cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to reinstall windows. Will not install in standard mode, but will in safe mode

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all.

--system specs--

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Antec CP-1000 1000W Continuous ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600C6LV6GK
EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz
---------

So I ran into a GIANT wall here and cannot figure it out for the life of me.

2 Days ago I got a couple of logitech webcams, so I installed the drivers and everything for them and BAM BSOD. So I went into safe mode, rolled back a system restore and got rid of the blue screens. Unfortunately now, that caused my pc to be able to boot up and log in, but after about 30 seconds, the computer would automatically reset. So this was throwing me for a loop. I could boot up into safe mode, and leave it on for hours, and nothing would happen. Ran error checks and everything. Nothing came back. Tried to boot again into standard mode and then BAM, reset.

So I figured it MIGHT be just a random HD error that can't be found so I'll try a fresh install on a brand new hard drive so I got a WD 2 TB Cav Black (64 MB) and tried installing it on that. This is where I get thrown for a major loop.

Regular install -- Reboots as it begins to extract windows files. (won't get past 0%)

Press F8 and go into safe mode then hit install. -- Begins to install fine.

This is what is confusing me the hardest. The time I've spent working on computers I have NEVER seen this happen.

So far I have done the following

Removed all non-vital cards for PC operation (Capture/Network/etc.)

Swapped Power Supply Units (Antec True Power Quattro)

Swapped Graphics Cards (GTX8800)

Ran a mem test (came back with no problems)

Solo tested memory on installs

My only two conclusions are it is either a motherboard problem or a processor problem, but I am leaning towards a mobo problem.

Please help!
2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
I know its impossible to indicate all the different variables. But from what you described it sounds to me like your mobo, specifically a problem with the SATA controller. Maybe when you plugged in those webcams it shorted something on the chipset.

Which SATA controller have you been attempting to use? Are you getting the same problem from both SATA controllers?
Did you try clearing BIOS and or trying the second BIOS?

Retired
Not applicable
I used both the 6G one (the one I originally setup for my boot drive) and then I also plugged in one of the 3G ones.

Also I did a clear (factory default) setting for the BIOS.

I talked with a guy at Fry's, and after confusing him as well, he also thinks its the mobo.

So guess who I'm calling on monday!!!

((I just wish I would have discovered all this BEFORE I lost a hard drive...Q_Q bye hard drive...))