cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW Screen problem after wake from standby - halo, solved with 209 or later bios?

SamSimon
Level 7
Dear all,

I bought my G501JW a couple of weeks ago. Everything all right so far, but today... I had it on playing some music with VLC, I was in a different room. Then I got back to the laptop and I immediately noticed a halo on the screen. It's close to the borders of it, and if I take a screenshot and I look at it in the unaffected part of the screen, everything seems normal. So it doesn't seem like a software problem, but a hardware one, I suspect. :--(

Anybody has experienced anything similar? WHat should I do?

Thank you for your help.
14 REPLIES 14

Dragonhearted
Level 7
Same issue here, have had the unit about 2 weeks now and woke up this am to the "halo effect", hoping someone has experience with this and can comment

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If someone could post a picture that would be great, but if you haven't tried attaching an external monitor, try this to confirm if the problem is related to only the notebook screen or something else.

Might not be as conclusive, but if you still see the same problem on just the notebook screen (not on an external monitor) in the bios or Windows 'Safe Mode', that can also point to a hardware issue with the notebook screen, but be sure to compare with an external monitor too.

If it appears to be a possible hardware problem related to the notebook screen, you probably want to start talking to your store if there is still time to return or replace the unit through them.

You may also want to check with your local ASUS support and arrange to send it back for repair later if necessary.
http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Thanks and good luck in getting a quick solution.

Just a small update: I haven't tried an external monitor yet, but the "problem" is that the halo effect never happened again. This is not a problem per se, but the point is that I can do very little for it. If it does it again, then I will certainly contact ASUS.

Thank you!

cl-Albert
SamSimon wrote:
Just a small update: I haven't tried an external monitor yet, but the "problem" is that the halo effect never happened again. This is not a problem per se, but the point is that I can do very little for it. If it does it again, then I will certainly contact ASUS.

Thanks for the update, but if the problem is intermittent, it can always make things more difficult to solve since repair may wonder if the problem is caused by hardware or software.

Yes, you may want to compare with an external monitor and take a picture if the problem comes back to discuss with ASUS support about what may happen if you send it back for repair.

Good luck!

I seem to have this issue as well. It seems to be triggered randomly when waking the system up where the screen has been off for a while.

When it doesn't happen it seems to be more or less normal.

It doesn't show up on a 2nd monitor, so I guess it's some hardware problem.

cl-Albert
Zinterax wrote:
I seem to have this issue as well. It seems to be triggered randomly when waking the system up where the screen has been off for a while.

When it doesn't happen it seems to be more or less normal.

It doesn't show up on a 2nd monitor, so I guess it's some hardware problem.

Hi Zinterax,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the pictures!

Received your PM, but don't think I can reply to your guest account, so posting here instead.
You can send me more PMs, but I'll need to reply here until your PM function is working.

Anyway, don't have much more information on my end for this right now unfortunately, but I don't hear everything although you may want to consider a bios update mentioned below.

If you don't mind trying a bios update (which always has the (remote?) possibility of killing your unit if something goes wrong), the G501JW 209 bios sounds like it might be able to help with this, but I haven't heard more feedback about it yet to be sure if it will solve this problem.
Since a newer G501JW 210 bios is posted, you can use it instead which should still have the fix from the 209 bios, or just update to it later if necessary.

Otherwise, if you still have time to return or swap the unit with the store, this is always something to consider, or you may want to contact your local ASUS support to see if they have more ideas and arrange the RMA if it makes sense.

http://www.asus.com/support/callus

ASUS repair will always want to catch the problem at the office though, so it's better if you can provide suggestions for repair to see the problem when they receive your unit especially when the problem is intermittent.

Feel free to discuss more or give us an update about how everything turns out.
Good luck!

Installed the 210 bios this morning and have been letting it go to sleep and waking it up off and on for a few hours and have not seen the halo return.

So hopefully the new bios has fixed the issue. I'll give it some more time and provide an update if it comes back or remains resolved.

cl-Albert
Thanks for the update Zinterax and please keep us updated if you can!

Ok, it happened again: twice in the last three days. In both cases the screen was "recovering" from an idle period of a few hours.

This time I took pictures, though!

I contacted the shop where I bought the laptop and they suggested contacting ASUS. Since this forum is ASUS, basically, and the suggestion seems to be the BIOS update, I guess that I'll do that. In the meanwhile, if anybody has some update on this, please post here!