cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX Clean Install Clear-ups and Doubts

XVeno
Level 7
Hello everyone, to start off, I'd like to say, as most of you will notice, that this is my first post in the RoG community (had some issues while registering because the RoG registration form was looping everytime due to the fact that i already had an AsusMember account, but it wouldnt let me connect anyways, forcing me to change the e-mail for my other AsusMember Account), and i've been reading thoroughly all the issues with Asus G74SX and I'd like to know some stuff:

a) Is there ANYONE that hadn't had a single issue with the G74?

b) I've read that most of you recommend a Clean Install of W7, and I kinda see where are you guys coming from, although I'd like to know if the asus's apps really strain the performance that much, like, is it really performance-changing the removal of those apps? Furthermore, can you name the apps that aren't needed whatsoever?

I'm buying a G74 anytime soon, but such issues might make me think twice before jumping straight into the fray..

Thank you for your replies in advance.
"I knew I would not have enough time to do everything, but now I worry I do not have enough time to do anything."
197 REPLIES 197

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Most likely, owners who haven't had ANY issues with their G74 have never bothered to seek out this forum. ;o)

The biggest problem with the Asus bloatware ("apps") is probably not the performance strain, but the instability they cause. All those issues you've read about? They aren't issues inherent to the G74 hardware platform...the hardware is just fine, in most cases. (A few bad touchpads and keyboards here and there....) They are issues with the OEM software installation. Far too many of those utilities are poorly-written software, and some of the drivers are old & glitchy.

Every Asus program, except for the ATK Package, would fall under "not needed whatsoever."

zsld0423
Level 9
I've only had mine for a few days, but honestly I've had no issues with it whatsoever. I also completely read through these forums to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand :P. I did a fresh install, but the way ASUS has it packaged for you, you could easily run it with the setup it ships with. Of course you'd want to go through and update the drivers (mainly the ATK package/Video Card/BIOS as well) but the stock setup shouldn't give you any dents in performance. I've read that the Power4Gear program can cause issues with things, but I haven't had that problem yet. And any apps you don't need you can always uninstall, and there should be a Drivers/Utilities disc that comes with it or there's always the ASUS downloads page. IMO you don't need any of the apps it gives you, except maybe the AI Recovery program for making backup discs, and after that it can be uninstalled.
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423 wrote:
I've only had mine for a few days, but honestly I've had no issues with it whatsoever.

I assume that the OP means "no issues with the out-of-box" setup.

No issues with a heavily-modified configuration like yours (and mine) doesn't really address that question. I can't think of anyone that had absolutely no issues with the OEM setup, with no intervention whatsoever. The Atheros driver alone is known to cause a lot of problems.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I assume that the OP means "no issues with the out-of-box" setup.

No issues with a heavily-modified configuration like yours (and mine) doesn't really address that question. I can't think of anyone that had absolutely no issues with the OEM setup, with no intervention whatsoever. The Atheros driver alone is known to cause a lot of problems.

Yeah I read about the Atheros problems, which made me immediately go for the Intel Ultimate 6300 card instead 😛 But yes, more than likely on a factory OEM setup, there's bound to be problems because of the faulty software
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423 wrote:
I've only had mine for a few days, but honestly I've had no issues with it whatsoever. I also completely read through these forums to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand :P. I did a fresh install, but the way ASUS has it packaged for you, you could easily run it with the setup it ships with. Of course you'd want to go through and update the drivers (mainly the ATK package/Video Card/BIOS as well) but the stock setup shouldn't give you any dents in performance. I've read that the Power4Gear program can cause issues with things, but I haven't had that problem yet. And any apps you don't need you can always uninstall, and there should be a Drivers/Utilities disc that comes with it or there's always the ASUS downloads page. IMO you don't need any of the apps it gives you, except maybe the AI Recovery program for making backup discs, and after that it can be uninstalled.

Well if it doesnt really affect the performance, then why do most people want to remove all of those by a Clean Install? Are those issues caused by the software THAT serious?
"I knew I would not have enough time to do everything, but now I worry I do not have enough time to do anything."

XVeno wrote:
Well if it doesnt really affect the performance, then why do most people want to remove all of those by a Clean Install? Are those issues caused by the software THAT serious?

I think the cumulative gist of the responses here answers that question. Yes, they are THAT serious, and that's why pretty much everyone here does a clean install sooner or later. (Or, at the very least, uninstalls a lot of bloatware.) If even the one response (sort of) defending the OEM setup is from an owner who chose not to use it....what does that tell you? 😉

BrodyBoy wrote:
I think the cumulative gist of the responses here answers that question. Yes, they are THAT serious, and that's why pretty much everyone here does a clean install sooner or later. (Or, at the very least, uninstalls a lot of bloatware.) If even the one response (sort of) defending the OEM setup is from an owner who chose not to use it....what does that tell you? 😉

Well, it doesnt differ much from what you guys have been telling me to be honest 😛 so i guess that in the end, i'd stick by your opinions...
The only reason why I came up with this question is because I dont feel that comfortable using a copy of Windows that is not mine, yes, you might find this picky, but i guess that's the way it goes, although many of you have done it, using Chastity's or Jrd1st's tutorial, so, yeah.

One question though, if I end up doing the clean install, will I be able to use the win code given in the back of my equipment in the end?

XVeno wrote:
The only reason why I came up with this question is because I dont feel that comfortable using a copy of Windows that is not mine.
One question though, if I end up doing the clean install, will I be able to use the win code given in the back of my equipment in the end?

I think you may have misunderstood what a clean install is. Every Windows installation starts with a generic copy of Windows, as released by Microsoft. OEMs add all their own drivers and utilities to that. And when a customer buys one their computers, part of what they're paying for is a single license to use that edition of Windows on that computer.

When you do a fresh installation, you start with a generic copy of Windows as well. It's not a hack or illegal copy....it's the generic build released by Microsoft, just like the OEMs use. But then you add only the drivers and programs you actually want. You activate using the Product Key you have already paid for....again, entirely legal....so you ARE in fact using a copy of Windows that is YOURS, and yours only, for that matter. Your product key cannot be used on any other computer, but you can use it on the computer you purchased it with, as many times as you want.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I think you may have misunderstood what a clean install is. Every Windows installation starts with a generic copy of Windows, as released by Microsoft. OEM installations add all their own drivers and utilities to that. And when a customer buys one their computers, part of what they're paying for is a single license to use that edition of Windows on that computer.

When you do a fresh installation, you start with a generic copy of Windows as well. It's not a hack or illegal copy....it's the generic build released by Microsoft, just like the OEMs use. But then you add only the drivers and programs you actually want. You activate using the Product Key you have already paid for....again, entirely legal....so you ARE in fact using a copy of Windows that is YOURS, and yours only, for that matter. Your product key cannot be used on any other computer, but you can use it on the computer you purchased it with, as many times as you want.

Oh I see it, and as for the wifi card, does it really suck as much as everyone says? 😮
What would be the average price for switching the stock card with a...let's say, Intel Ultimate 6300 card?