cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Have 2 Problems on a Rampage 4 Extreme Mother Board

William_Mangana
Level 8
1) I reflashed the bios to the new version bios. (I might add that of all the Mother Boards I have owned never once was the Asus Updater able to do this.) <<< Why have if it never works.

Anyways I flashed the bios and lost the Boot Up Screen picture. it asked me if I wanted to replace the picture. Not paying a whole lot of attention and busy I hit yes. Well it asked me for a picture. I really did not want to replace the start up picture. I believe it is called a Splash screen. Anyways the screen when you first start up the Computer. It's a Asus ROG Bird and says HIT DEL FOR SETUP. I have a ROG picture but not the original.

Once you say YES to replace it. It never says CANCEL or BACK. And being afraid of just aborting it for fear of a messed up Bios. I gave it a different picture. I don't want a different picture. But no where on your site do I see this original picture for start up. OK that is problem #1

2) The second problem is I have Crucible Ballistix Tracers. They have LED's that are supposed to light up when running. I know they work because they came from my old Mother Board.

That is what it should look like. But on this Rampage Extreme Board it does not light up and flash. I have gone into the bios and selected the proper DDR3-1600 (It had it set to DDR3-1333) The timing on those are wrong as well. They should be 8-8-8-24 But the Board has them at 9-9-9-24. Not sure if that is why they do not light up and really does not seem to matter they are recognized and work. I have 8 DIMM's all are 2 GB (total 16 GB) There is 4 RED in the RED slots and 4 Blue in the Black slots. But they are all the same DIMM's and color and that should not matter.

Please help here. I'm sure I have other issues but for now this will help.
31 REPLIES 31

William_Mangana
Level 8
I wanted to add to this as tonight I built the same thing for my son. He has the same things as me. Same CPU which is a 3930K and the 8 sticks of DDR-1600 Crucial Ballistix Tracers. No LED's on those at all. So it's not my motherboard but I suppose a setting. Perhaps a DIP switch or something in the BIOS.

According to CPU-Z the memory is at DRAM Freq 800 Mhz 9-9-9-24 (DRAM calls for 8-8-8-24) on the mem. Row refresh is 88 Clocks. Speeds are well I will post the pictures that will show it better.

Not sure if that helps. But something on the board is preventing the LED's from flashing.

William_Mangana
Level 8
As for the start up screen picture let me know if all I need to do is reset the Bios. And perhaps how to do that the best way. There seems to be a lot of reset buttons. But I think if I have the start up screen picture all I would have to do is re-flash the bios again and say Replace the start up screen with that picture that was on there and I should be ok.

William_Mangana
Level 8
I guess I should add what I have.

Rampage 4 Extreme MoBo
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR3-1600 (8x2gb)
Win 7 x64
Dual Radeon 6970 Crossfired
Sound is a Creative Lab Platinum Fatality PCI-E
Power Supply is a Rosewill 1300 watt

CPU is a Intel 3930K Sandy Bridge - E 3.2 Ghz I have settings in the bios on Auto. So I have not over clocked really anything other than the MoBo can up it via itself as the load increases I am figuring. Did a 3DMark test on it. and noticed it took the CPU up to 4.2 GHz during that test but normally it's at 3.2 Ghz for right now till I see all is well. I will most likely use all of your settings in the OC section. I like to be safe instead of trying to OC it to death. But I have mega fans in a Thermaltake Armor Plus Case. And I sit in a very cool basement family room. Cold down here year round. So usually heat is never a problem and I don't trust water coolers. Fans and heat sinks I have found to work best.

pls try setting load XMP profile in bios under Overclock Tuner (auto, manual, xmp)

lassek
Level 7
You know when I flashed my BIOS with a custom picture. The only thing needed to get OEM pic back was to reflash it. Its "built in" in the .ROM file. I prefer flash through EZ UTIL in the BIOS it self.

Dont know about your LED ram. Have never seen them before. . Did you remember to raise voltage to 1.65 ?

OK the XMP seem to help recognizing the memory and the timing and voltage correctly. But the Memroy still is not lighting up. Not sure what voltage is missing for this to happen but it's not doing it. It also seems to be ok on the Bios start up splash screen. I redid the bios and that seem to help that problem.

The thing seems to have a problem with the asking of the things to do. When it ask you DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE THE START UP SCREEN . It really should have the answer set to NO instead of YES. if your not paying attention (as I said i was not) you think do you want to go to the next order of business? And hey really who reads that far into it LOL!

Anyways I have all problems taken care of other than the memory still will not light up. Not really knowing what voltage is needed for this. Actually I never thought there was such a thing. But obviously there is. Something is different from Asus Boards from that picture which (shhhh!) was a Gigabyte mother board. <<<< I actually hate their boards but it had what I needed. Please help in this matter. if I can get this last item fixed then I will be happy with the board and the build.

William_Mangana
Level 8
Well when you guys see this please let me know if it's a DIP switch problem or a voltage problem or settings in Bios. I have tried all that I knew to fix this problem but I have not been able to make those DIMM's light up yet.

Shamino
do you know what crucial says to that? is that from VDRAM or from VDD SPD 3.3v?

Never asked Crucial since I know this memory worked like that before and no one knows your mother boards better than you guys.

It would be like asking Ford why does your motor run when I poured gas from BP in it, and them asking me did you ask BP why their gas does not work in our Ford car?

The memory was pulled from the above picture's Mother Board. I know that it worked ok in that other Mother Board. So the memory works as it should. Something on your mother board is not the same as is on other mother boards in those DIMM sockets. A voltage or ground or DIP switch or something is not right.

Whatever voltage be it a ground or a +5v or +12v that runs those LED's was there on that Gigabyte board but is not there on the Asus Mother Board. The memory is recognized. With using the settings you said the Speed is not recognized. But those LED's are not functioning.