PDA

View Full Version : New G74SX owner here.

JaniOnROG
01-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone. I have a few problems that I'm trying to find a fix for. Perhaps someone here can give me some suggestions? After updating my BIOS to 203 the keyboard lights are not turned on anymore. Is there a fix for that? Also I seem to have gone through most suggestions of completely disabling my Touch Pad. Not just when a USB mouse is connected but at all.
Any one able to help? You've probably seen these questions asked here before. Sorry. I just couldn't find an answer so I started a new thread. I hope none find it disrespectful.

NO_DIVISION
01-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Try updating the ATK Package to version 1.0.0014. Fixed the problem for me. There is a thread on this forum that used to be 'stickied' called "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" started by JRd1st. Very helpful. Best of luck!

JaniOnROG
01-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Try updating the ATK Package to version 1.0.0014. Fixed the problem for me. There is a thread on this forum that used to be 'stickied' called "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" started by JRd1st. Very helpful. Best of luck!

Thank You for the swift reply but almost none of the links here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference work at all.

NO_DIVISION
01-25-2012, 02:53 AM
I think that thread is a little outdated. Try this... http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Hello everyone. I have a few problems that I'm trying to find a fix for. Perhaps someone here can give me some suggestions? After updating my BIOS to 203 the keyboard lights are not turned on anymore. Is there a fix for that? Also I seem to have gone through most suggestions of completely disabling my Touch Pad. Not just when a USB mouse is connected but at all.
Any one able to help? You've probably seen these questions asked here before. Sorry. I just couldn't find an answer so I started a new thread. I hope none find it disrespectful.
Not disrespectful at all....that's what the forum is for. :)

As already mentioned, the 203 BIOS and a repair install of ATK Package 1.0.00014 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip) is the best way to restore full functionality when keyboard issues arise. Give that a try and report back. (Note: A repair install is done in through the Control Panel.)

Since it sounds like you want to completely disable the touchpad (i.e., you're not trying to get F9 to work, etc.), I'd uninstall the manufacturer's TP driver. Then after you've uninstalled, go into Device Manager and see if you can disable the pointing device. If you can't, Windows will detect the driverless device when you reboot and install its own generic TP driver. (It doesn't have the gesture functions, but it's actually a pretty decent driver.)

If you do end up with the generic driver, try the various known approaches for disabling the TP. Unfortunately, I can't test it right now, but I think you may be able to disable it either in Mouse Properties or in Control Panel.

Ideally, though, I think disabling the hardware device before a driver is ever installed is the best bet for complete, permanent disabling.* Please report back on your findings when you get a chance.

* Assuming you don't want to open it up and disconnect the TP cable...... ;)

JaniOnROG
01-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Just tried the install of ATK package and that didn't help. Removing the driver for the TP didn't help and disabling it has never been an option I can choose. I am actually contemplating opening it up. I still don't know what to do about the light in the keyboard going out after I installed the new Bios.

chrsplmr
01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Very respectful...thank you from all of us...and Welcome..
Just take it a step at a time...and wait for (if your not sure of yourself) for
the members to reply...and then move to the next...
These guys....you are about to find... have been over every single nook
and kranny of these monsters............and have great love for them..
(especially the ones that limp in the beginning)....
ranting never works........but they know what does.

Sorry to interupt... had to say Welcome Jani... let the ROG.....begin..hehehe...c.

JaniOnROG
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Very respectful...thank you from all of us...and Welcome..
Just take it a step at a time...and wait for (if your not sure of yourself) for
the members to reply...and then move to the next...
These guys....you are about to find... have been over every single nook
and kranny of these monsters............and have great love for them..
(especially the ones that limp in the beginning)....
ranting never works........but they know what does.

Sorry to interupt... had to say Welcome Jani... let the ROG.....begin..hehehe...c.

Thank You.:)

PILGRIM
01-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Just tried the install of ATK package and that didn't help. Removing the driver for the TP didn't help and disabling it has never been an option I can choose. I am actually contemplating opening it up. I still don't know what to do about the light in the keyboard going out after I installed the new Bios.

Hi there. Hate to insist this "re-install ATK Package" thing, but why don't
you give it another try but with a little "twist". Download and use the
IObit Uninstaller to uninstall the ATK Package. Use the "Powerful Scan"
in the Advanced Mode. Tick the topmost "box" to delete all registry leftovers.

Reboot. Re-install ATK Package. Reboot. Hope this can help.

Edit: After the 2nd reboot, test the hot keys if they're all working..

JaniOnROG
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi there. Hate to insist this "re-install ATK Package" thing, but why don't
you give it another try but with a little "twist". Download and use the
IObit Uninstaller to uninstall the ATK Package. Use the "Powerful Scan"
in the Advanced Mode. Tick the topmost "box" to delete all registry leftovers.

Reboot. Re-install ATK Package. Reboot. Hope this can help.

I am planning on re-installing Windows anyway but was hoping for a quicker fix I suppose. I wish turning off the TP in BIOS worked without turning of the keyboard as well.

AQUASTEVAE
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
i think you will find that a fresh install of windows, without all of the asus bloatware, is well worth the time to do it. make sure that you reinstall the chipset drivers first, and the atk package last. do not use any drivers off of the recovery partition, asus's driver disk or asus's website. go to jr's how to thread, and get everything from there. take your time and do it right, and it will be time well spent.

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Removing the driver for the TP didn't help and disabling it has never been an option I can choose. I am actually contemplating opening it up. I still don't know what to do about the light in the keyboard going out after I installed the new Bios.

When you say "didn't help," it would be useful to have a little more detail on your findings. I suggested two approaches.....one to try and disable the driverless device, and one to disable after the Microsoft TP driver is installed. Which of those steps did you try?

To elaborate:
1. Uninstall your current Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad driver. Was that successful?
2. With no driver installed, what pointing device do you find in Device Manager? Can you disable that device?
3. If you cannot disable the driverless TP, restart and allow Windows to install its generic TP driver. Was that successful?
4. With the MS driver, try disabling the TP using various known methods: F9, Mouse Properties, Device Manager. What happens when you try this with the generic driver?

dstrakele
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
As @PILGRIM posts, when installing a new ASUS ATK Package, it is important not only to UNinstall the current ATK Package, but to REBOOT before installing the new ATK Package. His advice to search for uninstalled remnants is very important in cases where the function of these drivers has been problematic.

Another thing I recommend for problelm driver installations, is to boot into Safe Mode for the installation. This will stop other normally running drivers that could potentially interfere with your installation.

The other thing specific to the keyboard backlight is it does not come on until you are logged on to Windows. Also be sure to presss the Fn-F4 key combination to confirm they are actually turned on.

JaniOnROG
01-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Kayboard light now works. I did a combination of what PILGRIM and dstrakele said. All I need now is to disable the TouchPad.

dstrakele
01-26-2012, 05:09 AM
If Device Manager indicates you have a Sentelic touchpad, try uninstalling your current touchpad driver, reboot, and install the Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 driver. Then use Fn-F9 to disable/enable the touchpad.

JaniOnROG
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM
I have been trying to burn that Win7 ISO but the disc check fail both at 8x and 4x burn. I have tried with both the Windows ISO burner and with Power2Go.

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Which ISO? It seems like there's one posted around here that gives lots of people problems. Try this one (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso). (It's Home Premium, SP1....let me know if you need a different edition.)

JaniOnROG
01-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Brady I've tried with that one as well and a few others... same problem. I cant make any ISO's. Tried doing it on an older computer I have and it works perfectly there.

fuzon1337
01-27-2012, 12:45 AM
You could download Daemon Tools Lite (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite) and run the iso-file in that program.

The only con with that if you choose to use this program you will get two windows 7 boot up options and both of these options boots to the same (new) windows 7 OS. :P

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Brady I've tried with that one as well and a few others... same problem. I cant make any ISO's. Tried doing it on an older computer I have and it works perfectly there.
So the problem is just burning ISOs on your G74? Very odd.

Sounds like you've already burned it successfully on another computer. Go ahead and install with that installer disc, and then try buring again on your G74. If the problem persists then, it would be a good idea to check the functionality of the optical drive. But do that after the clean install, since this could be a software issue, at this point.

JaniOnROG
01-27-2012, 12:55 AM
I have not tried burning anything else yet(aside from those ISO's). I am planning on clean installing everything tomorrow after work. We'll see then.

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 01:06 AM
There's nothing else you need to burn. You can save the driver installers on your 2nd HDD, an external driver, or a thumbdrive.

JaniOnROG
01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I've re-installed Windows now and everything works out perfectly. I've made some changes as to what version of the different drivers I've used as a few of the ones recommended did not work out properly. Missed the ABR thing and Windows is due for reactivation? or whatever in 2 days. Is there anything I can do there?

Just to reassure everyone... keyboard works perfectly and Touchpad is turned off perfectly with Sentelic's 9.1.7.7.

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 02:01 AM
I've re-installed Windows now and everything works out perfectly. I've made some changes as to what version of the different drivers I've used as a few of the ones recommended did not work out properly. Missed the ABR thing and Windows is due for reactivation? or whatever in 2 days. Is there anything I can do there?
Sure. You can try activating online, using the number on the bottom of your computer. If that doesn't work (it does about half the time), just use the phone activation system. It's not as convenient as automated activation, of course, but it works.

I'm curious...which drivers did you have trouble with?

JaniOnROG
02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Windows is activated and running smoothly now. I've not been able to test much but will when I have more time. I'll get back to you regarding drivers and everything.