cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correct Asus K55N touchpad mouse jitter resulting from Windows 10 update?

MtheInsomniac
Level 7
Full model name under the notebook (usually next to the serial number): K55N-DB81

Bios version: American Megatrends Inc. 217

CPU: AMD A8-4500M APU

Memory amount in GB: 8 GB

GPU: Radeon HD Graphics

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: HGST HTS 541075A9E680 SATA

AC Adapter: PA-1650-78

Operating system: Original ASUS factory image or clean install? Microsoft Activated yes/no?

Original factory image, updated to Windows 8.1, then to 10 by Microsoft update. Activated.

Drivers Installed (include version and especially any non-ASUS approved notebook drivers): Stock drivers

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: None

System Overclocked (provide details)? No

Any hardware upgraded? RAM

Issue

Aside from 50% quicker battery drain & overheating, what is affecting my daily work most from the latest Windows 10 updates, is this touchpad jitter. Adjusting mouse sensitivity to it's lowest setting does not slow the jitter, and all external USB mice function properly. In Mouse Properties>Pointer Options, when I uncheck Enhance pointer "precision" the mouse shake converts to mouse earthquake.

The cause of this? Even the slightest touch from the AC adapter plug to the charging port, or HDMI connection to TV external displays. I do not see the correlation, & am at a loss. This wouldn't be as much of an issue had my battery life not been halved by the initial update, the touchpad functions when the laptop is without these connections.

I've uninstalled & wiped the new ELAN driver, which 10 decided I needed versus my previous from Synaptics. Even with basic touchpad features (movement, click) of the ASUS Touchpad/Support Device, the jitter is present. This does not appear to be software dependent, as I can faithfully reproduce the same result from connecting the charger or HDMI.

There's the obvious IT solution of reverting back to Windows 8.1, or perhaps a fresh install of Windows 10, but we all know how time-consuming that process is.

I trust there's a mind out there with the technical knowledge to fix this. Thanks for any input, community!
12 REPLIES 12

AtlasMinor
Level 8
Hiya and welcome from a fellow AMD customer,

Let me say you didnt go wrong going Asus for AMD, they are known to do AMD products best,

Whats your expericing is same thing i have noticed on every AMD notebook /laptop i encountered and it has to do with Bluetooth on the AMD boards.

Your going to have to look into your bios first and see if you can disable the following, and the list will sound like the entire Hardware installed, BUT its not,

your going to leave one item enbled to install the filters properly first and start enabling each item one at a time with Touchpad -Bluetooth Gestures for last.

USB ) ****
Card Reader
Camera
Internal Pointing Device
(listed as) Option USB /UWB Blutooth

Also there might be a extra option to disable All USB support, leave this enabled

Reboot to desktop, immediatly Reboot from Desktop to Safe Mode to clear ALL conflicts. While in safe mode open Device Manager and load devices double check no blutooth is installed

Shut Down notebook, UNPLUG from Wall ,.. Perform (Hard Reset) Hold power Button 30-45secs after shutting down, you should see your screen flash and a power light emit, keep lightly holding the button, dont break the button, i would feel bad

After this might a few minutes and make sure all devices are disconnected when doing all this and that the laptop is on a solid wooden table.

Breathe and Rejoice, your laptop isnt fried yet if it reboots,

Reboot and immediatly start uninstalling ALL Bluetooth Drivers , the filters for everything Including the main Filter filtering the entire system, im guessing Athero's is messed up, meaning also Wifi/ Airplane mode filter in the machine is also totally screwed, basicly....

Be sure to have a copy of all your drivers before starting out, i imagine you do.

Your going to probably want to reboot after cleaning out all the ( didnt install correctly ) driver ANd filters, big dfferance here and the filters and drivers must be in place first before Bios activates them through POST or,.. well your seeing what its doing and its eventually going to destroy the machine because these machines run mostly on bluetooth.
Install Atheros First, printing this to top so you know this , please dont take this as double posting
Reinstall all drivers leaving Airplane filtering for last. Dont install Airplane Filtering yet it will need to be activated first to install properly, and it should produce a reboot message properly.

Install Atheros First, printing this to top so you know this , please dont take this as double posting

If your using Atheros your going to have to figure out what in Bios is actually using it and not enable it until Final Reboot

this does not change that it indeed needs to be installed first.

The rest of the steps is just heading back to UEFI and enablung each part one by one.

Hope this helps and hope you do eventually get this worked out. I dont own this model, but i own a AMD X-Series and a lot of the hardware looks about the same.

AtlasMinor wrote:
Hiya and welcome from a fellow AMD customer,

Let me say you didnt go wrong going Asus for AMD, they are known to do AMD products best,

Whats your expericing is same thing i have noticed on every AMD notebook /laptop i encountered and it has to do with Bluetooth on the AMD boards.

Your going to have to look into your bios first and see if you can disable the following, and the list will sound like the entire Hardware installed, BUT its not,

your going to leave one item enbled to install the filters properly first and start enabling each item one at a time with Touchpad -Bluetooth Gestures for last.

USB ) ****
Card Reader
Camera
Internal Pointing Device
(listed as) Option USB /UWB Blutooth

Also there might be a extra option to disable All USB support, leave this enabled

Reboot to desktop, immediatly Reboot from Desktop to Safe Mode to clear ALL conflicts. While in safe mode open Device Manager and load devices double check no blutooth is installed

Shut Down notebook, UNPLUG from Wall ,.. Perform (Hard Reset) Hold power Button 30-45secs after shutting down, you should see your screen flash and a power light emit, keep lightly holding the button, dont break the button, i would feel bad

After this might a few minutes and make sure all devices are disconnected when doing all this and that the laptop is on a solid wooden table.

Breathe and Rejoice, your laptop isnt fried yet if it reboots,

Reboot and immediatly start uninstalling ALL Bluetooth Drivers , the filters for everything Including the main Filter filtering the entire system, im guessing Athero's is messed up, meaning also Wifi/ Airplane mode filter in the machine is also totally screwed, basicly....

Be sure to have a copy of all your drivers before starting out, i imagine you do.

Your going to probably want to reboot after cleaning out all the ( didnt install correctly ) driver ANd filters, big dfferance here and the filters and drivers must be in place first before Bios activates them through POST or,.. well your seeing what its doing and its eventually going to destroy the machine because these machines run mostly on bluetooth.
Reinstall all drivers leaving Airplane filtering for last. Dont install Airplane Filtering yet it will need to be activated first to install properly, and it should produce a reboot message properly.

If your using Atheros your going to have to figure out what in Bios is actually using it and not enable it until Final Reboot

this does not change that it indeed needs to be installed first.

The rest of the steps is just heading back to UEFI and enablung each part one by one.

Hope this helps and hope you do eventually get this worked out. I dont own this model, but i own a AMD X-Series and a lot of the hardware looks about the same.

Let me also add in :

If you have anything bluetooth you can use to plug into the usb ports will help , Athero's which once was a full driver package is now just a front-end service for windows 10 meaning Win10 uses athero's to talk to the main board now and that mean all athero's filtering is gone, even during perfect upgrade Win10 now toss's all things Athero's out, does not install / update to the service frontend leaving the machine without it.

Me, i used microsoft usb mouse/keyoard usb 3.0+ device and tricked Windows Update into downloading all the usb filtering onto it, so regardless if the drivers are working or not, Microsofts WILL 🙂

GL man with this, my model is literally a bluetooth nightmare now fixed and running 100% Crimsom SMBus Unlocked and overclockedable /stable.

You, good sir, are what looks to be a godsend. I can't wait to try this out when I get a break between work!

Alright reading through this all again, you began to lose me at "filters".

Although I am tech capable, I don't recall the last time I've played with BIOS. I highly appreciate your answer, but would you be able to explain in-depth the specifics of each step a bit further? I don't feel comfortable guessing at this point.

Thank you, really, for taking the precious time to come to my aid.

Max

MtheInsomniac wrote:
Alright reading through this all again, you began to lose me at "filters".

Although I am tech capable, I don't recall the last time I've played with BIOS. I highly appreciate your answer, but would you be able to explain in-depth the specifics of each step a bit further? I don't feel comfortable guessing at this point.

Sure can,

Most the time driver suites come bundled together filters + drivers, but in the case of these note books you have a total of 6! Drivers + Filters with the nasty problem us AMD notebooks are facing BTooth, which is terrible when not right Without upgrading into Win10 that barly supports us.

Easiest way to do all this i have found out is,

Head to UEFI / Bios

Disable everything except your USB External ports AFTER unistalling all the drivers

Your going to THINK you wont need the extra driver packages listed on the Support site but im here to say you need All 6 + 7th filter only Wifi Airplane Mode Filtering which is actual hardware installed onto the notebooks with no way around it unless purchasing something without it.

After doing this,

Install Atheros First, its now a service

Dont reboot, Win10 will run the service once installed

Touchpad will be very very last, it has bluetooth frontend support on it and will need everything working first before it actually works / installs properly through windows update OR chose update driver for it search online after we get all the bluetooth stuff working first.

Yes this is a nightmare as far as im concerned , not easy, and made me actually reconsider my purchase.

After Atheros BTooth and the Atheros Wifi (Filtering) Found under Wifi driver support tab, these are the filters the BTooth driver is the adpater Understand no filtering or Btooth Adapter driver ? Ok good 🙂

Smile be happy you ran into me before watching a ver awful melt down happen ....

install Raillink BTooth +Wifi filtering

NOW here is were it gets tricky

BRAODCOM is installable and must be installed , will install, and WILL start discovering devices AFTER going back to BIOS / UEFI and enabling USB BTooth and PXE Networking stack + IP$ / IPV6 UEFI support, they will now appear as boot options...

Follow? ok

Rebbot to desktop , you now should see blutooth Everywere and your BT icon appear, yes this will happen if stuff is just installed, but its wrong, wont install properly and win10 ends up holding onto BT Defualt drivers + the Notebook drivers cause confits , jittery touchpad, um Radio Fequaqys that start to burn the top of your head... You get the idea.... Trust me, im already burnt from this, literlally

Now install BoadComm you should now get the installed successful box, and start to see BT discovering , well for mine the whole neighbohood ...

Now your ready to enable the rest of your stuff Camera, card readers, hardware inside your notebook should now be discovered and installed at login /reboot, Enable your touchpad now

Click Windows Update, but dont be surprised if the software isnt already mysterious there, becuase it downloaded background when BT installed properly and windows discovered everything.

If not Win update.

Airplane Mode works but for me the notifications area new for win10 breaks, so BT and PXE for me OFF, Touchpad ON everything else ON,. Should work perfect for you now.

AUDIO
Audio Realtek Pega Win7 Win8 V6.0.1.6690

BIOS
K55N BIOS Version 217

BIOS-Utilities
WinBIOS Flash Win8 64 V2.41.1

Bluetooth
Bluetooth QualcommAtheros Win8.1 64 V80.1.306

Chipset
Chipset AMD UMA Comal Win8 64 V9.12.0.0

LAN
LAN Realtek Win81 64 V8.021.0909.2013

Pointing Device
SmartGesture Win8 64 V1.0.35
SmartGesture Win8.1 64 V4.0.9
SmartGesture Win10 64 V4.0.12
Touchpad Synaptics Win8 64 Test Z16180
Touchpad Synaptics Win10 x86-x64 v19.0.19.1

Utilities
InstantOn Win8 64 V3.0.4
Keyboard Filter Win8 64 V1.0.0.5
Live Update Win8 64 V3.1.8

Wireless
WLAN QualcommAtheros Win8.1 64 V10.0.0.263

Here are the drivers, and only one filter I collected out of those available between the Windows 8.1 & 8 on the K55N support site. I would like to confirm these with you before moving on. Should I only be concerning myself with: BIOS, BIOS-Utilites, Bluetooth, Chipset, LAN, Keyboard Filter, & Wireless?

Also, you'll notice I scoured for every version of these pointing device drivers, as each has their own functionality.

I had a work project to complete before taking the risk of temporarily making my computer inoperable, so I thank you again for taking the time & input!

MtheInsomniac wrote:
AUDIO
Audio Realtek Pega Win7 Win8 V6.0.1.6690

BIOS
K55N BIOS Version 217

BIOS-Utilities
WinBIOS Flash Win8 64 V2.41.1

Bluetooth

Chipset
Chipset AMD UMA Comal Win8 64 V9.12.0.0

LAN
LAN Realtek Win81 64 V8.021.0909.2013

Pointing Device
SmartGesture Win8 64 V1.0.35
SmartGesture Win8.1 64 V4.0.9
SmartGesture Win10 64 V4.0.12
Touchpad Synaptics Win8 64 Test Z16180
Touchpad Synaptics Win10 x86-x64 v19.0.19.1

Utilities
InstantOn Win8 64 V3.0.4
Keyboard Filter Win8 64 V1.0.0.5
Live Update Win8 64 V3.1.8

Wireless
WLAN QualcommAtheros Win8.1 64 V10.0.0.263

Here are the drivers, and only one filter I collected out of those available between the Windows 8.1 & 8 on the K55N support site. I would like to confirm these with you before moving on. Should I only be concerning myself with: BIOS, BIOS-Utilites, Bluetooth, Chipset, LAN, Keyboard Filter, & Wireless?

Also, you'll notice I scoured for every version of these pointing device drivers, as each has their own functionality.

I had a work project to complete before taking the risk of temporarily making my computer inoperable, so I thank you again for taking the time & input!

Sorry for the late reply, my unit i purchased has been under going warranty service, not becuase the topic, just becuase the screen went bad and they are having trouble finding a replacment LCD....

Looked the support for your model, i noticed Win7 listed, this means its a model they upgraded to Win8 then to 8.1

How companies are doing that is not good for us, it means in order to get back to 8.1 you would need all the Asus patchs (if any) + drivers on Win8 then upgrade the unit how Asus would......

That being said , your gonna need the Win8 drivers, looking at your list your missing 1 i saw at a glance listing what i saw on your link to support

Azurewave BlueTooth driver

Liteon BlueTooth driver

ASUS Wireless Radio Control

Realtek LAN Driver

Version V9.12.0.0
Description AMD Chipset Driver
If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please uninstall the older version driver before install the newer version driver
File Size 208.91 MBytesupdate

Useboth Windows-8 and 8.1 drivers for all 3 bluetooths

rest win8 including Gestures

Companys update drivers when they find something wrong, Asus updated drivers sometimes wrong, meaning your 8.1 drivers might be wrong and the solid Win8 drivers are correct.

Since it was at some point in time sold as a Win7 this means the Win8 drivers might be wrong, but companys were forced to at least get the Win8 drivers correct, doesnt mean that happened.

They list Atheros as only one for Win8.1 for your model, and reason, thats your colprit...

Solve Atheros you solve a AMD laptop. I promise, owned 3 AMD laptops ALL diffirent manufactures Asus,Toshiba, Dell an everyone of them needed Atheros correct for the chipset to work correctly, Toshiba has a straight 6310, Asus new FX-Crossfire Hybrid, notreally a card, but who countings, and Dell AMD Athlon II Neo K325

If you dont have BIOS settings allowing you to switch between PXE mode +CSM dont worry, you should be able to trick the laptop into trying to boot into PXE and clearing / restting itself since your reinstalling by having a formatted drive with nothing on it and rebooting the machine

You should get a plug-in PXE cable press key to continue message when the laptop has a clean HDD and No CD-rom in it.

You may have noticed this happen while rolling back and reinstalling from scratch, if not, you now know what to do, and it might not have to be done.

Solve Athero, use your Win8 drivers, check the Driver Manager using both, see the new drivers appear, your system will return to normal soon as any missing/hidden drivers are installed, if this was done by Asus you may need to contact support and get a tech to run a check to see if the drivers can only be installed be Asus or not.

This might be the case, might not.

Hope this helps.

Adding this in case,

Device manager has a option to Show Hidden Devices, look for unknowns

I wouldnt upgrade your laptop to Win10, bluetooth will kill it,

Thing about bluetooth is there not only hidden , there system hidden meaning you cant find / click them and manualy add the missing drivers, goes for anything else Asus might have added as patchs...

I know that sucks, and the hot mess your bluetooth is im going to have to say Asus came up with a patch to make all 3 or more drivers to all work together properly. Thats (imo) I cant really say if Asus supported this model that well or not or if there was patches, Win10 throws everything out during the upgrade, this i know

I watched it wreck bluetooth on every AMD laptop i own , immediate Factory Reset i did from there lol, anyways im sure you will be fine knowing your Win8.1

The Toshiba was the worse, i couldnt even get the Toshiba BT experience software driver packages to even install on Win10, at first , then i managed to force all of it, including the control center, which listed 11 items for BT onto Win10, and it still didnt have a functional BT even with drivers listed in device manager ....

11 items ? web cam. Web Cam, wth is a webcam, didnt even know i had it. Well supposdly the dam thing is a remote Web Cam also with BT in control of it, lets just say touchpad jitters is nothing compared to what i saw happening to that Toshiba built-in camera. lol

Bunch of other crap to, with BT signals so out of control on Win10 that the desktop mini-sound system i have for my laptops was cutting in and out from BT wifi signals everytime BT wanted to wonder on its own either shutting down or powering on, needless to say a few days later BT and half the system was soft bricked. had to roll back to un-brick the system, than ditched Win OS altogether for it. It now sits as FreeBSD an staying that way.

Hey man, I am very grateful for you trying to help me, but I understand almost nothing of what is being said, nor how it applies to mouse jitter. Now the issue has spread to my wacom touch tablet, & seems to worsen with the frequent overheating I'm experiencing thanks to W10. I so much as hold my finger still on the touchpad & it's jumping across the entire screen. This is affecting my work & I physically cannot afford to lose any more time on this.

I discovered these Asus drivers for Windows 10, are they still not compatible? I can't keep thr computer from reinstalling "Asus TouchPad" every time after removing it in device manager.

Should I not attempt a clean install of 10? Or 8.1?

AtlasMinor
Level 8
No problem,

I had my fair share of issues directly after purchasing the x550zE-db10, now replaced by the x550zA looks like but mine was supposed to be more of a special-edition with a super great R7-m265dx Based upon the R5-m230 .

Reason i went to Asus in the first place, they know how to manfacture when it comes to that sort of thing, i just like the idea of having something a little special even though it is getting way out-dated.

Dont tread on the company's when it comes to windows-10, i witnessed BTooth drop completly when win10 did that update and sent me straight to RMA w/o any clue to what had happened to me.

I can confirm if you do want to roll back to Win-8.1 Microsoft just posted the latest windows8.1 build for the windows 8.1 media Creator on there website, i used it myself, long as secure boot is enabled you will activate just fine if it comes down to it, and your BTooth will all return to normal. Just be sure to chose the right version, Plain Win8.1 first choice i belive for home editions and will be good to go.

I live around pets so it did strike me as a concern, but fter i worked it out, my monitor returned to normal , FPS in game sky rocketed back upto 70-110 Worldof Tanks standard @ 1080i..

Cheers, be sure to give a shout out if it works, id like to think im not the only one and its just a matter of windows10 proper drivers being released.