cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB safe to overlock?

slaytus
Level 10
Hey got another question lol currently my gpu is stock at 810mhz I have a ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II.
The card stock is running anywhere from 53C-60CNow is this an ok temp? would you say it's safe to bump the speed up a little bit even to like 850mhz I just don't want to overheat this card or shorten it's life span too much, but I didn't know if this stock temp was ok to bump up a little

Thanks again!
-|[ Clear Case ]|-
-|[ ASUS R.O.G. Crosshair III Formula ]|-
-|[ AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHZ (stock fan) ]|-
-|[ Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 ]|-
-|[ ASUS Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB (o.c. 870MHZ) ]|-
-|[ Corsair Pro Series HX1050 ]|-
-|[ Eyefinity 3x ASUS 21.5" LED 1080P (running at 5982X1080) ]|- ...Building

^With a medium Budget^
next in line:
*SSD * EXT. BluerayRW * Corsair H100
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will be able to set the fan profile using third party software or the Beta version of ASUS GPU tool (can be found on this forum)

By increasing your fan profiles you will have more head room to overclock your card. What are your FPS - I ask to see if the over clock will make any real difference to your gaming experience.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well only thing I changed in my Bios was Dram Freq. from 1333 to 1600 saved and exited everything else voltages timings etc. I have not changed its just set to AUTO, also in BF3 its running 5920X1080 with bezel adjusted and graphics are set to auto and i'm getting around 25-30FPS and gpu temp of 59-60c at 810mhz. Used FRAPS to check I assume it's reliable?
but were its set to auto im not sure if im getting some graphics at ultra settings or what I donno it would be nice to just bring up my fps a little I didn;t notice the low fps until I used fraps cause its still playable but now that I've seen the fps I feel it could be smoother or something easier to play I dont know haha
Thanks! 🙂
-|[ Clear Case ]|-

^With a medium Budget^
next in line:

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can increase your overclock no problem - the graphic card will manage the fan speed in relation to the temp of the core, heck you can even overclock your card using CCC to be honest.

Increase the frequency in small steps and play your game for a few minutes and see how the FPs scale with the increase in core speed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

slaytus
Level 10
Ok sounds good man thanks for the help. Theres asus Smart Doctor I just slid the mhz to 820 but I might increase it more..I also have amd overdrive I just dont know which is the best to do or another one?
I tweaked with bf3 settings turned off motion blur (even though I didn't but did notice 5+ fps jump in frame rates. I'll post a picture of the settings I have it currently set to but I was getting 45fps avg. with what i had it set to running at 5760x1080 (5920x1080)
Thanks again:)

Edit-- Should I use GPU Tweak I just noticed that it was ASUS i though it was some 3rd party so I never looked into it lol
-|[ Clear Case ]|-

^With a medium Budget^
next in line:

slaytus
Level 10
ok I installed gpu tweak and turned off asus smart doctor.. or should I leave them both running? anyway I bumped it up to 850mhz and with the settings in the pic I'm getting 30-35fps on outdoor maps and 40-45 on indoor, but would be nice to either get that up or be able to turn some settings on or off or adjust to get the best looking graphics out of bf3 at this resolution if its possible,

btw gpu tweak says max temp it reached while running at the 5920x1080 and 850mhz engine clock it tops at 73c so is it safe to go 860-870? or should I leave it as it is and just adjust settings? i played with a few but didnt know which setting hogs the most fps..
-|[ Clear Case ]|-

^With a medium Budget^
next in line:

HiVizMan
Level 40
73'c is manageable and you still have a bit of headroom. Your temp profile seems to have a handle on the temps.

Give the 870MHz a whirl. What are you setting for your GDDR?

I would remove Smart Doctor and only have one application installed.

slaytus
Level 10
k thanks The only thing i moved was the engine clock to 850 i never touched the gmemory its still 5000 or w/e

EDIT= I bumped it to 870mhz left the memory should I bump that up a bit?
THanks,

[IMG=http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4708/gputweak.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: Tried to fix your image no can do

Hivizman

Thanks man it worked on my end from imageshack I tried to upload it here but I must of filled my qouta lol
-|[ Clear Case ]|-

^With a medium Budget^
next in line:

Was going to experiment with some higher settings on these two GPUs; Afterburner currently shows 1000mv for 880/1760/2100 clocks -- is there any consensus as to a safe upper limit for the core voltage for overclocking the cards higher?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes you can bump it up a bit and monitor the improvements in game if any.