cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On my 2nd Maximus VIII Hero that has developed a always on HDD activity light

Strife21
Level 7
This is now the 2nd board that I have purchased that has developed a HDD activity light that is always on. Both worked fine then suddenly developed the issues the first within a few months the 2nd in about 10 months.

Both the HDD Acitivity LED on the motherboard itself located near the SATA ports and the LED on my case are now solid and do not blink. Even if no hard drives, M.2 devices or SSD's are connected and in bios. The light remains a constant on..

I have reset CMOS, downgraded bios, upgraded back up to latest bios and nothing resolves the issue. If anyone has any idea please let me know. I simply can't be without a motherboard so a RMA is going to force me into buying yet another board while I send this off and then having to sell the repaired board at a discount when I get it back.
4 REPLIES 4

ondersma80
Level 7
Haven't heard of this one before so it must be tied somehow to components or configurations unique to your setup. The light being on with nothing connected isn't abnormal, mine lights up with everything removed because nothing is found. Being normal for months then suddenly changing makes me think some update or sudden change is involved. Is there anything being updated on that might be switching DAS polarity on your devices? Is the issue just the light or do the drives also stop working? What storage is in use? Any docks or hot swap bays?

Strife21
Level 7
ondersma80 wrote:
Haven't heard of this one before so it must be tied somehow to components or configurations unique to your setup. The light being on with nothing connected isn't abnormal, mine lights up with everything removed because nothing is found. Being normal for months then suddenly changing makes me think some update or sudden change is involved. Is there anything being updated on that might be switching DAS polarity on your devices? Is the issue just the light or do the drives also stop working? What storage is in use? Any docks or hot swap bays?

This person with a Maximus Hero VIII Alpha had the same issue a while back:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82442-Hero-VIII-Alpha-HDD-led

I have no docks swap bays or anything at all. That light should not be on when nothing is connected on this board I am 100% sure of this. The issue is simply the light getting stuck lit, everything functions perfectly fine. Its like it just gets stuck at some point and then never ever goes off again. Storage in use is a Samsung 850 Evo m.2 ssd, a WD 1TB SATA HDD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive (this was not in the system when it happened the first time)

I went out and bought the same exact board from Micro Center (while I RMA this one) and when nothing is plugged in the light is out and its not lit at all in the bios regardless if a drive is connected or not as it shouldn't be.

The other odd thing is I changed absolutely nothing and replaced it with the same exact only new board and everything functions flawlessly. If there was some kind of update why wouldn't it be effecting the new board too as its the exact same thing and I didn't wipe or reinstall anything. The config is exactly the same.

The only thing I remember updating recently was to the latest Rapid Storage Drivers from Intel but I realy don't see how that could effect anything and I uninstalled and reinstalled them on this new board and everything is fine so I dont think that is it either.

Strife21
Level 7
You dont think a damaged SATA cable or something could be causing this do you? I just replaced them all with all new ones cause I really dont want to deal with this again.

Also the asus customer service agents are down right brutal anymore. They knno absolutely nothing, they literally were reading out of the instruction manual on the phone. I remember when I called and talked to knowledgeable people that knew about the product in America or at least understood the terms I was using, I guess those days are gone.

Strife21
Level 7
One other thing that I think about it now I have always had one of 1TB mechanical drives connected to one of the SATA ports that isn't on the intel controller (there are two additional ones that are on an Asmedia controller). Maybe those ports may cause the issue somehow.