cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phoebus or Strix Soar

Dahnarius
Level 7
Hey there,

Just Wondering if the new Strix cards are better than the older Phoebus (similar tech specs as far as I can tell ). Question is if its worth getting one of the new cards 🙂 .

Can't find any reviews or tests regarding this subject.

Currently on windows 10 .
5 REPLIES 5

Glasofruix
Level 8
Get yourself a creative and save yourself the trouble of perpetual beta drivers with missing features. And i'm a day one owner of a phoebus with little to no issues. In fact don't ever buy asus soundproducts, the support is abysmall.

Vlada011
Level 10
I think you should check Strix Soar because it's newer model than Phoebus, price are similar.
Strix Soar is not expensive card and many people don't even need STRIX RAIDs... SOAR is enough and worth investment if people pay hundreds more for graphic cards.
You will notice difference even if you had best onboard as SupremeFX only if speakers are not pure junk.

STRIX SOAR have WHQL Driver for Windows 7 and Windows 10.
I have CREATIVE but never mind, my driver is from 2012, from CD...
and I didn't installed last from 2014 because this driver work and if work why to change him just like that.
For STRIX is driver from 2016 and could work next 5 years. What you expect sound improvement?
If some new hardware show up and ASUS notice that STRIX not work on some ROG or other motherboard they will launch driver.

I think go with Phoebus because it's drivers are more matured and component wise they are similar I think. So drivers matter in this comparison and they are new so drivers are still problematic probably. My card is phoebus and I'm pretty happy with it.

Vlada011
Level 10
I don't know I had some problem with SBZ before 2-3 days... I thought card die because sound was weird suddenly.
But after removing sound card, cleaning from dust little, reamoving and cleaning shield and card with alcohol and reinstall driver again everything was fine.
I was ready to start to try STRIX SOAR. 🙂
It's available to me for only 85 euro.
If my die in near future I will buy STRIX SOAR. Somehow is more attractive to me if motherboard and sound card are same manufacturer.
I don't know how people could forget to install some little better sound card. They show up very rear, once in 4-5 years.
My SBZ is almost 5 years old and still could be looked as one of newer sound card models. Nice sound card could be bought under 100$...
Only card without additional volume control. If someone have similar with speakers don't need with sound card.
One sound card could be used 7-8 years before new standards and OS show up and support completely stop.
There are good cards from PCI period and only is connector problem and really every gamer should buy some 100$ model.

I dont know .. I never had one problem with ANY Sound Blaster.. and then the "Z". The Phoebus.. I have right now in my other system. The card works great. If you USE the NEWER software.. its as if there is NO BASS what so ever. The FLEX BASS II.. is GONE. You have to use the OLDER software. I see the Strix Soar seems to use the SAME software.

And makes me wonder is BASS is worthless. Its the same basic looking for the NEWER software for Phoebus. The little BASS scroll up or down. See the problem here with Phoebus is.. DRIVERS. Asus KEEPS using someone elses CHIPS and if THEY dont put out drivers.. ASUS NEVER WILL! Asus DOES NOT do anything other then making a customized software. This new SOAR..uses a USB 2.0 chip that can do what 10 channels.. myself.. I dont care WHAT else the put in it.. its NOT worth it.

Do you KNOW the difference between the 3?(SOAR) Just WHAT EXTRA are you really getting? Its NOT WORTH. The Phoebus is very nice card.. but your PAYING for something ASUS DOES NOT SUPPORT! It NEEDS new drivers.. ASUS can not put out what it does not make. How long has the Phoebus been out? Same with Strix Soar. Where as Creative Labs .. they always keep at some point putting out drivers. But both.. or one at a time and make sure you can RETURN it and test. Again myself I would not touch the Soar. Nor the Phoebus..

I am STUCK with the Phoebus.. I like it.. I never bought it new. Got it of Ebay for a steal.