PDA

View Full Version : Buying guide G53SX

eRicK89
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Before I continue with my post, I'm sorry if I post at the wrong section.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum even though I owned a G2s series notebook.
So far I'm quite satisfied with the notebook, apart from changing the motherboard due to some burnt problem with the charging port which I don't know why it can happen and some performance issue recently.

I've decided to change my notebook to a smaller size in this case my choice is G53SX 3D version, since the non-3D also having the same screen resolution in my country.
I really need some comments and guidance.

What do you think of this notebook?
Is there anything I need to check when purchasing the notebook? Hardware / Software? Apart from the common check, like maybe benchmark it or anything else?
What are the pros and cons of this notebook?
Is there any upcoming G series laptop better than G53SX in the next couple months? Preferable 15.6" 3D is a plus.

Any other input besides stated above is highly appreciated.

Even though I have done some research on this notebook, but most of them are a normal review not in depth review, I really need some input from G53SX owner, if you have the 3D version please let me know how's the system performed? Any glitches, or whatsoever.

Sorry if I asked many questions. If you have any suggestion other than Asus brand also considerable.

Thanks for your time :)

fuzon1337
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi

Now that you are looking for a new laptop so it is important that it meets your requirements for a reasonable price.
Since you're saying you are going for a notebook with 3D display, then you may want to find a cheap version, then you have the option to upgrade to SSD, possibly more RAM and a new WiFi card (since the atheros card sucks ass :P ) without it being all too expensive.

Some sellers are sneaky when it comes to information, so it's important to consider is the screen with 120Hz 1920 x 1080? Or is it 1600 x 900 That only Supports HD+ and not Full HD.

With the video card then you will preferably have 1.5 GB or 3GB vRAM since the 192 bit version. If you find one with 2GB of VRAM, you will get 128 bits.

Another thing to remember is it is not as easy to open up such as G74 or G73 series for it to be upgraded (if I do not remember wrong about this).

I hope this helps :)

eRicK89
01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi fuzon1337

Thanks for your reply.

Any suggestion on which model / brand you recommend? Coz in my country the only option I know for 1920x1080 with 3D capablility is only G73 and alienware, not much choice and they're out of my budget and way too big, I don't want end up using the same size or bigger than mine now (G2s, 17.1"). The G53SX in Malaysia is equipped with HD 3D (1366x768 120Hz)

As for WiFi card, I heard they suck and create lots of problem lol! But if it is compatible with BackTrack then I might need to keep it for a while and start saving for a better compatible card.

Unfortunately in Malaysia, the G53SX is 2GB vRAM for the GPU and I believe the same at other country.

Now I'm comparing G53SX with MSI gaming laptop with the same screen size (forgot the model #). With the same price Asus got 3D, but MSI got higher graphic card. Now I become more confuse T.T

Oh, I want to ask for Asus G53SX, let say I buy another NVIDIA 3D Glasses, can I use them both (2 people using it at the same time)? Let say for watching?

Thanks for the info you gave previously.

fuzon1337
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
You cannot buy from Amazon.com or some site like that ?

About the WiFi card, you can take a look at the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 :) That doesn't cost much and it makes a big difference on you're machine :)

Hehe, then you should ask you're self if you need a screen with 120hz or not :) I doubt that the card on MSI notebook is so much better anyway. But if that graphic card got 1,5 or 3BG I would go for that notebook, it that got simular or better spec's :)

If I'm not mistaken about more 3D glasses you should be able to use more then just the pair that comes with the notebook. So if I'm right I've read it somewhere in this forum about that :)

eRicK89
01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Actually I'm planning on taking installment for the payment. That's the reason my choice is limited to local store.

Whoa that's a lot of help, will find more info and seller on the WiFi card u suggested. Thanks a lot mate.

As for MSI's graphic card it powered by GTX570 1.5 GDDR5 which I guess is more powerful and it has 2 USB 3.0 the minus is the processor it still using 2630QM.

3D is a plus point in this case. And global warranty is a must as I'm a foreigner student. Asus comes with 2 years global warranty with option to add another more year (I know the service center sucks!) as for MSI it got 2 years warranty but only 1 year global.

Gahh feels like my head going to Explode!! LoL somebody help me hahaha

fuzon1337
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Hmm.... if the store got an online site, and have some models on their site and not in store, perhaps you could ask them to get that to you? (only if the notebook meets your requirements)

About the graphic card it's no noticable difference since you got the GTX560 in the G53SX but since that G53SX got 2GB vRAM you will see a difference =/

If you need more USB 3.0 ports to you're notebook, then you could take a look at CM Storm SF-19 (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/sf19/home.php). That Cooling pad you can choose between USB 2.0/3.0 (depends on what you choose) and get 4x ports extra :)

With the 3D I would demend the reseller to take a look at it before buying the notebook. It was one member in this forum who got scammed with the 3D option and it only got naked-eye 3D or what it's called, thought he got 3D screen but didn't :(

I have good experience with the service center here in Norway, but it's a shame that not all the service centers are as good as here :(

So... one thing to remember when you buy you're new notebook, be sure to keep the receipt!

eRicK89
01-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Yea probably will try to ask the store which stock they got.

Bro u rockz! That's the cooling pas I was looking for I forgot the name and now u mention it! :cool:

I believe it is the real 3D since it got the glasses during the purchase.

Yea the one in! Malaysia real sucks! They told me it will take 1-2 weeks to repair my transformer but then it took 1.5 months, that isafter intold them that I'm going back to my hometown soon. If not I think will take more than that. But the service center in my hometown, Indonesia was great 3 days is all they take. Max 7 days.

eRicK89
01-26-2012, 06:29 AM
I think I will buy G53SX today. Coz MSI brand here is kinda hard they are all out of stock and don't know when they gonna re-stock.

Btw did you know if there's any new gaming series coming in the next couple months?

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Asus comes out with lots of new models and "updates" every year. Since the current G-series all came out last year, there will be new ones sometime this year. They showed some prototypes at CES.

fuzon1337
01-26-2012, 11:09 AM
As I have understood the next notebook G-series will come when Intel release their new Ivy Bridge processor :)

eRicK89
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Asus comes out with lots of new models and "updates" every year. Since the current G-series all came out last year, there will be new ones sometime this year. They showed some prototypes at CES.

Any estimation month?

As I have understood the next notebook G-series will come when Intel release their new Ivy Bridge processor :)

Really?! Maybe I should wait, I didn't purchase today, got some problem with the payment. Lucky me, maybe I should just wait? Any idea when is it coming? I found the store that sell the cooling pad! Wohoo gonna buy it early Feb :D so happy! The wireless card, have u tried Intel Ultimate 6300? I asked the series you've mentioned, but they didn't sell it, but they do have ultimate 6300.

fuzon1337
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Maybe it's the best idea to wait until the new generation of processors comes out, but when they come I do not know unfortunately.

I have not tried out the network card that you mention, but by looking at the information about Intel Ultimate-N 6300 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-ultimate-n-6300.html) so it looks better really.

And the reason I choosed the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 is because it supports bluetooth function. :)

Good you found the cooling pad :D I'm thinking my self to get one, but just have to earn some money to pay for it :P

EDIT: here is two links to the new G55 prototype that was showed at CES 2012 :)

here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qXnGtn0GQI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoLDR5kGlK0)

Too quote this site (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-to-Release-22nm-Ivy-Bridge-CPUs-on-April-8-Say-Taiwan-PC-Makers-243276.shtml):
"After many rumors and suppositions regarding the release date of Intel’s Ivy Bridge processors hit the streets, a recent report citing sources from Taiwanese PC makers has revealed that the chip giant plans to launch these new 22nm CPUs on April 8, 2012"

so the time until Intel release their new CPU I think it would just fly away like it has lately ;) :)

eRicK89
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
So what you mean is if I take the Ultimate-6300 I will not have any Bluetooth function in my laptop?

Thanks for the link, highly appreciate that.

So let say the info you got was accurate and there's no delay, 8th April will be the launching date for the processor or the launching date for the g55? Kinda scared with first batch G series, most users got problem with the first batch.

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
So what you mean is if I take the Ultimate-6300 I will not have any Bluetooth function in my laptop?
That's correct. If you want bluetoth in an Intel card, the 6230 is the card to get.

So let say the info you got was accurate and there's no delay, 8th April will be the launching date for the processor or the launching date for the g55? Kinda scared with first batch G series, most users got problem with the first batch.

Look how much fun all the SandyBridge early adopters had...... ;)

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
And we're STILL havin' fun....

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
And we're STILL havin' fun....

Indeed!

I haven't yet tried the recent Intel WLAN driver update, but at least in all the prior versions, Intel's WLAN drivers still don't work as smoothly on SandyBridge machines as they do on the previous-generation Series 5 chipsets.

I wasn't really joking.....I'd be wary of jumping on any new chipset right away. I think they've shortened the life cycle too much and they're released a little "raw."

eRicK89
01-28-2012, 05:57 AM
That's correct. If you want bluetoth in an Intel card, the 6230 is the card to get.

I get it now, coz I thought wifi and bluetooth are suppose to have diff hardware.

Indeed!

I haven't yet tried the recent Intel WLAN driver update, but at least in all the prior versions, Intel's WLAN drivers still don't work as smoothly on SandyBridge machines as they do on the previous-generation Series 5 chipsets.

I wasn't really joking.....I'd be wary of jumping on any new chipset right away. I think they've shortened the life cycle too much and they're released a little "raw."

Hopefully they didn't do that on ivy bridge. Its been a long time since I follow all this hardware related tech. Maybe it is a good idea to start following them again. ;)

fuzon1337
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
So what is the final conclusion, you'll wait until ASUS release the next generation G55/75 and buy one of them or are you going for the G53SX ? :)

eRicK89
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Sorry mate for the late reply, kinda busy with exams :(

I think I'm gonna wait for g55 and see hows the price :)

fuzon1337
02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Hehe, that's no problem. Just wanted to know what your final conclusion was :)

I think that you won't regret by waiting for the new model with improved upgrades, and also I like the look of it. A combination between G73 and G74 with fans and keyboard and done it more easy for the user to clean the fans, when it gets a lot of dust (a huge + in my eyes) .

If you're lucky, ASUS may have listened to us, about issues we have experienced with the previous generations and upgraded/fixed these issues :)

Edit: Not sure if you have seen this video but here's a link to the new generation ROG notebooks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O2Bzw_JNIY) :)

eRicK89
02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Hopefully the keep the backlit keyboard XD

Yea hopefully they listen to us else they are making the same mistake.

Thanks a lot bro for the video I haven't see the video until you give it to me. :D

Come on come on.. Can't wait XD

fuzon1337
02-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Let us pray for that :)

Perhaps you would be one of the first to recommend/review the new notebook :)
(And discover new issues that we don't know about, either that or a completely free for issues notebook :) )

eRicK89
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I finally got my Asus G55VW-DS71 great laptop. Need sometime to explore the laptop.

Zygomorphic
07-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Awesome machine ya got there! :) Any chance to post a nice spec guide and review in a few days? Pics of the comp are always appreciated! ASUS makes some awesome hardware at some awesome prices, and then has this AWESOME forum to go with it! Keep in touch with all the ROGn boys around here!

eRicK89
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks! :)

Sure, but photos I'll post later on, my internet connection here is not that fast to upload all the photos. Haha..

Specs for US region notebook (I got US region because in my hometown they are out of stock)

Model: Asus G55VW-DS71 (NON-3D Version)
Processor: Intel Core i7 - 3610QM, 2.30 GHz
RAM: DDR3 1600 MHz 12GB
HDD: 750GB (Standard, not SSH) Cache 16MB
Optical Drive: Super Multi DVD
Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 660M 2GB 128-bit

For full specs you can see at http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G55VW/#specifications (Click Me!)

Review:
Obviously this laptop is a beast (after tried many of my friends laptop), previously I'm using Asus G2s. This G55 is damn Quiet, I can't even hear the fan rotating, unlike my G2s even watching movies can still hear lol! and it is quite cool (G55).
My concern is on the right side of the palm rest (right side after the trackpad) is quite warm I can say but still quite comfortable.
DVD Drive sometimes pop out after I plug something to my USB no matter what I plug.
Battery was OK, using battery saving profile can stand up to 3.5hrs (browse, movie n music) I haven't have a chance to try play game using battery saving mode, I'm pretty sure it will drop the performance.
Average OS booting is less than 30 secs.

Pros:

Palm Proof Trackpad
Backlit Keyboard
Instant On
4x USB 3.0
1 Quick-charge USB port (finally I can charge my phone without need to turn on my laptop)
FHD Matte Screen (not glossy)

Cons:

No Thunderbolt
128-bit Graphic Card
No BluRay for my case
The Rubber finish on the body is a troublesome (my bro put his phone and accidentally scratch (not hard) the body and the coating come out

I'll update the list and put photos later on gtg now :)
Hope you enjoy and like it XD

Zygomorphic
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks! I'm looking forward to those (awesome) pics! The rubber finish can scratch, but you can buff them out with your hand...if the scratch is a surface one. The palm rest to the right of the trackpad gets warm because there is a 7200 RPM HDD under there. My G53SX with a 7200 RPM HDD does the same thing. Do not worry about it. If the disk runs a good deal, it will get warm.

Battery saving profile will drop the performance dramatically. It is not worth gaming on. However, 3.5 hrs battery from a gaming notebook is pretty awesome! :) I will definitely second your latter five pros. On the G53, the trackpad is "multi-touch", and palms confuse it. I turn off multi-touch features and use an external mouse. My rational is: why would anyone buy a Ferrari and put Walmart tires on it??? Premium hardware deserves premium accessories. ;)

eRicK89
07-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Now I understand why it gets warm when I download / play games.
after charge many times it shows around 3 hours and 15 mins, maybe because now it has been charged many times to it become more stable.
My G55VW also have a multi-touch function, but I think mine works perfectly no palm issue :D
You're right. I only use the trackpad when I'm in school haha XD

For picture you can go to my website my website (http://erickdarmasaputra.com/AsusG55VW) I've uploaded the picture to my server hope you like it. If you need any more picture just let me know, I'll try my best to take the picture and uploaded as fast as I can.

Zygomorphic
07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
You have now calibrated the battery. Some computers seem to come with calibrated batteries, others do not. Downloading and playing games hits the disk on a regular basis, which increases its activity and heat. 7200 RPM drives, in addition to being more noisy, are also warmer, and it comes through to the palm rest. Nothing to worry about though!