cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRM cooling

Tibcsi
Level 7
I have an ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard. Unfortunatelly this is a second MB, becasue the first one has been burned.
They sad to me this was because VRM has no good cooling. There is only one heatsink for that, and i use watercooling system. So no airflow at VRM. What do you think what could i do, or how to solve this issue? I thought for the 9mm fan and i install it by manual.

Have you any idea? The PC case is a Aerocool DS200 BE

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

waintdeir
Level 7
Hi,
as far i know, you will need some Airflow in your case even if most of the components are watercooled.
Maybe you stress your VRM because of overclocking the cpu an need some extra airflow to this cooler.
Do you have mainboard-waterblock(s)?
The Aerocool DS200 BE is a nice case ... are the two stock fans still installed (140mm front; 120mm back)?

waintdeir wrote:
Hi,
as far i know, you will need some Airflow in your case even if most of the components are watercooled.
Maybe you stress your VRM because of overclocking the cpu an need some extra airflow to this cooler.
Do you have mainboard-waterblock(s)?
The Aerocool DS200 BE is a nice case ... are the two stock fans still installed (140mm front; 120mm back)?

The watercooler radiator is on the front, because i couldn't put it to the top. So 2 fans are in the front, one is in the back (original 12mm), and one 14mm fan is on the top. Unfortunatelly i have no mainboard waterblock.

Korth
Level 14
It is a nice case. You can install a 120mm/140mm rear exhaust and two top mounted 120mm/140mm exhaust fans. You can install some sort of ducting to ensure there's airflow across the VRM heatsinks. You can install a large CPU air cooler which supports three fans to ensure there's stronger airflow around the CPU socket. You could install a RAM cooler which spills some air around the VRMs. You could cut into the side panel to install an intake blowhole.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
It is a nice case. You can install a 120mm/140mm rear exhaust and two top mounted 120mm/140mm exhaust fans. You can install some sort of ducting to ensure there's airflow across the VRM heatsinks. You can install a large CPU air cooler which supports three fans to ensure there's stronger airflow around the CPU socket. You could install a RAM cooler which spills some air around the VRMs. You could cut into the side panel to install an intake blowhole.

I wouldn't install a CPU aircooler, becasue i bought a watercooler (COOLERMASTER Nepton 240M RL-N24M-24PK-R1)