cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JW - Windows 10 Clean Install questions

holdsh1ft
Level 7
Hello guys,

I have a ROG G551JW which I purchased some time back. After I got the laptop, I tried upgrading from the OEM Win 8.1 to 8.1 Pro. However during that time, it seems that the aftermarket RAM that I installed seemed to have problems, causing the Upgrade process to cause what seems to be a somewhat corrupt installation.
As a result of this 'corrupt' installation, for some reason it is not possible for me to re-install Visual C++ Runtime (Some came preinstalled already) which prevents me from running some programs.
Now I would like to do a clean installation of Windows 10 Education that I got from my university.

What is the best way to proceed with this?
Would it be ok to simply boot into the USB (with the W10 EDU ISO), and simply format the OS ( C: ) and Data ( 😧 ) partitions and install W10 EDU over C: (Leaving EFI/Recovery paritions as-is)?
Or are there steps to take into account due to UEFI? (I've read one of the stickied guide but I'm not 100% confident in following it)

Any assistance would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Gps3dx
Level 12
holdsh1ft wrote:
Hello guys,

I have a ROG G551JW which I purchased some time back. After I got the laptop, I tried upgrading from the OEM Win 8.1 to 8.1 Pro. However during that time, it seems that the aftermarket RAM that I installed seemed to have problems, causing the Upgrade process to cause what seems to be a somewhat corrupt installation.
As a result of this 'corrupt' installation, for some reason it is not possible for me to re-install Visual C++ Runtime (Some came preinstalled already) which prevents me from running some programs.
Now I would like to do a clean installation of Windows 10 Education that I got from my university.

What is the best way to proceed with this?
Would it be ok to simply boot into the USB (with the W10 EDU ISO), and simply format the OS ( C: ) and Data ( 😧 ) partitions and install W10 EDU over C: (Leaving EFI/Recovery paritions as-is)?
Or are there steps to take into account due to UEFI? (I've read one of the stickied guide but I'm not 100% confident in following it)

Any assistance would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Hello there holdsh1ft.
As I see you already familiar with my guide/thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)".
I'll be happy to assist to solve the " I'm not 100% confident in following it" issue ( with one condition ), as i've been there my self in the past, but since I'd self educated myself also with the help of many forums, I'm today in a position where I can assist others.

Now, since it is your 1st post in this forum, please note that it is for the benefit of other users ( even future not-yet-registered users ) that any discussion that has already an existing opened thread ( especially if its sticky ) that the discussion will take place in the latter.
that way, the ROG community can have a "library" of knowledge about certain topic.

thus, next time please use the built-in search or google your topic with the postfix of "site:rog.asus.com" before open an already discussion topic.

As I stated above, I'll be happy to assist you, only if this discussion continue in the thread I linked above, or any other major thread about windows installation that was already long discussed.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

xeromist
Hi Holdshift,

Please follow up with Gps3dx in his upgrade guide discussion. He's very active there so you should be able to get everything sorted. If for any reason he's unable to help you and you need this thread again just send me a PM and I can reopen it.

Thanks!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…