PDA

View Full Version : Need a G74 owner to help answer audio question

Tamour
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi. I am about to buy a G74 3D. However, it must have optical out or SPDIF through the headphone jack. Some people have said that it has it but I have never seen it written in specs. I connect my laptop my surround sound receiver and watch movies and stuff so optical out or SPDIF is very necessary. So can someone who owns a G74 tell me if the headphone jack can double as SPDIF. Please check in the audio playback settings where you are given options to select a sound output device. I will greatly appreciate your help in answering this question and in helping me decide whether I should buy the G74 or not. Thank You.

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 12:29 AM
It has mini-Toslink through the headphone jack.

380mcn
01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
It has mini-Toslink through the headphone jack.

Are you really sure ?
If i buy a mini-toslink adapter will i have 'digital sound'?

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Are you really sure ?
If i buy a mini-toslink adapter will i have 'digital sound'?
Yes, I'm sure.

But as I noted in my other response to this poster (he/she posted the same question in another thread), I have seen a couple owners complain that they couldn't get full surround to work the way they wanted. I don't remember the details of their issues.

But it's definitely a combo jack....and it definitely outputs digital audio (optical can't carry analog signals).

Tamour
01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the help. Many people have been asking the same question. I dont get why it isnt listed in the specs. If someone can post a pic as proof, itll be great. Thanks.

380mcn
01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, I'm sure.

But as I noted in my other response to this poster (he/she posted the same question in another thread), I have seen a couple owners complain that they couldn't get full surround to work the way they wanted. I don't remember the details of their issues.

But it's definitely a combo jack....and it definitely outputs digital audio (optical can't carry analog signals).

Thank you for your precious information!
Until today i thought the only way to have sorround would be throught HDMI.

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the help. Many people have been asking the same question. I dont get why it isnt listed in the specs. If someone can post a pic as proof, itll be great. Thanks.
A pic? I'm telling you that I have personally attached a cable between my G74 and my A/V processor and played audio. I am not inclined to do it again just to post a picture of the attached cable. (Not sure how that's "proof" anyway......)

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you for your precious information!
Until today i thought the only way to have sorround would be throught HDMI.

Do please take note of the caveat I mentioned. I know that I've seen a couple reports from owners disappointed or frustrated with their surround options. Since I didn't try surround myself, and don't recall what their complaints were, I don't want to imply it's as easy as plugginfg it in, along with VGA out, and getting everything you want. (Perhaps it was only that they couldn't get lossless or something, or that they were limited to VGA...but those would be expected limitations.)

surya schwarzennegger
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi. I am about to buy a G74 3D. However, it must have optical out or SPDIF through the headphone jack. Some people have said that it has it but I have never seen it written in specs. I connect my laptop my surround sound receiver and watch movies and stuff so optical out or SPDIF is very necessary. So can someone who owns a G74 tell me if the headphone jack can double as SPDIF. Please check in the audio playback settings where you are given options to select a sound output device. I will greatly appreciate your help in answering this question and in helping me decide whether I should buy the G74 or not. Thank You.

Hello Bro, i recently own the G74SZ-91234Z model. I am also very interested in knowing this,i thought the best option will be checking with Asus itself,i got the technical support no today (Asus Tech support uk-08701208340) i will give a ring to them and let u know.
Me too a budding Hi-fi and home cinema enthusiast,i want to connect to my Pioneer Lx-01 through ,Musical fidelity v-dac and vpsu, when i connected my laptop to the Av receiver i found the sound quality is superub,specially when playing youtube videos in 1080p.I tried Flac files also.(Don't forget to set the speaker option to set to output mode instead of laptop speakers.
In the mean time if you r looking to purchase a new G74sx pls have a look at my product in the below link and let me know what u guys think..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170769733773?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

To be honest,i was so lucky that i come to know about G74sx,my whole dream for last 1 year was to own son vaio vpcf series 3d laptop...Thank to my friend who told me about Asus G74sx. Nvidia 3d vison is awesome .
Have a look at the very detailed review of G74sx here..

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1275/pg1/asus-rog-g74sx-3d-gaming-laptop-review-introduction.html

Hope it helps..

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 09:34 PM
@ surya schwarzenegger: Go to the trouble to call Asus if you like, but it you read the other posts, you'll see that there's no need.

(Also, this is an owners' forum, not a sales site.)

surya schwarzennegger
01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;68285]@ surya schwarzenegger: Go to the trouble to call Asus if you like, but it you read the other posts, you'll see that there's no need.

(Also, this is an owners' forum, not a sales site.)[/QUOTE

As you can c iam a new member its not my intention to do mistake,as he mentioned he is looking for purchasing G74sx i thought it will help him,and i couldnt understand calling to Asus wil be trouble,as i said earlier i didnt mean to do sorry for making u guys uncomfortable..

Regards

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 10:50 PM
It's okay, you didn't make anyone uncomfortable. I'm just pointing out that if you read the follow-up posts, you'll see that the question about SPDIF on the G74 is answered....so calling Asus about it seems unnecessary.

surya schwarzennegger
01-27-2012, 09:08 AM
It's okay, you didn't make anyone uncomfortable. I'm just pointing out that if you read the follow-up posts, you'll see that the question about SPDIF on the G74 is answered....so calling Asus about it seems unnecessary.

Got it!!, thank's..