cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 left CPU fan noise

skllmyh
Level 7
Hi,

I'm a ROG user for a year and never had a problem until now.

For 2 weeks its wizzling so loud. I also disseambled and cleaned the fan. I don't know what else to do.. What do you guys think?

4 REPLIES 4

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Pull it apart again, place the fan to the vacuum cleaner and suck out everything possible. Hold the blade of course, to make sure it's not spinning when you do this.)

An absolute bonus is if you have a pipe cleaner and dip it in isopropyl, you can bend it around and slot it under the blades to work it around the underside near the shaft.

Below: You need to be able to pull the fan case open to do this.

After, if you have any olive oil (or Vaseline) lying around, let a drop go in where the fan shaft is, going into the armature ( also known as the electric magnet motor thingy) and give it a good spinning with your finger. Possibly use the vacuum again but this time let it spin. Try to get the excess oil out before placing it back into the machine.

P.S. Olive Oil isn't conductive, and there's no components around that area that'd get any contact with the oil in the first place.
I myself use Vaseline for my fans because it's a JELLY and it stays where I tell it to stay and doesn't argue with me. Remember, your fans are technically UPSIDE DOWN inside the case.

Thirdly, if you haven't noticed, your fan sinks aren't screwed down by anything, they actually sit FREELY and rely on the CPU / GPU's screws and their Fans respectively (total of 7 screws) to stay down in the case. Place something beneath and possibly above the heatsink like a bit of foam or anything that can withstand 60-70*C constant temperature to bridge the gap under / above the sink to stop vibration.

The foam on the heatsink trick of course is if you cannot fix the fan, this should minimise the noise.

Feel free to discuss my botchy solution if you FEEL it doesn't appeal to you / sound safe / ethical / voids warranty.

The most extreme, yet possible way is to take the fan and literally dunk it into water and give it a wash... filtered or distilled would be better. As long as you allow the fan to dry, and I mean.. really dry, give it a shake and possibly vacuum it (again) to make sure NO water is present and putting it in a ziplock bag with maybe half a cup of rice (to absorb all the moisture) it would then well.. be clean of anything that could have built up inside of it.

Only do this if you're certain your fan has no capacitors on the daughter-boards beneath the armature!

Just remember you need to oil it again after washing it.

If you're thinking of using WD40 to clean it, I recommend NOT doing this, as WD40 remains and eventually dries out. Meaning, if you apply WD40 to clean it, and add oil after (or rely on WD40 alone) it will dry out and your fan will become worse.

Darnassus wrote:

thanks for replying. I'll try to disassembly again and follow your advices. it really takes a lot of pressure to deal with Asus Rog series laptops.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
skllmyh wrote:
thanks for replying. I'll try to disassembly again and follow your advices. it really takes a lot of pressure to deal with Asus Rog series laptops.

Try the foam trick first. ;x

Hey so I had this same exact problem and fixed it this way. Since ASUS customer support would not provide me with a new fan even though I knew how to do the maintenance and knew the exact part I needed. PN: KSB0612HB-B302 and the guy I spoke to was a moron very unhelpful. Asus please improve your customer support experience.

Sooo I had to do things the fun way.

Obviously you already know how to remove the fan. Afterwards remove the bottom portion of the fan casing where it looks to be melted plastic tabs to be "cheaply" holding the metal face to that particular side. Once that side is removed you can easily remove the fan just by simply pulling back on it. It is only held in place by a small rotating shaft and a magnet.

Thoroughly clean the inside of the axial fan and the stator with Alcohol and then apply "3M 3 in One Oil" (its the best plz don't argue gentlemen, real men know this). Just a small couple of drops, one on the shaft and one down inside the rotor housing. You can get this just about anywhere, Home Depot Walmart wherever. Now put the fan back on the shaft and make sure you move it around a bit to get the oil where it needs to be, and make sure there is not a lot of excess oil if so then precisely wipe it up.

Here is the most important part. When you put the fan back on you then need to hold the cover... the one you pretty much with precision "broke off" because that's just the way it was manufactured. Hold the cover back on the side you took off and EYE-BALL that fan at EVERY angle. That fan must be centered just right or it will hit the casing if it has been offset, so make adjustments as needed with physical manipulation precisely until your satisfied it's centered.

Once satisfied, holding the removed metal side your asking yourself... how am I going to reconnect it to the fan assembly..... I just broke off because it was manufactured cheaply with those plastic tabs..... Well there are a number or ways I think you can think up... superglue, tape, JB weld etc.

I took an approach so if there was reason to open up the fan again that I could make it easy.....

I used tape. Heating and cooling vent tape to be exact. (The shiny silver backed one) Its very adhesive and good with heat. I cut small tiny strips of it just enough to overhang the top of the metal facing to the side of the casing for each spot where there was that "plastic BS securing it" If you have better idea please let us know. Its plenty secure as it was before.

I personally believe they could have just used this tape in the first place and it would have probably done same if not better job.

Reassembled..... No problem anymore.... works better then it ever did.... probably because of that fresh lube job.

Or you could just order another on Ebay from Hong Kong since ASUS customer support can't help. PN: KSB0612HB-B302

EZ FIX