PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx - Slim Drive

WortTheWonderer
01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Having an odd issue with the Slim drive in my laptop. Brand new opened box Tuesday, tried to install some games onto it and it won't read the DVD that is put into it.

It will read:

Blu-ray
CD-Roms
Blank DVDs

It will not read:

Any DVD with data already on it, like games, movies etc....

I'm stumped. Updated firmware hoping was just that, nope. Uninstalled reinstalled, driver, removed drivers downloaded new ones still nope.

dstrakele
01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
You might check if the "Region" for your ODD is properly set for the DVD media you're playing.

The ODD in my G74SX-A1 did not have that problem and runs on the Windows 7 Plug N Play driver CDROM.SYS. If your ODD's Region is set properly for the DVD media, I recommend you contact the retailer and exchange it for a new G74SX or get a refund. Don't let them talk you into an RMA. Once you RMA, the laptop and it's problems are yours. The retailer is off the hook. You must then get warranty service from ASUS and wait for your laptop to be repaired.

Zackarak
01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I have same issue as well.. The optical drive worked fine for a few months until recently. It seems to be able to read CDs wtih data but not empty CDs or DVDs. This issue happens before windows loads as well as i tried to boot from the CD but it won't read.

dstrakele
01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Since your problem is recent, if you use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before you encountered your ODD issue, does it resolve it?

Zackarak
01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Can't try it right now but I will do it later. It feels more like the optical drive is defective. This is like my third asus laptop with faults. Seriously Asus..

My optical drive is Slimtype BD E DS4E1S