cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH (probably all pre-installed win7 machines) - upgrade primary hard drive

Retired
Not applicable
Let me start by saying this (G73jh) is an awesome machine. Here’s my issue I have with the setup… it comes pre-installed with windows 7- so no physical disks (nice right?). Okay, how about you try and upgrade the primary hard drive to (lets say an SSD – yep I want to do this to increase the boot speed of windows bla bla ba). It turns out that you can’t just simply back-up and then restore it onto the device device… yep, the rescue disks or 3 disks that they have you make doesn’t work either. They (most likely Microsoft????) forces you to a) not upgrade the primary drive or buy a new copy of windows 7 (physical disks). I even called you guys (Asus) and asked for a copy of the windows 7 cd’s… you said no since the original hard drive works, and what I want to-do is not supported. I also called Best Buy (where I bought the machine) their response was (using the geek squad) is that they would try what I already did and if it doesn’t work… that’s just too bad. I feel so cheated (I wish I could go scream at someone)! Anyway, fantastic machine… you guys do rock!
7 REPLIES 7

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I have done recovery disk hundred of time and it always have worked. What you could do is a ghost. Plug both the SSD and your HDD and clone everything from one disk to another. Also remember that there is a lot of thing to consider with a SSD like trim and read/write cycle. Keep the other HDD in the G73 to install software and put only windows and some important soft on the SSD. If you want more info ask here it will be a pleasure to answer 😉
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
or use acronis true image. the reason why we dont give out cds is because there is already a recovery partition on the HDD. i believe you are able to purchase a instaltion disk but you can download teh win 7 iso on the internet and activate it with the key on the bottom of your laptop. and bestbuy, saying they will try it is all part of how they make money.

its true though, upgrading parts is not supported through ASUS. any upgrades technically is outside of asus's territory. we are supposed to only deal with what is on the purchased system. otherwise we would have a room full of people dealing with compatibility issues with different hardware.

Retired
Not applicable
I definitely recommend using Acronis True Image. With that, you can make an image of your existing system drive (don't use the sector-by-sector option!) and then make an Acronis True Image bootable CD/DVD which you can boot to and then restore the saved image to the new drive.

Chastity
Level 10
Acronis True Image is my backup & restore system of choice as well. I have it combined with Disk Director. This will allow you to restore to any sized HDD you may use as an upgrade (assuming the partition can be downsized and still fit. A common issue with those who buy SSD's)
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

If you buy one of the Intel SSD Hard Drives, you can go to Intel.com and download their handy tool that lets you copy one hard drive to the other. I believe it is based on the Acronis software. Merry Christmas and GOD Bless.

Retired
Not applicable
Let me start by saying thank you for all the advice! (Sorry it to took me ages to respond...) I do understand ASUS point of view of not supporting additional hardware - my issue is not with that... its with not having access to the OS cd's (and if you really want it.... then most ignorant (non tech savvy) people are forced to buy another copy (its the 'buying' again part I don't want to-do). Remember the days when an OS came with a set of CD's when you bought a new machine - joke 🙂 ). Anyway, since I realize the new approach (likely thought out by some guy in Redmond won't change I was at least able to find an ISO on the web and then using the product key below the laptop to get up and running.

Yep, as was indicated you have to make several specific tweaks to increase the life and performance of an SSD in Windows... Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Have I screamed at someone yet? Unfortnelytly not yet. 🙂 I'm also curious, is there some list that says "follows these instructions to get all the bloatware installed"? (some of it e.g. the app that allows you to switch between vivid, multi media (Sorry, I don't recall the exact options anymore - but I think it was part of the control deck) was pretty neat.

Lastly, I do appreciate all the feedback! Thank you. Have a great 2011 (with this type of hardware at this price... you guys have a winning combination).

Heinrich wrote:
I'm also curious, is there some list that says "follows these instructions to get all the bloatware installed"? (some of it e.g. the app that allows you to switch between vivid, multi media (Sorry, I don't recall the exact options anymore - but I think it was part of the control deck) was pretty neat.

Funny that you mention that, as I'm in the process of doing three write-ups: 1) G73JH product review, a Fresh Install Guide, and a Driver & Application update page.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]