cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb ports problem

Lucciola
Level 7
While just surfing or general computer use the usb ports will stop working. All I have attached is a mouse and a usb key. When I would restart or shutdown after the usb ports stop working, it would either hang at the "shutting down" screen or I see a BSOD. Does anybody else have this problem. I have the G73JH-BST7 model from BB. The only thing I have installed on the laptop currently is all the windows updates and firmware updates from Asus.
25 REPLIES 25

xeromist
Is there any system message when it stops working? Are you able to see anything in the device manager indicating a fail code or do the devices disappear completely?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

when the usb ports stop working you can still see the usb key attached, but if you try to access it, nothing happens. I am currently not near my laptop, but when I get home I'll check the event viewer logs and report back here. Thanks Xeromist for responding.

Retired
Not applicable
Lucciola wrote:
when the usb ports stop working you can still see the usb key attached, but if you try to access it, nothing happens.

If you unplug the devices and plug them back in do they start to work again?

What about using just the mouse or just the keyboard (with the other unplugged)....does it still happen?

Does your keyboard and/or mouse have drivers available from the manufacturer? If so, are you using up-to-date versions of those?

Also, have you tried changing the power options for USB? A couple options to try:
1) For your selected power plan, under advanced settings/USB settings/USB Selective suspend setting - try setting it to disabled.
2) In device manager, under Universal serial bus controllers, turn off the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option for all the USB Root hubs.

You could also try toggling the legacy USB device support option in the BIOS setup.

Just trying to see if it's a funky device and not your system - before you enter the painful RMA world to wait for your new motherboard 🙂 I just set up a neighbor's new Asus (not a G73) and was surprised to find their Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 would not work after resume/boot without unplugging and plugging it back in - known issue (and it worked fine on their old laptop). I was surprised, since I use the 3.0 version of that mouse on all my systems and it works fine.

xeromist
Yes, the event viewer and also try to check the device manager. Sometimes you'll have an error code in the device properties that can help you figure out what might be happening. If it's completely disappearing from the device manager then I wonder if there is a loose soldering connection inside somewhere.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I just got up and it's 7 am. I walked over to my computer and of course the usb drive and usb mouse is not working. when i try to see if it's listed in device manager, device manager stops responding. In "computer" i can see the usb key drive listed it but also stops responding if I try to open it. In event manager the an error was listed as "the driver detected a controller error on \device\harddisk1\DR1". I hate how random it happens.

Yesterday I was away from my computer starting at 2:30p until 9pm. The event viewer showed to unexpected shutdowns at 3:23p and 7:48p. The only warnings listed prior to the shutdowns was the error "LMS service cannot connect to Intel MEI driver." I just don't know if its a windows 7 problem or a hardware issue. Im afraid of RMA it, but it hasn't worked properly since I got it on 11/15/2010.

xeromist
I guess you could try uninstalling the Intel drivers and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it though I think that I would RMA. It's a pain but I wouldn't want to have an unpredictable PC that was supposed to be working perfectly when I bought it.

Lucciola
Level 7
the usb devices do not work if I unplug and plug them back in. The other usb ports that wasn't in use no longer work also. It happens with just the mouse plugged in. I don't recall anything happening with nothing plugged into the usb ports except a sudden restart with no BSOD. I have played with the power options in usb settings and it didn't help. I just tried the optinos in the usb bus controllers on saving power and will report in a few hours to see if anything happens. I haven't tried the legacy support in bios. Will try that after a few hours if the usb ports stall again.

How long of a wait is it for a new motherboard? I won't be sending it in until Jan 2011 because it's the holiday season and people just want to be home. I think the techs will concentrate more after the holidays.

I'm having the same issue. I am using my laptop as a desktop replacement, so I have a G15 keyboard, trackball mouse, winTV 950q all plugged in, and once or twice a day, the usb ports will seem to short or something and either my laptop will freeze or none of the usb ports will work. Also, while trying to shutdown and reboot, it will hang on the shutdown screen also. I have tried reformatted the laptop twice making sure to use the most up-to-date drivers and I still get the usb issue. I definitely know it's the usb ports that are causing the issue because sometimes I can cause the problem by plugging in a new usb device (like my android phone). One thing I do notice is that every so often (many times a day), my G15 keyboard's lights will flicker really fast as if it lost power and quickly regained power. Hoping to find a solution that doesn't entail getting an RMA. I will try the "Legacy" setting in the bios and see if that makes a difference.

*edit* By the way, I have a G73jw-XA1

xeromist
I've had similar things happen on my g15 with a flaky KVM switch that I use. Honestly if you have reformatted twice already it sounds like you are having a hardware problem.