cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus IV Gene Z Ipod issues

girish78
Level 7
Problem 1 - Ipod is detected as USB Mass Storage device under Device Manager and as IPOD under the category Unspecified device in Device and Printers. It does not get detected in Itunes and also does not show up in my computer. I have un-installed Itunes and all apple software and drivers and re-installed it, un-installed the USB Mass Storage device but nothing is working. Few things I have noticed is that when I connect the IPOD and perform a scan hardware changes in device manager, the process goes on for ages. Upon, unintalling the USB Mass storage and rebooting the system, when I connect the IPOD, the computer tries to install the driver after a while it gives a message, driver installation failed.

Problem 2 - If Ipod is connected, computer gets stuck at Windows shutting down message. Once Ipod is unplugged, system shuts down properly.

Problem 3 - System wont start up and is stuck at Windows logo unless Ipod is disconnected

Problem 4. Pressing F8 to get into Safemode brings up boot menu. Cant get into Safe Mode.

Please sombody help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
Does it matter which USB port you use?

Is you Ipod the latest firmware?

Have you enabled automatically open device in ITunes?

If the device is being seen by the OS then your USB port is working just fine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes the firmware is latest. The device is not getting recognised in Itunes hence it is not opening. The problem is the same with all USB ports. The OS does not see the device as Ipod but USB Mass Storage Device under Device Manager USBs and as Ipod under Unspecified device under device and printers. This is just the first problem. I have mentioned other problems I am experiencing. Please help.

HiVizMan wrote:
Does it matter which USB port you use?

Is you Ipod the latest firmware?

Have you enabled automatically open device in ITunes?

If the device is being seen by the OS then your USB port is working just fine.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have set my Itunes not to open when I plug any of my Apple stuff into my machine. Please open Itunes and check that you have enabled that feature. My system will also see the Iphone and Ipad as mass storage devices when I de-select the auto open feature.

As the power off and power on problems you are having. Happens with certain systems when any storage devices are left connected via USB during power on and power off. Remove them before you power down or power up is the easy fix.

Otherwise ensure your USB drivers are up to date and that you have enabled them correctly in your BIOS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The drivers are upto date and the BIOS settings are correct. I did not find the option you mentioned in Itunes which is the latest version. When I plugin the Ipod, I hear a sound which means it is getting detected but problem is it aint showing up either in Itunes and Windows Explorer. Performing a hardware scan on device manager having the ipod connected does not complete and it keeps scanning. Trying to un-install the USB mass driver does not complete successfully as well, neither does disabling. It continues for ages and when I unplug the Ipod, I get a message to restart the system to complete the un-installation of the driver or disabling the driver. When I restart the system and plug in the Ipod, windows tries to install the driver and after sometime I get a message device driver installation failed. One more thing is when I right click on Safely remove hardware and select Ipod, it does not eject, when I unplug the Ipod from USB port, I get a message Windows could not safely remove the device as it is being used. I do not have any application which uses Ipod, so no clue why that is happening.

I am desperately trying to fix this problem and have no clue what to do now as I have tried few things already. Any help will be appreciated.

HiVizMan wrote:
I have set my Itunes not to open when I plug any of my Apple stuff into my machine. Please open Itunes and check that you have enabled that feature. My system will also see the Iphone and Ipad as mass storage devices when I de-select the auto open feature.

As the power off and power on problems you are having. Happens with certain systems when any storage devices are left connected via USB during power on and power off. Remove them before you power down or power up is the easy fix.

Otherwise ensure your USB drivers are up to date and that you have enabled them correctly in your BIOS.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem my friend it is there. Edit--->Preferences--->Devices But if you did not know where it is then you most likely did not check the option three quarters of the way down.

All good. The issue is with your USB drivers. The ipod is just a symptom I think.

Download and install the latest Intel Chip-set drivers for your motherboard. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel+Z68+Express+Chipset%22#
The same for the Renaissance USB drivers http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19880

Safe mode - You were very close. From the Windows Start-up menu, type the number for the Safe Mode option or press F5.

The chipset drivers are upto date as I recently updated them. USB 2.0 drivers are upto date as well. Only the USB 3.0 drivers need an update. As I am connecting to USB 2.0 port, I dont think that is an issue. Thank you for guiding me with the Itunes setting but the problem still is the same. 😞

HiVizMan wrote:
No problem my friend it is there. Edit--->Preferences--->Devices But if you did not know where it is then you most likely did not check the option three quarters of the way down.

All good. The issue is with your USB drivers. The ipod is just a symptom I think.

Download and install the latest Intel Chip-set drivers for your motherboard. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel+Z68+Express+Chipset%22#
The same for the Renaissance USB drivers http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19880

Safe mode - You were very close. From the Windows Start-up menu, type the number for the Safe Mode option or press F5.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The problem with the power on and power off of your system is it there with any other USB devices or only with the ipod?

Havent tried with any other device. Will try and let you know. But I dont think it will be a problem as all other devices are responsive and I am able to safely eject them. Only this god forsaken Apple IPOD is driving me nuts. I have a Asus Rampage Mobo on AMD platform and Ipod is getting detected fine in that one. So definitely, something to do with my present system.

HiVizMan wrote:
The problem with the power on and power off of your system is it there with any other USB devices or only with the ipod?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I guess it is mate. But just what it is that causes this is driving me nuts.

At one level it just does not make sense. Especially if all other USB devices that you plug into your set up work as expected.