cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ROG G -Best LapTop on the Planet. No? Why?

chrsplmr
Level 18
The G Series Laptops are the top elite gaming laptops in the world, bar none.
They are ROG, we demand that they be.

I read most every new post that comes on this forum.
The finest piece of hardware on the planet
wimpers with less than of it's 'in class' keyboard/pad/button
quality..and a minor few other annoyances..
..with all due respect Asus...please remedy this
or strip the ROG branding from her and put it on the
pile with the rest.

This forum is flooded with this daily...I am the last to
offer anything negative..This is why I speak out now.

This damages the brand, causing hesitation in sales
slowing research........and considering the other
AsusTech at your discretion...there is no reason for it.

Time to take a real hard look @ your supply/vendors.
Turn SuX to XS.... who names these things?...hahahahaha

Offered with all Due Respect
And in all fairness I know the sold/happy user units
far exceed those spoke of here/ but here are the true enthusiasts.
Chris Palmer Sr.
40 REPLIES 40

JRd1st
Level 12
I surmise that you have become the "proud" owner of a ROG notebook and have "seen the light" . . .
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

chrsplmr
Level 18
No Sir...It is on the list. My wife and kids have a longer list, but I am
sure I will get to my list one day...i remain greatful to be allowed my V.

BUT...I read. I see your and BrodyBoy and others banging out the same
answers...cheerfully i might add...time and time again...and it has to stop.

It is jumping over $100 dollar bills to get to 35 cents...Now the next guy
'aint' drop'n the next Hundred... and it is wasting the brand image...over what?

Lets not get it twisted....I would buy no other...what would be the point.

But when you pick up a G74 in your hands you know you got something special..
the fire it breaths when you hit the power [yes i have touch'd..mmmmm]]
but.....well...it is obvious...
somebody cheated the parts bin....
this should be as the rest of it...WorldClass...
or get the ROG Off......

Im stash'n a few pennies at a time...when i finally stroke my ROG...I need her to G.

[[To tell the absolute truth--Ill never give up a ROGdeskTop....the ZenBook excites me..
When they get to ROG ZenBook...I want this issue 2 b history...18.5"yikes!!!!..I want it.]]

Asus ROG -- The Best -- or it's NOT ROG....make it so.c.

JRd1st
Level 12
Hopefully Asus isn't as deaf, dumb, and blind as they seem to be and they will fix the next generation of RoG notebooks, but that doesn't help us, who trusted Asus to sell us something great. The keyboards and touchpads are so badly constructed and/or implemented that Asus should replace them in ALL of the effected models, but I don't see that happening anytime soon because Asus notebooks become orphans as soon as they are purchased, when it comes to any kind of meaningful support.

I only lurk here, now, because I'm got tired of telling users the same thing over and over with no hope of anything better on the horizon.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Hopefully Asus isn't as deaf, dumb, and blind as they seem to be and they will fix the next generation of RoG notebooks, but that doesn't help us, who trusted Asus to sell us something great. The keyboards and touchpads are so badly constructed and/or implemented that Asus should replace them in ALL of the effected models, but I don't see that happening anytime soon because Asus notebooks become orphans as soon as they are purchased, when it comes to any kind of meaningful support.

I only lurk here, now, because I'm got tired of telling users the same thing over and over with no hope of anything better on the horizon.

Surprised you comment is still there....... made a comment about ASUS seems to have given up support on the G74, and it got removed lol

To the OP.... its a really good laptop, I think they should give us new touch pads for those that have to ability to install it themselves (meeting ASUS in the middle)..... don't know what the big deal is with the keyboard, works great maybe i got lucky......best feature by far is the top inlet for the fans, and amazing cooling

It can be a better laptop if the G74 had ANY SUPPORT from ASUS........ We're not asking for a lot just BETTER BIOS, BETTER TOUCHPAD...... In the automotive aftermarket performance industry, companies would have made good already...different standards in the computer world i guess :S

ASUS G74 owner since August 2011......waiting for support that... may never come ?
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Mine too...my G74 is solid with no keyboard issues save for its complete lockup when the touchpad is disabled in BIOS...
WIFI has been exceptional. Screen is phenomenal. Touchpad way too sensitive, but does what it is supposed to do and I have gotten used to it. Sound is OK, but I would have expected more out of a top-line gaming notebook. Battery life sux, but in its weight class it was obviously not designed to be away from the wall and on the lap anyways. BIOS is, well, my telephone has more programmable options....

Gotta say I like it. But the stories here scare me honestly: as I ramp up to using the thing more and more for my daily work, I am really afraid it is going to show a hidden fragility that we are maybe seeing here in these forums. And then it really sounds as if one is screwed, since the support will be minimal and mediocre.

Thats the worst part of my G74 experience so far...waiting for a breakdown and then knowing what to expect, which is next to nothing.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Boosted_R wrote:
Surprised you comment is still there....... made a comment about ASUS seems to have given up support on the G74, and it got removed lol

Wasn't me. If I delete something other than spam or an oopsie I will send a PM with an explanation. JR has made lots of negative comments and they all stuck AFAIK so perhaps it was the context of the comment? Obviously it's not true and you wrote it to express frustration but if a new user could mistake it for truth one of the mods might have deleted it for that reason. *shrug*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I went through many, many months of dealing with the touchpad and keystroke issue. It is now 95% fixed. But even when I thought there was no hope of a non-RMA fix, I STILL saw my G73JH as something special, and have never regretted departing with the $1,500 it cost me 16 months ago.

This is like any other product based consumer forum. You concentrate those who have issues with their product, thus it appears the issues are pervasive. I have a friend with a G73JH-A1, I have the A2. He has had no issues at all at this time and bought his 3 weeks after I purchased mine.

xeromist wrote:
Wasn't me. If I delete something other than spam or an oopsie I will send a PM with an explanation. JR has made lots of negative comments and they all stuck AFAIK so perhaps it was the context of the comment? Obviously it's not true and you wrote it to express frustration but if a new user could mistake it for truth one of the mods might have deleted it for that reason. *shrug*

LOL, say what you want....... put it down to a forum "error" hahaha
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note hopefully others will see this tread and think twice...... G74 is a let down ( but has worked fine)... IF Asus makes good on any of the problems, opinion might change then......Simple software fix like a BIOS still hasn't happened..... hardware fix wont come 100 %........ take one guy off X79 testing and give us LAPTOP CONSUMERS a BIOS.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thats what has to come to an end... and what i am trying to say.

This would be the best money Asus could spend to lock in
the top gamer book spot....
the proof would be in the sales of the next 2-3500 dollars masterpiece.

its a grand grand piano -- it should have worthy keys....
would you put a paper clip trigger on a thermal nukeWeapon?
[[not U Dc...hahaha....i know u would, if it needed it..haha]]