cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus V LAN Concept

Thijsiez
Level 7
Soooooo hi guys,
I've been thinking and I came to the conclusion that the Maximus line needs a miniDTX motherboard. I've been seeing a lot of SFF gaming pc builds but most of them use some crappy miniITX H67 motherboard. I think that the ROG design team at Asus can make something way more awesome, like a miniDTX Z68 motherboard. I included a picture I made with GIMP but it still looks like a cows behind, and please ignore the I/O, I didn't change it from the underlaying Zotac NM10-B-E.
The downside of miniDTX is that it's waaay smaller than mATX, which means there'd have to be some compromises, like fewer MOSFET's, only two DDR3 slots and a really well thought out pcb layout.
If you look at the picture, I imagined the MOSFET's under the heatsinks to the left of the socket and the chipset between the PCIe slots and the socket. And maybe some ROG-buttons above the ram slots.
The features I'd like to keep are the Virtu, iROG, and things like dual BIOS.
Is there anyone here that's with me on this idea or is this really far-fetched and almost impossible. I'd like to hear all your thoughts on this.

Edit: I forgot to say, but you may have noticed it in the title, that this is an idea for the new Ivy Bridge line of motherboards. I think it would be a good product since A LOT of people are building SFF gaming pc's and HTPC's these days
- Thijsiez

Never tried, never known
18 REPLIES 18

chrsplmr
Level 18
I'd ROG a hamster if ya holds its head...hahahhaa... extreme...
now if you mount an xpander on that...u got something.... or on the back...hehehe...
little hatbox...yea...that would work...c.

xeromist
Why not Mini-ITX 2.0?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thijsiez
Level 7
I figured that miniDTX has some more surface area for capacitors etc which would make room for more features and since most SFF cases have 2 expansion slots i thought miniDTX would be the better option
- Thijsiez

Never tried, never known

Thijsiez
Level 7
I could also imagine it shipping with an optional ROG watercooling kit with Corsair/CoolIt or Antec/Asetek as OEM, but with a really fancy lit up ROG logo on the pump. This would keep the overall size down as it wouldnt need a huge block of metal sitting on its cores to keep it cool. Add a nice GTX6** something when it's released and you've got yourselfs a pretty darn awesome pc right there
- Thijsiez

Never tried, never known

Thijsiez
Level 7
Something just popped up in the back of my head, like a super awesome all-ROG branded LAN pc with a handle and fancy LED lighting. For the hardware something like my concept board + ivy bridge 2600K replacement + SLI GTX6** ROG cards and a friggin badass case, keeping size to a minimum while maximizing efficiency
- Thijsiez

Never tried, never known

Thijsiez wrote:
Something just popped up in the back of my head, like a super awesome all-ROG branded LAN pc with a handle and fancy LED lighting. For the hardware something like my concept board + ivy bridge 2600K replacement + SLI GTX6** ROG cards and a friggin badass case, keeping size to a minimum while maximizing efficiency

I'm not sure if ASUS is ready to go into the really high end boutique PC business, but it would certainly be interesting to see.

ASUS did have this concept in a full case but I'm not sure if it ever went on sale:
http://www.asus.com/Desktop/Gaming/ROG_CG8490/

Also it has the Essentio line but those are a bit more tame than you're looking for I think.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thijsiez
Level 7
I based my idea on that very pc you linked but i think since it's full tower they'd have to much competition from alienware. My idea would be in a completely different segment, which would give them a monopoly on that market. A small LAN pc for about 1200 bucks (is that a realistic price?) but all the hardware will also be available as a seperate product so people can build their own rigs. Maybe its just an idea but if the price is right and it keeps its ROG awesomeness i can see a lot of people buying these products.
- Thijsiez

Never tried, never known

xeromist
Sure, there are always folks who'd rather buy pre-built and warrantied so I'm sure there would be a market for such a thing. The trick is to find a large enough market and profit margin that it covers the development & support costs while providing a decent return.

Thijsiez
Level 7
Well, since you could also sell all the components seperately this would make designing one component more profitable. Maybe a coop product from Asus and Silverstone since their Sugo 08 would be an awesome case for this purpose. black and red colorscheme with red led's :w00t:
- Thijsiez

Never tried, never known