cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 installed in G20CB - not recommended, getting so hot performance is throttled

Mr__Jinx
Level 7
Today I installed a M.2 ssd in my G20CB. The M.2 is a Toshiba OCZ RD400 256GB.
So far I would not recommend installing a M.2 in the G20CB.

It sure is alot of work but that could be fun also 🙂
The M.2 slot is hidden underneath the DVD drive. To get there you will need to remove the heatsink and re-apply thermal paste.
You will also need a very tiny screw to attach the M.2 to the motherboard. I borrowed the screw from the WiFi adapter which is located near the M.2 adapter. This screw has the same size. I removed the complete WiFi adapter as I don't use WiFi.

Anyway, once installed, the M.2 is getting so hot that performance is throttled. The drives easily gets to 80+ degrees without any load. So this is pretty useless.
This is because there is now airflow in that part. OCZ support recommends to cool the M.2 with a fan, but there simply is no room.

Someone else who also installed a M.2 drive with same experience?
7 REPLIES 7

chilinmichael
Level 10
Interesting. What other drives do you have in yours? Do you also have a physical 3.5"? That will generate a lot of heat, and heat rises. I've removed mine and put a 2.5" 1TB Samsung 850 Evo there, stock 2.5" SK Hynix 256GB is in the usual spot. I'm considering adding a M2 PCIE Samsung 950 PRO 512GB next.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

I already replaced the stock 3'5"drive AND the 2.5" Hynix for 2x EVO 850 500GB in RAID-0 :cool:
I don't think heat of other components is the problem. The M.2 itself produces a lot of heat and because of the location, underneath the DVD driver, there is no room for airflow.
Might be bad luck with the Toshiba OCZ RD400, but I don't want to try this again. Luckily, the M.2 has been refunded.

Right now I must say I'm more than happy with the 2 x 2.5" SSD's in RAID0 config.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Sounds good. I wouldn't personally run a Raid 0 due to the risk involved (1 drive goes it's all gone) but if you have a cloud backup of all your important data, I'd say go for it.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

If you have all your data on 1 drive, and that drive crashes then you also loose all your data so I don't see that as a problem 😛
I agree that a good backup plan is important.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Hmm, I dont think its M2 that is the problem as much as it is El Cheapo M2. Im looking at buying one of the latest releases with the GTX1080 and M2 drive is a huge part of the equation.

I'm running two 512GB M2 Samsung 950 pros in my G752VY laptop in raid 0 and it has yet to throttle, not even once, not even after I pounded it for half and hour of continuous reads and writes. I did put some small ram sinks on the controller, that's the only thing that warmed up in the least. Its the chip closest to the socket end. Actual Vnand temps never swayed in the least.

Nice to know info though............I can add toshiba to the list of M2s not to buy!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

What !?.Is there a M.2 disc place under the DVD Drive when i only could see a SSD Sata drive.Have one M.2 lying around and will open this case again if there is a place for it.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Stats page on ASUS website says M2 is there, at least they pump it up in the specs on the latest models with the 10 series GPUs.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein