cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX poor performance (unstable GPU?)

TimothyL
Level 7
Hey everybody, I've purchased a G750JX notebook and I've been playing Path of Exile, a relatively low end game, on it most of the time and the performance was fairly poor.

What I've noticed is the in-game FPS counter is constantly spiking between 30 and 60 fps. I had a look using Asus GPU Tweak and noticed my GPU Memory Clock speed is also radically spiking between 810 MHz and 4010 MHz, which I've read to be the clock speeds when the power cord is unplugged/plugged. My notebook is always plugged in when I'm playing games on it though.

(anyone know how to make images show as thumbnails?)

In-game FPS counter

GPU Tweak:

I've looked up a couple other videos of G750JX notebooks running some recent games since I thought the hardware should be able to handle them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgR1QVYLGY
The video shows the game running at 1080p with mostly Medium/High settings while I am barely reaching 30 fps at 720p with all Lowest settings...

Another example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFNRmbAGDA
The video shows the game running at 1080p with Medium/Low settings. On my machine, however, the game runs on average 25 fps with all Lowest settings at 720p...

All my video drivers are the latest, no overclocking has been done. Anybody can provide some help/insight on what the issue may be?

Thanks,
Timothy
14 REPLIES 14

Jali24
Level 7
Hello timohty! Try to force vsync off from the game. Seems like the game rotates between 30 and 60 fps. If that doesnt help, then try to force vsync on from nvidia control panel.

Edit: Can you tell me what temperatures youre getting while playing dying light?

Hey Jali, thanks for the help.

VSync is off both in-game and in NVIDIA Control Panel.

As for the temperature when playing Dying Light, it's pretty good and only around 46-47 degrees. In fact temperature and noise has never been a problem.

Hey can you confirm that your cpu is 2.4/3.2 ghz while using best performance option in ac mode?

Seems like the gpu isn't faulty, something else is throttling your system.
Can you get me a pic from cpu-z ?

Here's a screenshot with the power plan switched to High Performance mode:
That looks like it's at the supposed 3.2 GHz; however, from time to time it did display around ~2696 MHz... I'm wondering it is behaving like the GPU where it's rapidly jumping between 2.4 GHz and 3.2 GHz as well? It's hard to tell without a graph like in GPU-Z though...

(Let me know if images of the other tabs are needed)

Okay the cpu seems fine also, it does switch to turbo mode for time to time to boost performance to 3.2Ghz and goes back to 2.6Ghz after that.
How the GPU is working while playing in high performance mode?

Try to download furmark and just run it and give me a picture from asus gpu tweak while running it? Run it for about 5-10 minutes.
Can you also provide a picture from your power supply? I need to see the specs from it.

Also try to use your power plug to a grounded ac socket? If it is already then try to switch to a different socket

I had a run with furmark for 5 minutes at 1920 x 1080 and only getting an average of 5fps. Temperature was only around 40-50 degrees.

Here's an image of GPU Tweak while Furmark is running:

And some stats from Furmark that may be helpful:

The current one is already grounded but i tried it on another outlet and the performance hasn't changed.
Here are the power supply specs:

Model: ADP-180MB F
Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 2.34A
Output: 19.5V (DC) 9.23A (Center positive polarity)

Jali24
Level 7
Okay thanks for the info! Everything else looks okay expect the power limit from gpu.

Can you confirm that the pci express link option is not on power safe on best performance? advanced power options->Pci express link settings
http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/271645d1370664944-pcie-link-state-power-management-...

Try to overlock to max gpu core and see what happens. Because there is a problem with your card. Something is limiting the gpu core speed.

EDIT: try also set nvidia controll panel 3d settings to prefer maximum performance globally
EDIT: Go to bios and tell me what bios you're having? V. 208 is newest for your laptop

Yep; both "On battery" and "Plugged in" are set to Off in High performance mode.

The NVIDIA Control Panel has been set to a prefer performance as one of the initial steps I tried; I set it back to the defaults (advanced 3D image settings) just now and it didn't seem to change. It's back at the Performance preference now.

As for the BIOS, it's seems to be 209 (compared to supposed latest 208):
American Megatrends Inc. G750JX.209, 2013-11-18

Just to provide some more info: here's what GPU Tweak looks like when it's on idle in high performance mode:

And the spiky memory clock speeds when Furmark or games are running:

(Couldn't include in the screenshots but the GPU Usage % is at 0-2% when on idle and at a consistent 99-100% where memory clock is jumping between high/low speeds)

Jali24
Level 7
Okay thats really greepy. Your gpu works at normal speed on idle but when you play games/benchmark it automatically drops to lowest possible even though youre not gettings high temps.

Can you provide me other gpu monitor information like gpu temp and power usage? They are usually at top of the monitor.
Somehow your card doesnt handle games or benchmarks at all, still works as charm when idling.

As you have told me everything I need and none of them hasnt worked so try to do clean installation for your gpu drivers and see if it helps.

How is the warranty? You still have it?

Edit: try without battery if theres any difference xd