cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g73jh bst7 does not post, but keyboard lights up at start up ,(will pay money)

evgasr2
Level 7
Hello everyone in ROG site , i need your help
I bought an Asus g73jh bst7 from ebay as it was listed as for parts or not working
I thought it was a easy fix , the seller told me when the power button is pressed all lights light up but nothing comes on screen.
yesterday I got the laptop and i tried to turn on but same result, I opened the upper part the screen section disassemblem everything lcd , camera , mic and wif cables and checked for any marks of burn and checked the lcd cable also. but there was nothing wrong with it so I reassembled it. and tried to connect to external monitor and same result,
after that today i started to disassemble the main region i dissassembled every thing exept processor , and processor heat sink.
took vga out , removed cmos battery and turn on laptop but i didnt even press the button it turned on. and next and reinstalled cmos and vga and turned on then same result, and i re assembled every thing and changed the place of ram and turn on the laptop but this time it was diffrent , all lights lighed up and caps lock and num lock lighed up for few seconds and went off after that keyboard lighted up and went off , but the laptop was still running, but still doesn't post
please help me , I will pay money to the guy who give life to my laptop.
and this laptop is out of warrenty and it didnt come with ram , hdd, battery,dc adapter.
15 REPLIES 15

xeromist
It could be the lid sensor. Try rubbing a magnet to the left of the keyboard near the caps/numlock lights (above the DVD drive).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
It could be the lid sensor. Try rubbing a magnet to the left of the keyboard near the caps/numlock lights (above the DVD drive).

hey I tried it but it doesnt come, do you have and other ways??

If the GPU is dead it will turn the light on for a few sec but you only get black screen. It might be the GPU.
Asus G73JH 740qm, Ati Radeon 6970M 750/1000

DH48 wrote:
If the GPU is dead it will turn the light on for a few sec but you only get black screen. It might be the GPU.

Thank you for reply, the laptop turns on but the lights keep lighted till i press power button , after few second after i turn on my laptop the keyboard lights up and goes in 2 seconds. please help me

now turns on ,after doing some reset bmoy removing cs battery several times.
now it turns on and as normal keyboard lights up and goes off and laptop on stilland when i press caps lock or num lock it lights up so i can turn on and of by pressing it and i can do manual restart when i press ctrl + alt + del after a few seconds keyboard light up and went this means this laptop is now restarting , done this several times and im sure laptop now restarts.
but still no screen, does not post. neeed help

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I would try the following steps...

1. RE-FLASH THE BIOS:

• Download the current BIOS for that model
  • Prepare a thumbdrive with the BIOS file and insert it in a USB 2.0 port
  • Try to access the BIOS setup (F2) or the EZ Flash utility (F4) on start-up
  • If the previous efforts don't open the BIOS, try them again, after a CMOS reset
  • If you can get into the BIOS or EZFlash, update or re-flash the BIOS

So if you can establish a successful BIOS flash, the next step is making sure that there's an available boot option.

2. BOOT FROM A KNOWN-WORKING BOOT SOURCE:

• With a valid BIOS, you should be able to access the boot menu (ESC) or the BIOS setup (F2) to select boot devices
  • Use a bootable CD like a Windows installer or repair disk, to try and boot from the optical drive
  • If the optical drive doesn't work, try making a bootable USB thumbdrive and boot from that

Bottom Line: If you cannot access the BIOS on this computer, it is indeed non-functional as described by your eBay seller. No computer can be made functional so long as it has a corrupted or damaged BIOS.

BrodyBoy
;684
67 wrote:
I would try the following steps...

1. RE-FLASH THE BIOS:

• Download the current BIOS for that model
  • Prepare a thumbdrive with the BIOS file and insert it in a USB 2.0 port
  • Try to access the BIOS setup (F2) or the EZ Flash utility (F4) on start-up
  • If the previous efforts don't open the BIOS, try them again, after a CMOS reset
  • If you can get into the BIOS or EZFlash, update or re-flash the BIOS

So if you can establish a successful BIOS flash, the next step is making sure that there's an available boot option.

2. BOOT FROM A KNOWN-WORKING BOOT SOURCE:

• With a valid BIOS, you should be able to access the boot menu (ESC) or the BIOS setup (F2) to select boot devices
  • Use a bootable CD like a Windows installer or repair disk, to try and boot from the optical drive
  • If the optical drive doesn't work, try making a bootable USB thumbdrive and boot from that

Bottom Line: If you cannot access the BIOS on this computer, it is indeed non-functional as described by your eBay seller. No computer can be made functional so long as it has a corrupted or damaged BIOS.

hey , i cant see anything on the screen , how can i flash?
can you give me the steps to acces flash drive blindly . by counting the no of times the key should be pressed.

If you don't think this computer has any video functionality, this is all a moot point. You can't use it unless you get that fixed.

But I saw nothing in your previous posts that suggested you think that is the specific problem. Rather, you have described a computer that doesn't post or boot up. If you believe that you're not seeing anything on-screen because there is a BIOS and/or boot device problem, rather than just failed video, I was suggesting ways that you can at least try to address those issues.

So again, my initial point was that you need to be able to access the BIOS, and to re-flash it if you can get in there. Refer back to my previous post for more detail, but essentially:

• To access BIOS setup, press F2 immediately & repeatedly after pressing the power button.
  • To directly access the EZ Flash utility, press F4 immediately & repeatedly after pressing the power button.

If you cannot do this, either because the video has failed or because the BIOS is corrupted, the computer needs to be serviced if you want to restore it to a working condition.

dstrakele
Level 14
You could try attaching an external monitor or LCD via HDMI or VGA ports. If that fails to display any video, you're still stuck with possible failed GPU or corrupt BIOS. BUT if it does display video, you know the problem is your laptop display or LCD video cable or connection.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT