cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X550ZE dangerously overheating after 4 months of use.

sparatuvs
Level 7
X550ZE running Windows 10, right now my R6 is reading about 90C, this is with a cooling pad running at full blast, If I unplug the AC and run off battery it seems to stabilize around 45C, which is a fine temperature. If I remove the pad or run any applications that use more than the absolute minimum of processing it goes over 102C and trips the shutoff.

Things I've tried:
updating drivers
removing internal battery
replacing thermal paste
removing CD drive and strategic screws to aid in cooling from fan.
2 REPLIES 2

AtlasMinor
Level 8
I own this models, let me start, not to scare anyone or anything, but after only 2 moths if that it has seen 3 RMA's 4if not for me correcting a problem with it and is now being tested for a permenant SWAP.

Mine could have been just a bad egg, but it was the smoothest running, never over-heated bad egg i ever got to login to.

I ran games on it but not for (IRON_MAN) sessions were it was 12 hours+

Never went above 54'C

RMA did however find the Mainboard needed to be replaced and other things, and 4 days after you posted this topic they released a new driver set for the X550ZE dated 1/8/2016

Give that package a go an see if it corrects the problem, i questioned the driver package for this model from day one, and this would be the first PC laptop i was ever scared to death of to touch.

True story, im now going on 25days waiting for the swap if wondering about that part.

They do come with a 12Month Warranty you might want to consider that something might be wrong with them being 8.1 models with Secure/Fast boot Mainboards on them and they might not be as Win10 compatible as Asus had thought or they found something out about them since Win10 Release.

I did upgrade mine to Win10 within the first hour of receiving the product

AtlasMinor
Level 8
sparatuvs wrote:
X550ZE running Windows 10, right now my R6 is reading about 90C, this is with a cooling pad running at full blast, If I unplug the AC and run off battery it seems to stabilize around 45C, which is a fine temperature. If I remove the pad or run any applications that use more than the absolute minimum of processing it goes over 102C and trips the shutoff.

Things I've tried:
updating drivers
removing internal battery
replacing thermal paste
removing CD drive and strategic screws to aid in cooling from fan.

Posting a ScreenShot of my now new X550ZE that has come back to me, and been able to run short gaming tests through GPUZ you can see i have Crossfire enabled and this was the temp after closing the game for only 1minute to cool down. If you want picture while game is running after 20minutes let me know, i already know it dosnt reach much more than 54'c

Sorry Edit to show the R6

Time taken 5minutes Hope this helps