cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair H70 variable fan speeds - how?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a fan issue I am having with my Rampage II Extreme mobo / Corsair H70 setup.

I have installed the H70 with the pump connected to OPT 1 fan connection on the mobo and the H70 fans, which I have replaced for quieter (Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM Fans) are connected to the CPU Fan connection using an Alaska Molex Akasa AK-CB002 4-pin Molex to 3x4 also connected to a molex connection.

The system is working and at idle my CPU temp is around 31-33 oC.

The issue I am experiencing is that the fans don't appear to be changing speed dependant on the CPU load. I have changed the BIOS Fan control settings to managed and left them disabled with no change in fan speed.

If I use Asus Fan Manager and calibrate the fan my readings for 10% - 100% are all approximately the same value which leads me to believe that the fan is calibrating it's maximum speed being unable to reduce the speed for some reason.

Is it possible to vary the CPU fan speed using the above set-up and if so how would I go about this?

Both the supplied Corsair H70 fans and the Scythe fans use a 3 pin connector which is why I bought the 4-pin Molex adapter which I assumed would enable the PWM control on the fan. Am I wrong in my assumption?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan
4 REPLIES 4

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I don't think these fan have PWM that could be the issue or the board can't controll the fan via one of these adapter. The best way to know it is try to connect 1 fan in the CPU header without the adapter and don't connect the second one ( for test ). If it work then you know the issue. Then get a fan controller like the NZXT sentry 2 so you cans et both fan atthe same speed.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
Just to confirm this is the product you're using from Akasa.

If so, only problem is that Scythe GT and other fans you mentioned has 3-pin fan connections. Which means you have to use a Fan controller to adjust the speeds on those. If you want to keep using the Akasa adapter and use PWM to control the fans. You will need to find fans that have 4-pin PWM connections. Hope this helps.

Retired
Not applicable
follow me, in order to make both fans and pump runing depending cpu load . frist you have to connect the 3 pin pump to the cpu connector header on motherboard ,second connect 2 radiator fans one to chasic fan #1 and the other to chasic fan #2 header on the motherboard. final step is go to the bios setup ,go to fan speed control to enable cpu Qfan and set turbo mode , and also enable chasis Qfan and set it to standard mode , save and exit done .so you are having the pump ,the 2 radiator fans run depening on the CPU loading. you will hear speed of the 2 radiator fans go up when cpu working hard or quietly when idle ok?piece of cake uh????????????

Retired
Not applicable
just to clarify, chassis fan support on X58 only allows for preset modes. it wasnt until amd boards or p67 where you can manually set a % value. RIIE should have silent, normal, turbo type preset within bios or fanxpert.