cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Battery Issues

TheKnight
Level 7
Hello everyone. First of all, thanks for clicking on my thread. Let's begin. As the title says I have the G751JY but there are some issues with my battery ( or at least I think it's the battery ). Every time the battery level hits 13-12% my PC shuts down but it's not a normal shut down ,where it closes all programs etc. It turns off in an instant without me noticing it until it's too late. I checked my settings to see if I have set it to shut down once it hits this battery power level but my settings weren't even close to 13%. After it shuts down, it will not turn on unless I plug in the charger. I tried to turn it on without it but as soon as it shows the RoG logo it turns off again. My second problem is that when charging my battery, when the power level hits 89% it will get stuck there. I know that there is a safety feature that stops charging when the battery power level hits ~90% but when it gets stuck on 89% it will not say "Plugged in, not charging" it will say that it is still charging properly. My power plan is set to high power and I already tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI battery thingy from the Device manager and then clicked "Check for hardware changes". That procedure was successful but it didn't fix anything. Also, I'd like to mention that when I start my PC, the RoG logo is displayed and under it there are these small circles that spin BUT after they complete 3 spins my display will turn off and after almost a second it will turn on again and then everything continues like it should. Is this turn on and then off and then on again supposed to happen? Thank you for your time.
12 REPLIES 12

TheKnight
Level 7
Anyone?

The_Uglyspirit
Level 7
Regarding your boot up behavior-my G751Jy started doing this after upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 so i guess it must just be normal as boot up is still fast.

My battery charging seems to be inconsistent so some times it will charge up to 100% and sometimes stop charging at 90% which i also understand it should do.

I guess what most people will say is that perhaps get the latest Bios (211 i think) reset it to factory and if you've upgraded to Widows 10 then do a fresh reset of that and install specific G751JY drivers for win10 from asus.

The Uglyspirit wrote:
Regarding your boot up behavior-my G751Jy started doing this after upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 so i guess it must just be normal as boot up is still fast.

My battery charging seems to be inconsistent so some times it will charge up to 100% and sometimes stop charging at 90% which i also understand it should do.

I guess what most people will say is that perhaps get the latest Bios (211 i think) reset it to factory and if you've upgraded to Widows 10 then do a fresh reset of that and install specific G751JY drivers for win10 from asus.

I already have BIOS 211 and yes I have upgraded to Win10, however I'd like to keep the whole "reset to factory" story as a last resort.

TheKnight
Level 7
Anyone else? The more opinions the better.

JustinThyme
Level 13
My question is why does anyone run a gaming rigs battery down that low on a regular basis. I couldnt attest as to how or why this may happen as none of mine have ever shut down on low battery, never been that low. Only battery time mine sees is maybe if Im in the middle of something and change rooms, I unplug, move, plug back in. Only device I run on battery for any length of time other than cell phones is a M$ Surface pro 4.

Now forgetting the difference we have in habits.......

I would be considering looking at battery replacement. If you regularly run it down to end every cycle is a nail in its coffin. Just the way Lithium polymer batteries are. Taking a deep plunge at a specific point is indicative of the discharge current taking a nose dive at end of cycle. Happens all the time in all types of batteries when they are on the cusp of eminent failure.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
My question is why does anyone run a gaming rigs battery down that low on a regular basis. I couldnt attest as to how or why this may happen as none of mine have ever shut down on low battery, never been that low. Only battery time mine sees is maybe if Im in the middle of something and change rooms, I unplug, move, plug back in. Only device I run on battery for any length of time other than cell phones is a M$ Surface pro 4.

Now forgetting the difference we have in habits.......

I would be considering looking at battery replacement. If you regularly run it down to end every cycle is a nail in its coffin. Just the way Lithium polymer batteries are. Taking a deep plunge at a specific point is indicative of the discharge current taking a nose dive at end of cycle. Happens all the time in all types of batteries when they are on the cusp of eminent failure.

I play games with my charger plugged in. The only time I won't have it plugged in is after I close the game I'm playing and just browse the internet. Also, I never used to let it drop under 15% but sometimes, I would forget about it and it would go to 10%. Never have I left it go lower than 10%. However, now I don't really have much of a choice since it turns off at 13% anyway :I

JustinThyme wrote:

I've never let my battery fall below 10% and back at the day ( before this shutting down story ) I would plug the charger in at around 15%-25%. I never kept charging the battery after it was fully charged. Also, until 2 months ago I would play games without my charger plugged in, only using the battery and I would plug the charger when the power would run low. Also, a month ago it started doing this : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85134-G751JY-random-shuts-down-when-playing-games . Could any of these be the reason of my problem? Also, in case I have to replace my battery, do I just have to go on the store I bought this laptop from and ask them what they can do about it and is it covered by the warranty ?( I haven't voided my warranty in any way ).

TheKnight
Level 7
I tried to change the Power Plan to Balanced ( it was set on High Performance ) in order to see if it would change anything but it didn't. It keeps shutting down at 17%, 15% or 13%. Why is it doing this? What's causing it to shut down, especially this instant shut down, like someone cut the power?

TheKnight
Level 7
I found out that the battery is stuck charging at 89% either because I have a burned cell ( or whatever it's called ) or it's because I have been using my PC for a year and according to this site http://www.asus.com/support/Article/604/ ( click the Batery Life And Cycle if it isn't already opened ). Also, this shutting down at 15% story might be happening because the battery needs to be re-calculated, however how can I complete the calculation proccess successfully if I can't charge the battery to 100%? How do I do it? Or is it neither of those and it's a burned cell and I need to replace my battery? If, it needs to be replaced do I have to RMA or can I take it to the store I bought it from, order a battery and have the guys there replace it? ( it's a big store so it has trained personnel, it's not a small store in a corner of a small neighbourhood ). Also, in case it needs to be replaced, can someone please tell me the full brand and model and all the voltage and other features of the battery so that I know what to tell the guys there to look for. Thanks.