cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 970 driver install freeze on Maximus V Formula Z77 Board

martyzzz
Level 7
Hey All,

I am installing a new Asus Strix 970 on a Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 mobo with a I7 3770K and 2x4Gb Gskill 1800 DDR3.
Before the GPU upgrade i had a AMD 7970 wich worked with no probs.
I have read this post (see link below) but it doesnt solve my problem;
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2359537/asus-s...

The problem is when i insert the GPU on a new win10 install and have my internet connected the system tries to install the whql driver for the new Asus Strix 970 GPU, the system just freezes during 1st boot with the new GPU inserted.

When i do another fresh install and reboot the pc with the internet cable disconnected the pc boots up.
I had the Latest Nvidia driver (361.41) downloaded on my desktop so i wanted to install it that way.
During installation the pc freezes when the Nvidia driver package is installing the 3D Vision bit so the error must have something to do with this.

When i do a clean install once again without internet connected and i install the nvidia driver without all the extra options (without 3D vision, HD Audio, Geforce Experience and PhysX) so just with the GPU driver than the install finishes with out any problems.
Only thing is now i dont have all the benefits of the other Nvidia driver parts.

Any solution?

Ow i forgot to mention i had a Corsair CM 600PSU so i thought it was not good enough (although it could power my old 7970 wich needed much more power.
Now i ordered a brand new Corsair HX850i so PSU is ok also.

I also tried my 1 month old GTX980Ti from my main gaming rig in this setup and same problem.
My new 970 strix i also tried in my main gaming rig and it works just fine.

Only conclusion is something in the Asus motherboard is giving an error with new Nvidia cards.

I just installed all bits of the Nvidia driver apart from the two 3D Vision bits and it works fine.

So final question is; Why cant i install the Nvidia 3D Vision driver part of the complete newest Nvidia driver package (361.41) on the Maximus V Formula with a brand new Asus Strix GTX970 and a brand new Corsair HX850i ?

I have Bios 1803 on the mobo, this is one older than the newest 1903 bios, i cant flash this one because i get a "this is not an uefi bios file" error.
Also the newest bios for this board is from 2013? thats a short update period for a premium board like the Maximus V is you ask me !

Im kind of dissapointed sine i have Asus parts in all my PC's and now i cant even run a new Strix and a few years old board 😞

Any ideas ?
1 REPLY 1

Nate152
Hello martyzzz

It should work without any problems, 361.43 is the latest NVidia driver try installing it from the NVidia website below. Make sure you have the motherboard drivers installed first. If it's trying to install the NVidia driver before you install the motherboard drivers cancel it.

This is for windows 10 64 bit, I personally do a custom/advanced install and only install the graphics driver and PhysX driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96883/en-us

Here is also a hotfix

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3832/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-361.60