cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New/old notebook? Look here!

fuzon1337
Level 10
Every day the ROG forum grows with new members, and they got either issues with their new notebook, or questions about how to get the best performance off their new beast!

In this thread I will give you some advice about where to start with your notebook.

[Optional]
If you got a new notebook or have an old one that doesn't work properly as you want it to do, the best thing is to make a factory restore.
For that you don't need a recovery cd to do it since there is a hidden partition (as long you haven't deleted that partition) in your notebook with the recovery settings on.

When your booting up your notebook, hit F9 when you see the Asus logo, then you should be able to access the hidden partition and then you can choose between different "modes" how you want to reinstall your notebook.

Choose the option that you prefer your notebook to be installed like then follow the steps from there.

Or you can download the Win 7 file and do a clean install from there:

JRd1st wrote:

Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 Integrated ISO
(burn to DVD with Windows Disk Image Burner for install disk, use activation code on label under notebook)

After a clean install you may want to install some drivers back on your system:
BrodyBoy wrote:
This is the basic driver set:

Chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI
Fresco USB 3.0
nVidia Graphics
Realtek LAN
Realtek cardreader
WLAN (Atheros or Intel, depending on your machine)
Asus ATK Package
Touchpoad (not absolutely essential, since the generic MS drivers is quite functional)
Bluetooth (if present and needed)
Realtek audio (not absolutely essential, depending on your usage)

[/optional]

Applications that you don't need (bloatware) is good described in this other FORUM.
So if you want to get rid of programs that you don't know what is, or not sure if you need it, that site is a good site to start on 🙂
(It's recommended to have P4G utility, but you don't have to use that program. If you want the features of the FN keys (and backlight in KB if you got) the ATK package is the only program you need then).

Then you should do some update on your notebook to get the latest drivers, and the Windows Update utility is a good place to start.
Begin the updates from Microsoft Update utility and let it go on by it self in the background, when you're waiting for the updates to finish, you could start download other software for your graphic card, chipset, processor, WIFI card, touchpad drivers and so on.

Graphics:

Chipset/processor:

Other programs/applications:

If you need AV/security programs I recommend:

I hope this gives you an idea of where you can start with your notebook if you got issues 🙂

Feel free to comment, or if you got some questions about this information.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205
66 REPLIES 66

BrodyBoy
Level 10
fuzon1337 wrote:
First off when you get your brand new notebook the best thing to do is to make a clean install.
For that you don't need a recovery cd to do it since there is a hidden partition in your notebook with the recovery settings on.

When your booting up your notebook, hit F9 when you see the Asus logo, then you should be able to access the hidden partition and then you can choose between different "modes" how you want to reinstall your notebook.
A clean install isn't the same thing as a factory restore. There's really no point in doing a factory restore when you first get the computer....

fuzon1337
Level 10
I would say that depends, when I received my notebook it was preinstalled with the english layout, but then again my notebook was a demo product or what to call it (before I bought it, this was one of the notebooks with the faulty sandybridge issues).
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

BrodyBoy
Level 10
It may make sense for the occasional demo or floor model, if the OEM installation is a little messed up. (Still, you may want to change "clean install" to "factory restore." I think it confuses the issue, since actual clean installation is a frequent topic around here.)

But as general advice for everybody with a new notebook, the vast majority of which bought a new, factory-sealed model, the recommendation to perform a factory install really does not apply.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Sorry for the mix up, I have changed it now, but I'm glad to get comments about this, I learn a lot even I write it wrong 😛
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

in any case, i would always do a clean install, no matter the situation. it can only help.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

fuzon1337
Level 10
Clean install aka facotry install or clean install of W7 ?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

chrsplmr
Level 18
as mentioned above....a clean install of win7 is a clean install...
a factory restore intall... is not just win7 + drivers.........
this is referred to as 'bloatware'...manufacturers software..and
the manufacturers sponsor/vendors software, offers......b l o a t ...
a clean win7install isnt clean either until you go in and shut
half of the microsoft 'bloat' off ........... if you want to get to just RAW... PC/OS/and U...GAMEON.c.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Thanks for clearing that up for me 🙂 Have always thought that if I wanted to do a clean install was the same as pushing F9 during bootup and clean the notebook from bloatware and all crappy software you don't need after that.

Changed the info so it's correct for other users who wants to start off the right way with their old/new notebook 😉 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

Hi there!

I just yesterday got my used (2 months old) G74SX-TZ226V laptop. I did a factory restore (from hidden partition) on it the minute i got it cos of some old stuff the previous user had. I left it at that and am now wondering which tread to use to install drivers and such. Can i just click the links on this thread and hope everything goes well? Or the G73/74/53 Series Driver and Application Reference one.

The thing is I'm having a hard time reading all this as imma computer noob and don't want to mess things up right at the start. What exactly should i install and deinstall on my laptop? And what are the best/newest drivers as this and the other thread suggests several for each component (ie. graphics with Nvidia drivers, Latest Nvidia..., ATI/AMD Drivers). As on the Asus applications I can just deinstall them and they don't leave a trace of themselves in the registry or anywhere?

Now i found this thread Drivers, Apps, and How-to's from a link in this very thread and am thinking I just found a solution. Simplest thread ever, just click on all the items, right??? Is this the answer of my dreams? Can I just go ahead and click everything when I'm on my laptop? Or are there better/newer versions or something else I have to take into consideration?

Then a second question: Can i make an image of Win7 after the process where i have installed all the necessary drivers, programs and games and how should I go on with this? (Is it suggested to do one?)

Please help! 🙂

Edit: Just wondered if i did right on the factory recovery or is there a 'cleaner' install that might benefit me or can I just get rid of the stuff I don't want and that's as perfect as I can get. (I do want some of the Asus stuff.)

Edit2: Where to look for overclocking advice and should I do it?