cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to restore my laptop to factory defaults, help please?

jesselindsay
Level 7
Hi! So im sure this is a very easy fix, I am just trying to restore my asus ROG laptop to factory defaults after I bought it from a coworker who has a TON of crap on here and seamingly a lot of virus/etc I want to rid myself of. Any info would help, thanks a ton!

Jesse Lindsay
www.jesselindsay.com
10 REPLIES 10

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Push F9 when you boot your notebook (when you see the Asus logo) then you should acess the reinstallation utility 🙂

When you have done the installation, you should update your notebook to the latest drivers.

Get rid off all bloatware that you don't need.

Free security programs:
Microsoft Security Essentials
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
Combofix
(Guide to use Combofix)

Useful programs:
CCleaner
HWinfo64
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

BrodyBoy
Level 10
jesselindsay wrote:
Hi! So im sure this is a very easy fix, I am just trying to restore my asus ROG laptop to factory defaults after I bought it from a coworker who has a TON of crap on here and seamingly a lot of virus/etc I want to rid myself of. Any info would help, thanks a ton!

Jesse Lindsay
www.jesselindsay.com

If the F9 recovery doesn't work, look in Disk Management to make sure the recovery partition still exists. (It should be a 25Gb hidden partition right before the C: drive.) If your coworker deleted it, you would need to do a clean Windows install or buy an Asus recovery disk.

After pressing f9 and getting to the correct screen what partition are we suposed to select? Im pretty sure if i pick the wrong one everything gets deleted.. 1, 2, or 3? Partition 1?

-""Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:
Recover Windows to first partition only.
This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".
Recover Windows to entire HD.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive "C".
Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).""

DGMJR wrote:
This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".
This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive "C".
This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).""

Here is your answer, choose the option that you feel is the best 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Bad answer. keeping windows.. and just reseting it to factory settings which 1? 1? lol

DGMJR wrote:
After pressing f9 and getting to the correct screen what partition are we suposed to select? Im pretty sure if i pick the wrong one everything gets deleted.. 1, 2, or 3? Partition 1?

@DGMJR: Each owner's needs in doing a factory restore are unique to their situation, so there isn't any one "right" answer to your question. Since a factory restore is a data-destructive process, it's important to be clear on what you want to accomplish with it. Be careful when co-opting another person's question/thread about it....the rest of us may not necessarily notice that we're not talking to the OP anymore and you could end up with advice meant for a different situation than yours. 😉

To answer your question, the important difference is between Option #1 and all others.

Option #1 ("Recover to the first partition only") is the least destructive. But it DOES completely overwrite the existing OS partition on your primary hard drive.....ALL added programs, customization, and personal data on that partition will be lost, and replaced by the generic OEM installation.

Options #2 and #3 ("Recover to the entire hard drive") should be used very cautiously, as they overwrite the ENTIRE primary hard drive, including all existing data partitions. ANYTHING that you need on that hard drive should be backed up before you proceed with the factory using one of these options.

• Option #2 overwrites the entire HDD and creates two partitions: the 25Gb recovery partition, and one big OS partition.
  • Option #2 overwrites the entire HDD and creates three partitions: the 25Gb recovery partition, an OS partition, and one data partition.

In all cases, the factory restore will leave your computer's Windows installation in its out-of-the-box state.....after the final reboot of the restore, you'll be presented with the first-time user setup wizard.

Just want to note, when launching the restore via F9, it does say it is loading windows. This is being loaded from the recovery, hidden, partition, and not C:. This is as it should be.

The three options are:

Overwrite C: only , leaving any data you have on 😧 intact.

Merge C: and D:, and in doing so overwrite C: with default windows install, and delete all data from the old 😧 partition. I would guess if you had created other partitions in the old partition space, these would also be merged into the single partition.

Overwrite C: and D:, leaving the partitioning as is, but deleting all existing data, returning C: to factory default, and 😧 to empty state. This is as my ASUS laptops were purchased, with both C: and 😧 partitions already created on the HD.

None of the 3 options will overwrite the hidden recovery partition.

I have performed the first and third options on two of my ASUS laptops. Option 2 would probably work, but it is poor housekeeping to have one big partition with the OS on it.

Good luck, and I hope this is helpful.

I have the factory reset cd with the asus rog logo on it and stuff. Never used it. I want to reset everything to factory. I have windows 10 running right now. My cd-rom did not response to cd when i tried to launch it. Nothing happens. Then i decided to eject the cd from the disk. That time my cd-rom woudlnt let me take the cd. It does nothing when i press the button on cd-rom. So i took it myself by disambling. The question is, why my computer doesnt recognize the cd. I tried cleaning the laser stuff didnt work. May that be relative to UEFI stuff since i am on win10. Any ideas ?

Yes factory disk has software and drivers on it. It will open in windows.

With the G75VW you would have had to create your restore DVD's or BR Disk.
When the notebook was new it asked you every few minutes to create these restore disk set. Mine were on 5 DVD's.
The G75VW came stock UEFI. With Windows 7, I don't think any came with 8.1 maybe some of the last ones those were probably upgraded. Mine still runs great on 8.1, I haven't seen any reason to try to make it work on windows 10
I would recommend purchasing window 8.1 for it. Drivers are available at Asus Support Downloads
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro