cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY-RH71 replacing default PCIE SSD Question

bdotlum
Level 7
Hi everyone. This will be my first gaming laptop and I don't know too much about computers. I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the default PCIE ssd with the Samsung SM951 SM951 NVME ssd or the new Samsung 950 PRO? And if that is possible which one is better? Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

bdotlum
Level 7
No one knows?

950 is the newer version. Lower power consumption and all. Supposedly 950 is faster.
Since 950 and 951 both have immature drivers, we'll have to wait and see.

Main difference is 951 is 64Gb FLASH and 950 is Vertical NAND 128Gb.
For most part, 950 will outperform 951 except for 4k Random Writes except for AHCI mode.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb

fiido wrote:
950 is the newer version. Lower power consumption and all. Supposedly 950 is faster.
Since 950 and 951 both have immature drivers, we'll have to wait and see.

Main difference is 951 is 64Gb FLASH and 950 is Vertical NAND 128Gb.
For most part, 950 will outperform 951 except for 4k Random Writes except for AHCI mode.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's worth the upgrade from the stock ssd? Newegg is currently offering a promo on the new Samsung 950 PRO
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820147467&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=K...

toronto699
Level 13
what will u gain ? for the cost . if it makes u happy upgrade ..and if u sold the stock SSD would it be a worth the upgrade ?
bdotlum do u happen to live in TO? there is an Asus Service Center in Markham , Was impressed by what they had on display at their shop.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 512gb ssd since the model I'm getting only comes with a 128 gb ssd. A lot of people say that it's easy to burn through 128gb quick. No I don't live in TO though

toronto699
Level 13
id replace the stock 128gb ssd to , 128gb is not enough

Well, I will say at the moment, I cannot get this drive to work as an OS drive for the exact model you are reffering to (G752VT-RH71). Windows 10 just does not see the drive. I am somewhat upset and raising a stink in several locations (ASUS, Samsung, xoticpc) trying to get a response. Asus suggested I take it to Geek Squad to have them look at it. LOL!!!

travo5200 wrote:
Well, I will say at the moment, I cannot get this drive to work as an OS drive for the exact model you are reffering to (G752VT-RH71). Windows 10 just does not see the drive. I am somewhat upset and raising a stink in several locations (ASUS, Samsung, xoticpc) trying to get a response. Asus suggested I take it to Geek Squad to have them look at it. LOL!!!

You need to have some defect, iam Reading forums and i am 100% sure full nvm disk is supported. Also, if you have ahci it is more than sure that it wuld work

golomb13 wrote:
You need to have some defect, iam Reading forums and i am 100% sure full nvm disk is supported. Also, if you have ahci it is more than sure that it wuld work

The defect is that I bought a brand new model. The defect is the G752, having two M.2 PCI-e slots, does not show up in the Windows 10 installer. Asus tech support has been garbage so far probably because they don't want to deal with it. I was told to take it to a local repair like Geek Squad. WTF is that!!! Who knows. Do YOU have a G752VT with a working sm951 or any other M.2 ssd in it? Every post on this forum about this model and M.2 ssd's show that the defect is the laptop.