cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring R4E VRM Temp?

Proximus
Level 7
Just got the R4E with 3960X. How to do I monitor the VRM temp?
32 REPLIES 32

sisco
Level 7
Proximus wrote:
Just got the R4E with 3960X. How to do I monitor the VRM temp?

I support the request, especially for terperature reached by the metal plate under the MB where the VRM heatsink is fixed, the one near the cpu power connectors.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Unfortunately, the R4E does not support such monitor. I use a Raytek Minitemp. Also unfortunate, the VRM apparently limits our OCs. It automatically downclocks our procs, providing you have T.Probe set in BIOS.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

HalloweenWeed wrote:
Unfortunately, the R4E does not support such monitor. I use a Raytek Minitemp. Also unfortunate, the VRM apparently limits our OCs. It automatically downclocks our procs, providing you have T.Probe set in BIOS.

I also put a thermal probe beneath the metal plate to the top of the card, I should never have problems because they are liquid, but the temperature detected by the probe can not be precise, because it does not measure the components, but the plate, that is normally at lower temperatures.
Wondering if it was possible to monitor the vrm, just because if you are limited to a certain temperature, it means that somehow the MB monitors the thermal status of these components, so I wanted to give away software can detect it.

sisco wrote:
I also put a thermal probe beneath the metal plate to the top of the card, I should never have problems because they are liquid, but the temperature detected by the probe can not be precise, because it does not measure the components, but the plate, that is normally at lower temperatures.
Wondering if it was possible to monitor the vrm, just because if you are limited to a certain temperature, it means that somehow the MB monitors the thermal status of these components, so I wanted to give away software can detect it.

Agreed. It is sad that Asus did not include this monitoring. It would've been a hellofalot more useful than the optional temp sensors, for most ppls.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

HalloweenWeed wrote:
Agreed. It is sad that Asus did not include this monitoring.

I hope it is added in the future, perhaps with third-party software, such as the R3BLACK, it was not possible to monitor the bios NB and SB, this feature is of that of R2E R3E, HWMonitor, however, with these temperatures were also monitored on BLACK.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
They could of added it but they chose to keep it a limited feature only for the SABERTOOTH X79 which has a load more temp sensors which are apart of its Thermal Radar features.

LiveOrDie wrote:
They could of added it but they chose to keep it a limited feature only for the SABERTOOTH X79 which has a load more temp sensors which are apart of its Thermal Radar features.

Since the R4E is the "flagship" it should have included those temp probes.
*Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 3930K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 - 2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs - WD VelociRaptor 600GB Steam drive - 3x 7970 Tri-Fire !! - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - H100 Cooler - Win7 x64 Ultimate :cool::cool::cool:

Yer i know im disappointed in the missing probes also SSD caching there a lot of features on there other boards that the R4E is missing i though paying the price for this board it would come with the lot but i was wrong.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Yer i know im disappointed in the missing probes also SSD caching there a lot of features on there other boards that the R4E is missing i though paying the price for this board it would come with the lot but i was wrong.

SSD caching is not a high performance technology. The ROG team felt ROG users would just simply buy a full SSD and get maximum performance, so there's no need for marginally slower caching on an SSD that can be ~80% of the space. SSD caching is great for people who either don't know how to manage their C:\ drive or their software specifically requires being installed to C:\, meaning they have to have one large drive.

Intel will introduce its software update eventually that adds caching natively to X79, but if you really need it then all our P9X79 series supports it out the box 🙂

As for the probes - I'll pass on the note. They are very cheap to buy at local hardware stores.