cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVGA GTX 470 problems...

Retired
Not applicable
Evga GTX 470 Superclocked problem

When I install the nvidia drivers, it locks up at the welcome screen and stay there.

I reboot the system go into safe mode, and uninstall the driver. Then reboot and can get back into windows just fine.

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, tried reseating the video card, changed the pci-e power cables and still no go.

I also read a forum about the nvidia hd audio having problems and did the step through this post:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=586183

still no go after doing that.

My card worked just fine with my P5n32-sli se deluxe, and I am still using the same power supply as well.

My system spec are:

EVGA GTX 470 superclocked
ASUS RAMPAGE III Extreme
INTEL|CORE I7 950
MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL7D-8GBTDD (x2 for 8gigs of RAM)
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Power supply Cosair tx850 power supply which is 850 watts, (is that enough for this setup?)
Patriot Inferno 120 gig SSD

Also tried this on an 80 raptor incase it was the hard drive, and still the same problem.

The system is blazing fast without the video card driver installed, and I have ran out ideas with what is causing this problem. 🙂

Thank you before and any help would be much appericated.
5 REPLIES 5

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Got a similar issue with a BFG GTX275 last year. I didn't test it on a second board like you but it end up being a defective memory chip on the card. While running the windows basic driver the card was blocked at 512M, with the Nvidia driver she was using all the 896Mb Including the defective ship that was causing the exact same issue.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

try 3rd slot on board
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Coolermaster Cm Storm Stryker,
I7 3770k Delidded @ 4.8,
Asus Z77 Maximus V Etreme,
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2133),
Evga gtx Titan,
Ssd,
Corsair Ax 1200 Psu!!!

Retired
Not applicable
glw165 wrote:
try 3rd slot on board

Okay, I have it in the 3rd slot of the board and it seems to be working fine.

What can that mean? Sorry kind of new to the whole multiple sli slots, is it a mother board problem or a video card problem?

Retired
Not applicable
Okay, I have been doing some trouble shooting with EVGA to see if its other things.

Thanks for the reply, I will let you know the results.

Will putting the card in the 3rd slot slow the card down? I haven't tried that, but I have always thought that if you moved it down the slots, that it would have slower communication, unless your in SLI. I will give that a try as well.

Thank you Martin and glw for the replies.

I think it might be defective like you mentioned Martin.

Retired
Not applicable
For an update on this:

After seeing that it worked in the 3rd slot of the board, I switched it to the 2nd slot and it locked up like it does in the 1st slot.

After spending pretty much the whole weekend working with EVGA, they are letting me RMA my video card.

A question I have for you guys, if it works fine for them and they don't have any problems, should I contact ASUS next? I am just wondering, because don't slots 1 & 2 share the same PCI-E lanes or tunnels of 16x?

The weird thing is I have two 7900GS SLI'ed on my board now and they are working just fine.

Any comments would be very appericated, and thank you before hand. : )