Hopefully this is the correct place for my Query, Hopefully there is a Fix.

Unimportant back story:

I got the laptop a few years ago, one of the guys from work heard the two young It guys saying that they, were getting a better price on new gaming laptops, as well as buying through the business to save tax, so he got into the deal without really checking out the machine he was buying, they did ask him if he wanted orange, he answered that he didn't like Apples so Orange was the way to go. He didn't know he was making a color choice...He didn't expect a bright orange laptop that made Brum, Brum noises. Six months later i purchased from him a lovely laptop, with some eccentricities, it had never been used...

Due to having to work, the only games i play are "Steam Updating", Alternatively "Origin Updating" or Civ 4 because of the two previous attempts. My son 14 YO mostly took over the laptop due to a lag issue he has when playing Minecraft on his laptop, Minecraft is if course addictive, also his laptop has so many toolbars and junk he keeps loading there is not much visible screen, (he has only just realized that i could have kept his game saves when reloading his OS, i did keep his other files, eg amusing ringtones) My smaller son heard the laptop startup late at night, recognized the opportunity for extortion and obtained some nice Yu Gi Oh cards. Larger son decided that he would research how to stop the startup noise, found out that it was a bios setting, went into the bios, and while he was there decided that he would keep his brother out by putting a cunning password that his brother would never guess, he thinks it was bang or explode or something similar. He is almost certain he wrote it on a piece of paper, Almost certain.

We tried many words, I researched quite a bit on the net, though i didn't find anything about the rescue password, so not that well, eventually i contacted ASUS, and made the Journey to the tech center, watched the smiling tech show an old gent how to recover his google password, saw his look brighten when he saw the black coffin my Lamborgini came in, almost didn't snicker when i opened it so he could see the Glorious Orange plumage, he checked my paperwork, said no problem we can fix that now, he pressed alt and R, the box opened with no date, he checked on a terminal and said the bios is corrupt, and my only option is to get them to fit another motherboard.
0 REPLIES 0