cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAximus IV Extreme-Z NO POST and chipset overheat while system OFF!!!

Uazzamerican
Level 7
Hi all,
this is my first post in this forum, I hope I'll get some help.
A friend of mine gave me this board, a Maximus IV Extreme Z, in an attempt to repair it.

The board itself seems perfect, no bent pins, no signs of damage or whatsoever.

If I connect all cables and set up a system with a G630 on a cardboard, just to be sure, I see the ROG logo blink correctly.
BUT the start button won't work, plain dead.
I checked everything, switched the bios, nothing.
I event tryed to use the Rog connect function and thru this I update the bios succesfully.
Still no post, nothing.

I noticed a really weird thing: the Z68 chipset is REALLY hot, and it gets even hotter as time pass but the Rog connect program says 0 volt on the chipset, it doesn't make sense...

Can you help me on this?
13 REPLIES 13

Uazzamerican
Level 7
A little update.
After a deeper inspection I found a substantial damage in a little thing just down of the Z68 chipset, after removing the heatsink.
I am no electronic expert so I can't identify it and I can't say if it can be replaced.

Here is a photo, you can clearly see it damaged in the middle, maybe from a screwdriver:

Nate152
Hello Uazzamerican

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I can see to the left something looks burnt or damaged, it could probably be repaired but it might be best to find a replacement as it would cost you.

If you would be interested in the asus z77 v-pro send me a private message.

Thank you Nate,
yes you are right, there is something on the left that appears burned and a similar thing that is damaged on the center, I can feel the little hole with my finger.
They are similar.
Are they mosfets? Or what?
Maybe someone with the same motherboard can help me identify them?

As Nate said, there is also another little thing damaged, I was able to do a better photo of this.
Can someone tell me what to look for to replace this two "things"? Is it possibile?

Nate152

Nate152
That's a good picture and it looks like those two capacitors are burnt. It could maybe be repaired but for what someone would charge you to fix it (and they may not be able to fix it) it might be best just to get another motherboard. We can see on the surface they're burnt but it's hard to say if anything else might have got damaged too.

I think that some good soul with another Maximus IV Extreme-Z could check them and help identify them.

Anyway I can say for sure that they are not capacitors, at least not like the one on the amazon link.
They clearly have three micro soldering points.

the capacitors in your link (and the ones similar on the motherboard) have only 2.

NEWS:

With some aid, I can confirm that both "things" are labeled "43t".
Now what are they?
Mosfets?
Where can I find them?

Nate152
They look like some kind of surface mount ceramic capacitor, you can find them anywhere it's just knowing which ones they are.

Nate152 wrote:
They look like some kind of surface mount ceramic capacitor, you can find them anywhere it's just knowing which ones they are.

Alright, with another help I know now that these things labeled "43t" are "Schottky diodes".
I will find a lab for microsoldering.