cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bsod 101 only on Idle (windows 7 Pro 64Bit)

AirRookie
Level 7
I'm getting bsod 101 only on idle sometimes on my Z170 Hero and I don't know why it's causing it even though I increase the voltage a little but not too much, also it doesn't matter if the system is running stock or overclocked including the Ram

CPU: 6700K OC at 4.7GHz adaptive mode of 1.3V with +0.004 offset and level 8 on CLL
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero (Bios: 1202)
PSU: EVGA 850W G2
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC in SLi
OS1: Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
OS2: Ubuntu 15.10 64Bit (ubuntu doesn't fully support skylake yet because it freezes when I try to use it then it auto restart)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2X8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 1.35V

should I wait for future bios updates or get the z170 Deluxe instead if it doesn't have the same issues? (December 4 is the last day on newegg to get a refund or replacement )
21 REPLIES 21

Menthol
Level 14
If your CPU only needs 1.3 volts at 4.7 GHZ you have an above average chip, most will need closer to 1.4 volts, a bios upgrade or a different motherboard is not going to change that
I run my chip daily at 4.6 with 1.3 volts adaptive .005 offset and level 5 which gives me about 1.312 under full load, at 4.8GHZ I need closer to 1.4 volts so I assume because I haven't played with 4.7 i would need 1.35 to 1.37 volts to be stable
The Hero is one of the best boards available, CPU's are luck of the draw and need whatever the voltage that they need which is different for every CPU, it sounds like you have a very good one and just need a little fine tuning

Chino
Level 15
Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults. Also make sure you've installed all the drivers.

Sidenote. Do you have AI Suite installed?

Hey there,just to let you know IF you set everything to stock and you still get 101 code bsod your cpu is prolly defective.I had an i5-6600k totally stock that bsod 101 sometimes and after a day it wouldn't boot at stock.It needed like 1.42 to load windows.It got replaced now.

Menthol wrote:
If your CPU only needs 1.3 volts at 4.7 GHZ you have an above average chip, most will need closer to 1.4 volts, a bios upgrade or a different motherboard is not going to change that
I run my chip daily at 4.6 with 1.3 volts adaptive .005 offset and level 5 which gives me about 1.312 under full load, at 4.8GHZ I need closer to 1.4 volts so I assume because I haven't played with 4.7 i would need 1.35 to 1.37 volts to be stable
The Hero is one of the best boards available, CPU's are luck of the draw and need whatever the voltage that they need which is different for every CPU, it sounds like you have a very good one and just need a little fine tuning

my system doesn't seem to bsod anymore on OC settings on idle, at 4.7GHz adaptive mode of 1.3V with +0.005 offset and level 7 on CLL it can run without any problems so far, also I overclocked it to 4.8GHz with adaptive mode of 1.32V with +0.005 offset and level 7 on CLL and I'm not having any problems so far

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults. Also make sure you've installed all the drivers.

Sidenote. Do you have AI Suite installed?

I cleared the cmos and run everything at stock settings but I still get bsod 101 within mins and I don't have Ai suite installed, also my drivers is up to date

XploiT wrote:
Hey there,just to let you know IF you set everything to stock and you still get 101 code bsod your cpu is prolly defective.I had an i5-6600k totally stock that bsod 101 sometimes and after a day it wouldn't boot at stock.It needed like 1.42 to load windows.It got replaced now.

I had my new system since the 9th and thanks for the info because I don't know how to tell if a cpu is going bad till now, my cpu seems to only bsod on stock for now

nevermind, my system bsod 101 again with it overclocked at 4.7GHZ on idle

It seems that your overclock is not stable.I would up the vcore a bit and run 1 hour of rog realbench just to see if its stable.What's your cooling btw?I prefer llc lvl5 though cause i noticed at lvl7 there is too much fluctuation on the vcore.

AirRookie wrote:
my system doesn't seem to bsod anymore on OC settings on idle, at 4.7GHz adaptive mode of 1.3V with +0.005 offset and level 7 on CLL it can run without any problems so far, also I overclocked it to 4.8GHz with adaptive mode of 1.32V with +0.005 offset and level 7 on CLL and I'm not having any problems so far

I cleared the cmos and run everything at stock settings but I still get bsod 101 within mins and I don't have Ai suite installed, also my drivers is up to date

Correct.

Are you using a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro 64Bit? Also please list the models of all your HDD/SSDs connected to your motherboard please.

I did a hour stress test on realbench V2.41, but I changed the cpu overclock settings to 1.35V with +0.005V offset on level 5 before the test but crashed around 30mins of the test with a error d1 code which is a first

I kinda am but I don't have much software installed though

12X LG BD-rom/dvd rewrite combo (UH12NS30)
16x LG BD-RE (WH16NS40)

1TB WD Black (WD1001FALS)
2TB WD Black (WD2003FZEX)
2TB WD Green (WD20EARX)

my CPU cooler is the corsair H100i

also I have a spare 500GB WD Blue for OS testing (WD5000AAKS)

256GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

Frankly I would try to solve your problem before overclocking your system. If your system isn't stable at stock settings, there is no sense in wasting your time.

Normally a 101 BSOD points to insufficient Vcore when overclocking. But with your system at stock speed, there shouldn't be any need to up the Vcore. I don't suppose you have extra parts to test your system with? Also I think it's worth a shot to run some HCI Memtest or Google Stress App for Linux on the memory to discard it being a defective module.