cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access BIOS

Booska
Level 7
Hi,

I was in the process of overclocking my 5960x and on restarting while holding down the Delete key, my system would just hang at the ROG screen that shows up before the BIOS loaded. I was forced to do a hard shutdown. But when I restarted and Windows loaded it recommended repairing the startup system. I said yes and it did its thing. Now my system works fine, but I can't access the BIOS at all! Holding down the Delete key or F2 have no effect. It just goes from the ROG screen straight to Windows and launches normally, completely skipping over the BIOS.

Does anyone have an idea how to get back into my BIOS?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

samboy87
Level 9
Try clearing CMOS, and it should work.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Remove the fan from the CPU header. During POST the system will halt with a CPU fan error waiting for F1 to be pressed to access the UEFI.

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but I have a similar problem. I wasn't even overclocking at the time, BUT what I did do at some point in time, is set the XMP profile on my motherboard. Since then, I would get two beeps when loading, one might've been an overlocking warning and the other was most definitely a post beep. I would see the UEFI as normal, and occasionally, it would show me "Overclocking Failure" and to press F1 to enter the BIOS. I would do that, exit without saving changes and my computer would boot into Windows 10, no problem.

All of the sudden, I'm experiencing a similar problem as the OP. My computer will boot into Windows 10, BUT I am not seeing my UEFI screen, at all. I hear the high pitched, sharp beep, but not the post beep. Not only that, when my computer DOES boot into Windows 10, my display is all the sudden set to "Display Device on: Mobile PC Display". After checking the Device Manager, my GTX 980 IS working properly, according to the Properties.

That said, would resetting my CMOS battery take care of the problem? I tried disabling Fast Boot within Windows 10, that did nothing so I re-enabled it.

If I need to create a separate thread, let me know. I'll gladly do so.

Pleot
Level 8
what I would do is to safe boot bios (there is a button on RE5 for that purpose), then once in bios try to see what is the problem or even reset to defaults if it is dificult to repair ... But im just a noob at this... XMP profiles change configurations that one does not even know and that can be a problem when things go wrong.

Pleot wrote:
what I would do is to safe boot bios (there is a button on RE5 for that purpose), then once in bios try to see what is the problem or even reset to defaults if it is dificult to repair ... But im just a noob at this... XMP profiles change configurations that one does not even know and that can be a problem when things go wrong.

Good answer... ^^^^^

What about using the CLEAR CMOS Button next to the USB 2.0 ports in the back, is that the same as resetting the CMOS battery?

JOSHSKORN wrote:
What about using the CLEAR CMOS Button next to the USB 2.0 ports in the back, is that the same as resetting the CMOS battery?

Yes.

Chino wrote:
Yes.

Tell me if this sounds correct. I unplugged everything, turned the power rocker switch off, then the Green LED went off. Pressing the Clear CMOS button did nothing. I then tried again, I pressed the CLR CMOS button immediately after removing the power cable before the LED could go DIM, and I was able to boot my computer to the point where I could access the BIOS and it actually recognized my video card.

Now I have just one problem left. I'm still not getting a POST beep, but I'm able to access the BIOS. Does this seem right? I'm guessing not, so how do I fix this?

Hardliner
Level 11
(Shhhh . . . if I can whisper into the thread: "You guys rock for helping people, especially when they feel like their PC-world has ended.")

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!