PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74Sx and W7 32 bits

Lempziv
01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone!!

Finally I've got my Asus G74 SX and it's impressive. I've been using it for over a week with an intensive gaming experience and up to the moment I didn't have a problem.

I need to use engineering software that only works under 32 bits. I want to do a clean install of w7 32 bits but in the asus page I can't find the drivers for the touchpad and the keyboard for 32 bits.

My question is, If I install W7 32 bits I wont be able to use my pc because there are no drivers for 32 bits?

Thank you all.

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 08:04 PM
The driver packages have both 32 and 64-bit drivers in them, so you'll be fine. (I assume you mean the ATK package when you say "keyboard" driver? There is a 32-bit ATK package.)

Lempziv
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you BrodyBoy, and yes I meant ATK.

Lempziv
01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
After doing a clean install of w7 which are the basic drivers or programs I should install besides those already mentioned ? Power4Gear?

Thank you again.

underworld
01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Yes Power4Gear, just install the rest of cd of drivers

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Personally, I would avoid P4G, and all the other Asus software for that matter.

Here's the "essential driver" list:

Intel chipset
Intel RST
INtel MEI
Nvidia graphics drivers
Fresco USB 3.0
Realtek audio
Realtek cardreader
Realtek LAN
Intel or Atheros WLAN (+bluetooth, if present and wanted)
ATK Package

In many cases, as I suggested, the driver packages include both 32 and 64 bit versions. For some, there are specific 32-bit installers.

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Yes Power4Gear, just install the rest of cd of drivers

Not really a good idea. That completely negates the purpose of a clean install, and many (if not most) of those drivers are already obsolete.

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Just curious, Lempziv....are you setting up a dual-boot option, or are you completely replacing your 64-bit OEM installation with the 32-bit install?

Lempziv
01-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm completely replacing the 64-bit. Of course I'll be back to the 64-bit but now I must use 32.

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Quick tip: If you save your activation credentials before you overwrite or delete the OEM installation, using a utility like ABR, you'll be able to quickly restore your OEM activation when you re-install Window 64-bit in the future.

Lempziv
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
That's an excellent tip buy I don't know what are those credentials and how to save them. I would aprecciate if you provide me more info about it.

Thanks

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 12:27 AM
When you have a legally purchased and activated copy of Windows, like you have on your notebook, there's a product key and internal credentials that identify your copy of Windows as valid.

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) is a little utility that can backup these credentials, and restore them....on the same machine, and the same edition of Windows. Many owners use this utility when they're doing clean installs.

Here's how you use it:

Download ABRBeta (http://directedge.us/files/abr/ABRbeta.exe)
Double-click the downloaded file to extract it
In the newly-created "ABR" folder, run the "activation_backup" application
Ensure that the following two files now appear in the ABR folder
backup-key.txt
backup-cert.xrm-ms
Store the ABR folder until you're ready to re-install Windows 64-bit
After you re-install Windows 64-bit on your Asus, run the "activation_restore" application
Check to make sure that Windows is successfully activated

Note: Your OEM Windows credentials can only be used on that one machine, and only for the edition of Windows that it came with. (Unfortunately, the OEM activation cannot be used for your 32-bit installation.)

fostert
01-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Lempziv, just curious: can you get the source for your engineering program and recompile? I had this issue a year ago with some of the specialized data-processing software I use that is no longer supported (had been using 32 bit binaries since the beginning). Got brave, looked at the code (*very* old f77 code), and recompiled. Now 64 bit.