cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting ASUS G73 Touchpad Problems

V2-V3
Level 8
ASUS G73 Owners experiancing Touchpad issues can try the below steps to resolve touch pad and keyboard problems.

G73 Keyboard and TouchPad FIX

1/17/2011 Big Thanks to Gary Key and all others at ASUS who worked on this fix!

01/07/11 Update - Please download and use this file for the missing keystroke problem - https://www.yousendit.com/download/R...a0RvQnRjR0E9PQ -
(use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only)
This BIOS should fix remaining problems, based on latest test reports. Please updated to the latest ATK, AMD Catalyst, and Touchpad drivers. Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens). We will then contact you for additional information or service.

12/25 Update - New BIOS Link - Please follow below Instructions as Before

The BIOS file and related flashing utilities along with a Synoptics diagnostic reporting utility are available here - http://www.mediafire.com/file/tb5wes98jja966x/G73JhASb.rar for download. All driver download links are based on assumptions that Windows 7 64-bit is the OS choice, please adjust accordingly on the driver downloads if this is not the case.

We highly suggest you visit the G73Jw (having G73Jh page updated) download page here - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. and download the following files and install them prior to flashing the BIOS.

ATK - Version V1.0.0007
TouchPad - Version V15.0.11.0
Others - Intel Engine Management Interface - Version V6.0.0.1179
Others - Keyboard Device Filter - Version V1.0.0.3

I realize there are later drivers available for these programs but at this point we need everyone on equal driver sets based on our testing with this beta BIOS.

After updating your BIOS (use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only) please do the following -
1. Update to the latest VBios if you do not already have it installed - file download and instructions are located here - G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update
2. Uninstall the Realtek Audio and HDMI driver sets and then reinstall with HD Codec version 2.55 and ATI HDMI 2.55 driver sets if they are not already installed. The download link is here (need to accept the license first) - Realtek
3. Do a complete uninstall of the AMD Video drivers and then install the 10.12 driver set that is available here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.... 7 - 64-Bit Edition
4. Also, please ensure the latest DirectX update is installed - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer and all important Win7 updates are installed.

Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens).

We have noticed a significant amount of systems returned for the missing keystroke problem have been fixed with the above procedure in early testing and this new BIOS has solved further problems. However, it has not been perfect so we need to collect further information from those users still having problems.

J73JH Users Make Sure you have updated your Vbios to the latest version, there is a step by step guide available here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...D-Vbios-Update

Also checkto see if your BIOS is up to date the current BIOS version is version 0211

592 REPLIES 592

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks! Also what component in the HDD is causing this keyboard disruption?.... how weird!VERY informative! When i get my g73 in two days i will not worry if i get these errors malfunctions probelems

Retired
Not applicable
Here is what happens with my g73jh. With moodpad I see 2 things, sometimes moodpad register the movement but the mouse doesn't move in windows. The second problem is that moodpad sees only the V axis of my movement and display the movement on the far left on the square.

I also found out that when I put pressure about an inch left of the touchpad it becomes impossible to use.

Retired
Not applicable
None of the solutions helped. I even did the Hard drive fix.

So what are the odds of this being a hardware issue? Seems like a good amount of people have these touchpad issues.

edit: I actually found somewhat of a solution. I simply just deleted SynTPhelper.exe. You have to go to task manager, kill the process, then right click on SynTPEnh.exe , choose 'go to file location' look for Syntphelper.exe and cut and paste it to another directory as backup.

So far ive had no issues with the mouse having a mind of its own, but certain spots on the touchpad die out on me still. It varies.

what i'd really like to know is, if this issue is being worked on/looked into by Asus or are we g73 owners left disappointed? It really seems that way at this point. Thank you very much for the GSOD fix but you cant leave us with a defective TP. Asus is dropping down the list in my books.

ASUS is actively working to resolve this issue with a permanent fix. Don't think this is a forgotten issue.

Retired
Not applicable
V2-V3 wrote:
ASUS is actively working to resolve this issue with a permanent fix. Don't think this is a forgotten issue.

Thank you for the news! 😄

Just an update though, with the method i mentioned above, im going at about 4 days w/o any issues whatsoever. I dont know if its just luck or what but ive been fortunate (?) enough for the past 4 days of touchpad use to not have the mentioned issues.

Alot of people are convinced its hardware...personally i think its the drivers. But thats just me.

Again, VERY VERY glad to hear its actually being worked on. Hope an official fix arrived soon.

V2-V3 wrote:

In the middle of may... actually it seems just that

Retired
Not applicable
After 4 days, still got no problems.. this is our REAL solution!

I agree...did mine a week or so ago and no problems...this is the fix and not too hard.

I had the same problem with my G73jh for months. I finally took it to a PC shop and had the remove the tin foil looking tape under the touch pad for $31. When i brought it home pad works like better than new!!! Tech said that tape is not allowing the fingers to register movement correctly. Take it out and all your problems will be gone!!!!