cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Mod Options

edmak1804
Level 7
Just asking for future proofing, anyone know of PC tower ceses that would fit a Mobile (IE: Laptop) Motherboard? Im just thinking long term (2-3 years) can i gut this entire tower and mount it in an off the shelf PC tower? I'm assuming the big issue is the mounting screws/bracket are in different positions, extended SATA cables and power cables would solve any issues with the hard drive and graphics cards, and also i know the memory is laptop bracket sized. What about the power supply?
1 REPLY 1

Korth
Level 14
A lot of laptops use proprietary model-specific motherboards - the mobo is often the first thing a manufacturer can reshape and redesign so that the overall dimensions (and price, and capabilities) of the laptop is what they want to offer.

I've seen a lot of laptops use modified "FlexATX" form factors - these would fit into pretty much any chassis would could accomodate standard ATX. But they wouldn't be compatible with ATX-based PSUs, laptops invariably use battery power and often integrate the charging circuitry onto the mobo (or onto a modular logic board which uses some non-ATX power connection to the motherboard). Mobile GPUs have their own form factors as well, laptop mobos can't accept normal PCIe hardware. If you really want to get into the hardware/electrical side of things then you could conceivably fit any random mainboard from any kind of mobile computer into any kind of chassis large enough to hold it.

What you want to accomplish is not impossible (and many people have done this sort of thing with many different mobile devices). But you should first narrow yourself to a particular laptop model or chassis style or other particular hardware requirements before digging for deeper details. Short answer is "it depends" on too many different proprietary variations and on the hardware "standards" which have evolved in two different PC industries.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]