cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Help!

Retired
Not applicable
Hi! I purchased the Corsair Dominator CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 (3x4GB @ 1600MHz) to use on my Rampage III Extreme. When I activate the XMP it will not boot and give me the Overclock Failed! Message. Corsair will go as far as to suggest to activate XMP, thats all. The most I would get this memory to is 1333 MHz. Please explain how can I get it to 1600 MHz as I'm new in the build-your-own-PC field. Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

ottoyu34
Level 9
In order to achieve DRAM speed of 1600mhz, you need overclocking to be able to achieve that. That's also the reason why activating XMP will yield you the message.
1333mhz is the stock DRAM rated speed for i7s.

Retired
Not applicable
Any suggestions on how can I do that to get the MEM to 1600 MHz on the Rampage III Extreme?

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Otto have the main idea, let's try to explain it a bit more. This is a very common question, unfortunatly there is no real fix.
Your CPU have a base speed and your memory have another base speed.
In this case, the CPU base is 1333 so your memory will run slower because if she run faster than the CPU, this will lead to error. So unless you Overclock your CPU to around 3.9 or 4.0Ghz, your ram may fail to run at 1600. To use a simple exemple. When you run water from a pump into a smaller tube, she get stuck and can only get out at the tube rythm. If you want the water to go at the pump speed, you have to get a bigger tube. Is it better now?
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

V2-V3
Level 8
You will need to increase your BCLK frequency and find a stable CPU and IMC voltage for the desired speed.