cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enter key gets stuck inside the keyboard.

Retired
Not applicable
Hi. I just got a brand new G74 from Best Buy. 3 days in the enter key gets stuck under the keyboard and I have to unwedge it with my fingernail. This should not happen. I'm planning on getting a replacement machine today, or is this a common problem. For 1.1k I was hoping for at least a perfect keyboard.
5 REPLIES 5

JRd1st
Level 12
Keyboard problems are common with the G74, return this one and keep returning them until you get a perfect one. Keep an eye open for a glitchy touchpad, too.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I would say more than a "handful of people" are having keyboard issues, especially considering the fact that it is one of the most searched for thread topics...

See it there in big letters in the middle? Maybe it's not the exact same problem that this person is having but the keyboards are known to be problematic.
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

xeromist
JazzyOJ wrote:
Hi. I just got a brand new G74 from Best Buy. 3 days in the enter key gets stuck under the keyboard and I have to unwedge it with my fingernail. This should not happen. I'm planning on getting a replacement machine today, or is this a common problem. For 1.1k I was hoping for at least a perfect keyboard.

No, keyboard problems aren't normal as far as any of us knows. JR is referring to a handful of people he's read on this and other forums while there are many thousands who aren't complaining. I've never heard of the enter key getting completely stuck like that either. My recommendation would be to exchange or return the one you have and make sure to put the next one through its paces.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
Some units have had problems, yes. That is why I advised him to test it thoroughly. But taking a such a small sample with an extreme selection bias and extrapolating it to all units shipped is just flat out bad math.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

BrodyBoy
Level 10
JazzyOJ wrote:

Good idea to replace it.

Some G74s have do indeed have "keyboard issues," but not that one. That's clearly just a defective piece of hardware, and it's extremely unlikely you'll have the same problem with the next unit. (This is the first time I have seen a G74 owner report the specific kind of key problem you describe....)