PDA

View Full Version : ROG Strix Flare stopped working - [PLEASE READ TO AVOID]

Inphecthyuz
03-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Hello guys i buy a rog strix flare keyboard and it works pretty well... At moment to install Armoury II software the keyboard turn all leds off and i choose restart my pc, when it log into windows the system could not detect the keyboard anymore.

Hope you can help me reviving this keyboard (use was 3 min) and it dead...

MasterC@ROG
03-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Changed USB ports?
Both USB connectors inserted?
Removed and reinstalled Armoury II?

Hessu
04-12-2018, 09:23 AM
I recently bough the rog strix flare gaming keyboard and when i got it, it worked a day and then when i turned my pc on the next morning, the lights didn't go on and any of the keys don't respond. The pc detects the keyboard but it says the keyboard doesn't work the right way. I have tried all of the USB ports and Uninstalling rog armoury and a lot of other stuff. I don't want to send the keyboard to the shop again because it would take 4-6 weeks for me to get a new keyboard so help please.

rickz98
04-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Same for me,sent it to the shop,hope it works well when it arrives.

MasterC@ROG
04-18-2018, 09:41 AM
We have found the cause of this issue and a software fix is coming very soon. Sorry about the trouble guys.

Until then, for anyone else who has a Flare, before you update the firmware:
1. Make sure to unsync the Flare in Aura software (not turn off Aura lighting) by clicking on the link icon under the keyboard so it turns red.
2. Close Aura software.
3. Run Live Update in Armoury.

rickz98
04-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Ya but i didnt even have Aura installed and it happened so,not sure if its the same issue

MasterC@ROG
04-19-2018, 01:55 AM
Ya but i didnt even have Aura installed and it happened so,not sure if its the same issue

We will check for any other causes before releasing the next update. If you can think of anything that triggered your issue, please let us know.

Hi Inphecthyuz, did you have Aura installed and peripherals synced at the time?

Hessu
04-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Now i remember how and when my keyboard "broke". I synced my keyboard and mouse lighting and then i pressed the button on my keyboard that changes the brightness of the lights and then it just went black.

rickz98
04-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Seeing you say that,now i start to believe the issue was that button,because i turned on my pc,typed the password,pressed on the button at the right of the one that blocks the windows key(i believe thats the one @Hessu is talking about) and the keyboard stopped working.

Hessu
04-21-2018, 07:59 PM
So does our keyboards start working after the update on Armoury or not? @MasterC@ASUS

MasterC@ROG
04-23-2018, 03:59 AM
Now i remember how and when my keyboard "broke". I synced my keyboard and mouse lighting and then i pressed the button on my keyboard that changes the brightness of the lights and then it just went black.

Which mouse are you using? I couldn't replicate this.
Please also let us know which firmware you were on for each the Flare and the mouse.

However, we have discovered that after rebooting, excessive presses on the brightness button does indeed cause an issue on the Flare. Please refrain from doing so. The new firmware will address this issue, but once you are faced with this issue, RMA is required in order to update.

rickz98
04-23-2018, 03:09 PM
By excessive presses you mean 1 press?because when i turned on my pc i believed I either pressed the key once or twice so...

rickz98
04-23-2018, 09:22 PM
and can we also get a release date for the new firmware?

MasterC@ROG
04-24-2018, 05:40 AM
By excessive presses you mean 1 press?because when i turned on my pc i believed I either pressed the key once or twice so...

It's nice to know people are not trying to break the software on purpose :) you must have perfect timing.
From our tests, even when we tried to press it excessively, it was still hard to replicate. We were starting to wonder who would ever do that. Curious people: Please restrain yourself :)...
I'll let the team know. Thanks!

MasterC@ROG
04-27-2018, 04:29 AM
The latest version of Armoury addresses this issue, please update to version 2.05.01:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101653-ROG-Armoury-II-v2-05-01-Report-any-issues-here

cameron21
05-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to put asus rog strix flare keyboard into bios mode similar the one that corsair have on their keyboards please ?

MasterC@ROG
05-03-2018, 01:32 AM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to put asus rog strix flare keyboard into bios mode similar the one that corsair have on their keyboards please ?

There isn't such a function. Any particular reason why you want to disable all the media keys and advanced features?

cameron21
05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
There isn't such a function. Any particular reason why you want to disable all the media keys and advanced features?

so i could use it on ps4

MasterC@ROG
05-09-2018, 03:58 AM
so i could use it on ps4

Sorry, the Flare isn't intended for PS4 usage, the extra features and functions are designed specifically for PCs running Windows. The lighting does work but keys will not register, as you already found out.

Sammy888
06-08-2018, 06:55 AM
I just became another one of the "stopped working for no apparent reason" Strix Flare Keyboard statistic. Here the long account just so everyone know I tried what ever I could to fix it...including changing a new one that also failed after one night.

Bought the keyboard to replace the overly sensitive Corsair K95 Platinum which I was not allow to test as it was too expensive and then I heard the blue mechanical key from the new Asus Strix Flare would be a good buy which is just as expensive and no sample to test. So took a big plunge I bough it to replace the sensitive K95. Works great for typing and gaming. There were some quirks I did not like about it compared to the K95 like a flimsy attached wrist pad... But the typing speed and sensitivity was great and the colors of the RGB was better then K95.

Bought it on 23th April 2018 and was happily using it till a few days ago. The keyboard stopped working. As I put my PC to auto sleep each night when inactive for 30 mins AND i press the RGB button to turn off the glowing effect of the RGBs before I go to bed to watch youtube from afar.

When i wake each morning, I nudge the mouse to wake my PC and press the RGB to activate the lights again. This went on without problem till few days back. It does not come back on. Then when it did for a split second I see white glow and num-lock glow white for a split second and disappear and then my Windows 10 keep pinging out the audio indicating detection of some device and dropping off and rediscovering again.. non stop in a loop. This will go on till I unplugged the keyboard's USB. Plug in back in and the audible sound appears yet again ..on and on.

So what do I do as someone who builds PC for fun and work? We shut the PC down and reboot. Warm boot and cold boot. But it did not detect the keyboard. And once it boot inside windows 10, the audible sound kept popping again to indicate it detected a device but it drop and re-detect again....as before in a loop.

So I uninstalled Armory ( did an update when I first bought & install in April ) in any case. BTW when I click on starting Armory (before uninstalling it) it tells me that it did not detect any Asus products and ask me to connect something Asus to use Armory and since there is nothing I can not activate, check for bios update..or whatever configuration.

After uninstalling Amory , it still did not work. Other keyboard I have including the K95 and other cheap keyboards works!!) K95 works without even installing their drivers. As it could not detect, there was no way to update the keyboard.

So I try the Flare on another PC and it still did not work. Change USB slots. And no I refuse to reinstall my window just because a $245 keyboard will not work but OTHER KEYBOARDS does when i try them. So those I read who ask other to do this or change other parts, that is unacceptable. Your product fail and you should not blame my other PC parts. At leat not someone who builds their own PCs. We know our stuff a little more then the regular joe. :P

So I called Asus (Ban Leong Service Centre) help desk in Singapore and later went down with the keyboard for them to check. Told them what happen and they took it away and minutes later exchange one for mine. Which was great.

Took it home and without Armory, it worked the moment I plug it in and start windows. So I straight away thought I best update the firmware if any and when I start Amory it did show there was a firmware update available for it. So I click to update...minutes later it told me update has failed. So I try again and this time I stop all work and not even browse the net to let the PC just focus on the update... no go.. it failed yet again... a total of 8 times.

So I settle on just using the keyboard as is as the RGB is working and I can type without problem. That was in the evening when I got home with the new keyboard. So when it came time to go to bed after using it for like 5 hours, do what I normally do, press the RGB button to shut down the RGB lights as the glowing distract me from sleeping near to my PC desk. The PC will go to sleep once the youtube show I watch finish in 30mins. which is what it did. Btw.. all during the 5 hours of use on the new one, pressing their RGB button did it's job without failure.

Next morning on waking up, I nudge the mouse to wake the PC and then I saw the RGB lights did not come on once I press the RGB button on the keyboard.. I felt that sickening feeling again.. and I was right. The light finally came on for a split second and it was a weak white light as before with my first one just before it failed. And when the light fade off, the familiar audible sound from windows 10 came on and start looping again.. Keyboard no longer can type, no RGB and with rebooting it still dose not work. Brought it to office too and it still did not work with other PCs...

So really what is wrong with it? Batch problem? And reading this on ROG forum tells me I am not alone. So I guess I have to take this down to Ban Leong again to try to fix or exchange a new one but seriously that does not solve the problem and a wait of my time to make another trip down to their office which is not really easy to get to as it is out of the way in some factory settlement.

At $245... this failure rate is un-Asus... at least to me. This is my first Asus product that fail like this in the last 2 decades and I am a big supporter of Asus products for me and clients. I just hope I can get this resolve without this happening again and having to make another trip down. And I wonder how many exchange also will they keep giving me?

Ok it is a new product and some bug will happen...so how do we get around it after ploumping down a sizeable amount over a $10 keyboard that is still working when I plug it in and having used it for over 7 years as a spare in case my price ones fail. (the irony but to be fair this is the first time a pricey keyboard of mine failed in a long long time). Or does that mean we get to choose another keyboard?

I am sure I can get the people at Asus ( Ban Leong) to look into it but if this is a batch problem I wonder what they can even do. Stay tune... will update once I contact servicing center again and do a follow up

Sammy888
06-08-2018, 07:29 AM
HI

Just got off the phone with the helpdesk.

According to him, he has never heard of this problem with the Strix Flare like what is happening to mine and why. I told him about the ROG forum having some discussion on this. In any case, he told me to bring it down yet again and they will replace it. Which is good and fine but that does not do much for the fact that if they do not solve the problem I have to keep going down to get a new one which I am sure there has to be some end point to it heheh

I hope it is a batch issue but if they keep giving me a new one from the same batch, my situation is not looking good.

So I will head over tomorrow to get a new one and let's hope it stays working this time.

MasterC@ROG
06-08-2018, 09:11 AM
As already explained earlier in this thread and title, DO NOT keep pressing the brightness button when the system is still booting up. We will verify to see the same issue applies when sleeping or woken up using the brightness button. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. With an firmware update, the Flare should not stop working so that is strange.

Please update the firmware, before that is done, just turn on or change the brightness while you are still in Windows, or wait until you enter Windows. Your current habit of moving the mouse then reaching right for the brightness button every time you wake up the PC may cause issues. I pressed the brightness button until my finger got tired while in WIndows, and the flare never had any issues.

Sammy888
06-08-2018, 04:24 PM
As already explained earlier in this thread and title, DO NOT keep pressing the brightness button when the system is still booting up. We will verify to see the same issue applies when sleeping or woken up using the brightness button. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. With an firmware update, the Flare should not stop working so that is strange.

Please update the firmware, before that is done, just turn on or change the brightness while you are still in Windows, or wait until you enter Windows. Your current habit of moving the mouse then reaching right for the brightness button every time you wake up the PC may cause issues. I pressed the brightness button until my finger got tired while in Windows, and the flare never had any issues.

Sorry but you are assuming I am pressing very hard and pressing a lot???!!... why do you think I wrote at length what I did as a summary of my attempt to recovery the keyboard to work...simply Just so you get the right picture as to what I did. How hard is it to press 3 times to activate it to the brightest setting. I don't need to bang hard on the button at all...why do you think I would be doing that? I do treat my equipment with care by the way. Expensive things, you don't just go crazy with it and then hope to bring it to the shop to get an exchange.

And you assume I CAN update even after reading that I tried it 8 times when I first got the replacement home? If Amory can not detect the keyboard and will not allow me to update it AFTER it has died and undetectable, how do I now update it with Amory. AND before it died, I tried to update it 8 times and it failed all 8 times. You think I was still doing something wrong with it? How hard is clicking UPDATE in the prompt and letting the program get on with the updating???

I should not press the RGB keys so many times? Sorry are you saying we can not press the RGB so many times before or even after as that cause the problem and it's our fault it happen? I hope I am reading what you say correctly. SO you say it here but then how about others who did not come into this forum and did it?

Something I do for decades which is nudge my mouse or tap my space key on my keyboard to wake up my computer is wrong ?????? Or that with this $245 keyboard I can not do that at all... Can you tell me where in the manual that I should not do that with the keyboard I bought when other keyboards (pricey or cheap) do not have the same problem? Waking up my system this way, has never been mentioned or cited as a cautionary act by Microsoft or any other brands and now you are saying this is something that happen to the Asus Strix Flare.

So what happen to all those out there who owns a Strix Flare and have problem but never saw this forum to read what you say? How will they know this can happen and more importantly why is is happening and being acceptable to defend it like this?

I can understand you want to defend the brand but let's get one thing straight.. if other keyboard brands DOES NOT SUFFER the same issue, what make this model so special that I have to condition or restrict ourselves from tapping it numerous times or even tapping it too hard when it is a gaming keyboard that is mechanical and suppose to be built to take gaming tapping abuse?

I love Asus products as much as the next gamer but let's not start getting a bit too silly with our assumption. I want to help resolve this in some way with my feeedback if that is alright with you and not be ridiculed like I am abusing this $245 gaming keyboard. If you can not offer anything better .. I rather you say you have no idea and will try to do something about it. And stop short of hurling insults at owners like me. It's no fun for us too.

If you are their brand or communication manager for Asus ... seriously you are not made for this line of work.

MasterC@ROG
06-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Perhaps I need to rephrase - please do not 'continue' to press the brightness button while you are not in Windows, whether 3 times, gently, or otherwise (we hope not).

As far as we know, it is fine to press any other button on the Flare to wake up the PC. With this thread, I have made everyone here aware that pressing the brightness button when not in Windows can cause issues. I'm afraid there isn't much anyone can do if you still insist to continue using the Flare that way.

Some cases of bricked keyboards were reported, and the current firmware has resolved the issue. If the keyboards you purchased still have the old firmware with that issue, we will look into it. In any case, do not press the brightness button while not in Windows as it may trigger a keyboard reset, even after a firmware update.

If you still cannot update the firmware in your replacement, try on another PC. If you still can't, let me know and I can help you do it manually.

droox23
06-12-2018, 05:23 PM
I wish i knew this before i bought it....... It stopped working

MasterC@ROG
06-13-2018, 01:38 AM
I wish i knew this before i bought it....... It stopped working

Sorry for the inconvenience, you will need to go through the RMA process to rectify the issue. It may be faster to exchange for a new one from your place of purchase.

Cristi007
06-19-2018, 01:30 PM
hello, I have the exactly same problem with my flare strix, after I pressed the brightness button while windows was closing, I found out that my keyboard dosent work anymore, i uninstalled aura sync and armoury, than I installed only armoury, but the app dosent work because the keyboard keeps plugging and unplugging itself, i mean i keep hearing the unplug and plug in sounds from windows and because of that the app stops working after a few seconds, but at first it only detects the mouse ROG Pugio, and after a few seconds it also detects the keyboard, but i cant change or do anything in the app.

im just curious if I can fix the keyboard somehow, without using the warranty, because that would take too much time and I don't really wanna do that, if there it's a way, someone please could tell me all the steps to fix it, so I can follow them, ty very much.

MasterC@ROG
06-20-2018, 02:19 AM
hello, I have the exactly same problem with my flare strix, after I pressed the brightness button while windows was closing, I found out that my keyboard dosent work anymore, i uninstalled aura sync and armoury, than I installed only armoury, but the app dosent work because the keyboard keeps plugging and unplugging itself, i mean i keep hearing the unplug and plug in sounds from windows and because of that the app stops working after a few seconds, but at first it only detects the mouse ROG Pugio, and after a few seconds it also detects the keyboard, but i cant change or do anything in the app.

im just curious if I can fix the keyboard somehow, without using the warranty, because that would take too much time and I don't really wanna do that, if there it's a way, someone please could tell me all the steps to fix it, so I can follow them, ty very much.

Sorry, the only way to resolve this issue is to exchange for a new one (probably faster) or service it (RMA). It's too late to update the firmware unfortunately.

Cristi007
06-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Sorry, the only way to resolve this issue is to exchange for a new one (probably faster) or service it (RMA). It's too late to update the firmware unfortunately.

oh well, Im just gonna get e new one, can you please tell me what to do when the new one arrives?

I mean what I should delete from the system maybe and what to install in order to make sure this one dosent end up like the first one?

thank you for you'r time and answers, it really means a lot.

MasterC@ROG
06-22-2018, 01:27 AM
oh well, Im just gonna get e new one, can you please tell me what to do when the new one arrives?

I mean what I should delete from the system maybe and what to install in order to make sure this one dosent end up like the first one?

thank you for you'r time and answers, it really means a lot.

All you need to do is use Armoury II to update the firmware.
The only thing to remember is avoid pressing the brightness button while not in Windows (booting up, shutting down, waking from sleep or hibernate, etc). Appears to be very tempting by looking at this thread, but please - restrain yourself! :D

Cristi007
06-22-2018, 07:43 PM
All you need to do is use Armoury II to update the firmware.
The only thing to remember is avoid pressing the brightness button while not in Windows (booting up, shutting down, waking from sleep or hibernate, etc). Appears to be very tempting by looking at this thread, but please - restrain yourself! :D

but after I download the latest armoury 2 version, I will be able to press the brightness button while windows is booting up etc.?

sorry for asking so many questions, im just curious :)

MasterC@ROG
06-25-2018, 03:38 AM
The Flare will no longer break, but please avoid pressing the brightness button that way even with the latest firmware and software.

DakDaraN
07-21-2018, 08:15 PM
I did the same thing...i pressed the btightness buton when rhe windows booting and the keyboard stopped working..

MasterC@ROG
07-23-2018, 03:01 AM
I did the same thing...i pressed the btightness buton when rhe windows booting and the keyboard stopped working..

Sorry :(, RMA...

DakDaraN
08-04-2018, 11:49 AM
I will avoid to press the brightness buton, i need to do something else?.

MasterC@ROG
08-06-2018, 02:52 AM
I will avoid to press the brightness buton, i need to do something else?.

It's fine to press the brightness button. Just avoid doing so when not in Windows.

DurtCZ
08-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Same happened to me. Now I see that I need to RMA it, but I managed to break it even with the new firmware (bought it on 2nd of July and updated Armoury right away). Hmm, maybe I'm just a special snowflake. Anyways, thanks so much for this thread, it helped me a lot.

GameBunny77
11-19-2018, 06:26 AM
Is the newer version of Strix Flare coming out to the market in last couple of months have fixed this keyboard breaking bug ? Or is the keyboard still broken to that extent that even with newer firmware, an accidental press of the brightness button kills the keyboard ?

MasterC@ROG
11-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Is the newer version of Strix Flare coming out to the market in last couple of months have fixed this keyboard breaking bug ? Or is the keyboard still broken to that extent that even with newer firmware, an accidental press of the brightness button kills the keyboard ?

If you intend to use the brightness button while not in Windows, you'll be happy to hear that you won't have any issues with the COD edition. The previous gen can't be bricked anymore if the firmware is updated.

GameBunny77
11-21-2018, 12:09 AM
If you intend to use the brightness button while not in Windows, you'll be happy to hear that you won't have any issues with the COD edition. The previous gen can't be bricked anymore if the firmware is updated.

Thanks MasterC for your response, very much appreciated. I am not interested in COD edition, not a fan of COD at all. Just wondering if the new keyboards getting manufactured and packed now already have the fixed and updated firmware or if it still coming with old firmware that needs updating ? Kindly advise.

MasterC@ROG
11-21-2018, 05:39 AM
All available stock should have the firmware updated already. However, for anyone who has just purchased the original Flare, even though the window of opportunity is small - make sure not to use the brightness button while not in the Windows environment. And update the firmware via Armoury asap to avoid the issue.

Danidasanic
11-22-2018, 12:02 AM
Hey

Dunno what happened but now i have a strange issue with my 3 months old flare with 2 leds allways lighted up ...i notice this today , probably after resuming windows but i never woke up the pc using function" keys

https://youtu.be/3Ik9LPWKBuc

firmware updated and I already tried another pc ...any sugestions ? i wasn't expecting this type of issues for a keyboard so expensive..

MasterC@ROG
11-22-2018, 01:36 AM
Does this happen for all lighting effects?
Are you on firmware 0.00.35?

Danidasanic
11-22-2018, 01:50 AM
Does this happen for all lighting effects?
Are you on firmware 0.00.35?

yes and yes
I was using the blue reactive lighting effect since I bought it

MasterC@ROG
11-22-2018, 02:47 AM
yes and yes
I was using the blue reactive lighting effect since I bought it

Sounds like a hardware issue. Depending on the country and the store you purchased the Flare from, it might be faster to exchange it for a new one instead of RMA.

jermaing
12-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Hi, sometimes my keyboard stops working (even though the LED lights are still on) intermittently. Is this a hardware problem as I have the latest armoury (3.0.0.14) installed. The issue is fixed after I close a program (such as google chrome) but this issue will pop up again.

Edit: The issue is fixed after I plug in another keyboard

MasterC@ROG
12-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Hi, sometimes my keyboard stops working (even though the LED lights are still on) intermittently. Is this a hardware problem as I have the latest armoury (3.0.0.14) installed. The issue is fixed after I close a program (such as google chrome) but this issue will pop up again.

Edit: The issue is fixed after I plug in another keyboard

Do you have firmware 0.00.35?
Do you have both USB connectors plugged in? (Sounds like it might be insufficient power)
Are you using a USB hub? (please avoid it)
Are you using a laptop? Tried different ports?

kasra_darktroll
12-23-2018, 09:07 PM
used the damned button on startup and guess what...can a manual firmware update fix it?

MasterC@ROG
12-24-2018, 04:07 AM
used the damned button on startup and guess what...can a manual firmware update fix it?

Sorry, unless you have the COD Edition, you'll have to exchange for a new one or RMA.

jermaing
12-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Do you have firmware 0.00.35?
Do you have both USB connectors plugged in? (Sounds like it might be insufficient power)
Are you using a USB hub? (please avoid it)
Are you using a laptop? Tried different ports?

edit: fixed this problem!

MasterC@ROG
12-25-2018, 01:36 AM
edit: fixed this problem!

Fixed by plugging in a second keyboard?

Al3xG
12-25-2018, 09:02 PM
Sorry, unless you have the COD Edition, you'll have to exchange for a new one or RMA.

You mean that is a hardware issue and can not be fixed by software update at all?

kasra_darktroll
12-26-2018, 01:11 AM

already sent it back... hope they give me a new one since i did nothing wrong to it:(:(
will the firmware update fix the issue?

MasterC@ROG
12-26-2018, 01:22 AM
You mean that is a hardware issue and can not be fixed by software update at all?

It is not hardware, but users will not be able to rectify the issue with a firmware update.

TerritoryPro
12-26-2018, 10:30 PM
I received a ROG Strix Flare and a Pugio mouse for Christmas, it looks and feels awesome.

I plugged them in and they worked great.

I followed the instructions they came with, installed the latest version of Armoury II

Then i used the 'live update' function in Armoury, it told me firmware updates were available for the Flare and the Pugio.

So, I let the Live Update do its thing, after a long while it gave me an error along the lines of 'Keyboard Firmware update failed'

Super disappointingly - the Flare is now a brick. Undetectable on any machine.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to rollback the firmware or manually apply anything to the keyboard. Even if there was, no computer will detect it is even plugged in.

Hope someone can tell me different, as i'm facing 3 to 4 week wait for a replacement if i ship it back to the supplier.

kasra_darktroll
12-28-2018, 11:13 AM
I received a ROG Strix Flare and a Pugio mouse for Christmas, it looks and feels awesome.

I followed the instructions they came with, installed the latest version of Armoury II

Then i used the 'live update' function in Armoury, it told me firmware updates were available for the Flare and the Pugio.

So, I let the Live Update do its thing, after a long while it gave me an error along the lines of 'Keyboard Firmware update failed'

As far as I can tell, there is no way to rollback the firmware or manually apply anything to the keyboard. Even if there was, no computer will detect it is even plugged in.

Hope someone can tell me different, as i'm facing 3 to 4 week wait for a replacement if i ship it back to the supplier.

my flare failed too... not by firmware update tho but by pressing the light button when windows was loading... MASTERC@ASUS says the firmware update on the new keyboard should fix the issue but looks like the update can also cause the same issue...really asus? what am i gonna do when the new one arrives? im worried that if i try to update the firmware it might get bricked again :(:(:(:(

Al3xG
12-28-2018, 04:04 PM
It is not hardware, but users will not be able to rectify the issue with a firmware update.

So i don't understand. My Flare has the latest version 0.00.35. Is it still vulnerable to light button issue while not in windows? Explain please.

MasterC@ROG
01-02-2019, 05:28 AM

We will investigate to see how updating the firmware could brick the Flare (COD version should not have this issue at all). I assume you downloaded the latest version of Armoury II (3.00.14) and tried to update the firmware to 0.00.35? I think it's the first time I've heard of it being bricked this way, usually the firmware reverts to the original version if not updated successfully.

If you have tried the keyboard on multiple systems with both USB cables connected and it won't detect at all, it's faster to exchange it for a new one from your place of purchase.

MasterC@ROG
01-02-2019, 05:36 AM
my flare failed too... not by firmware update tho but by pressing the light button when windows was loading... MASTERC@ASUS says the firmware update on the new keyboard should fix the issue but looks like the update can also cause the same issue...really asus? what am i gonna do when the new one arrives? im worried that if i try to update the firmware it might get bricked again :(:(:(:(

So i don't understand. My Flare has the latest version 0.00.35. Is it still vulnerable to light button issue while not in windows? Explain please.

As mentioned previously, whether you have updated the firmware or not - please only use the lighting button while in the Windows environment. The new firmware will not allow the Flare to be bricked, however, your settings may be reset (COD version is not affected). Do you have firmware 0.00.35 already or are you worried about upgrading to it?

Al3xG
01-03-2019, 11:02 AM
As mentioned previously, whether you have updated the firmware or not - please only use the lighting button while in the Windows environment. The new firmware will not allow the Flare to be bricked, however, your settings may be reset (COD version is not affected). Do you have firmware 0.00.35 already or are you worried about upgrading to it?

I have version 0.00.35 already. "The new firmware will not allow the Flare to be bricked" i wanted to hear it that the keyboard can not be bricked on this version. Because when PC is in soft off and usb power delivered to Flare the backlit can be lighted up on it. My children can accidentally push this button that is why im worry about it. MasterC is it issue affects Flare when PC is in OFF state or it just has a dangerous window between Bios And Windows10 loading?
Thanks.

TerritoryPro
01-04-2019, 03:21 AM
We will investigate to see how updating the firmware could brick the Flare (COD version should not have this issue at all). I assume you downloaded the latest version of Armoury II (3.00.14) and tried to update the firmware to 0.00.35? I think it's the first time I've heard of it being bricked this way, usually the firmware reverts to the original version if not updated successfully.

If you have tried the keyboard on multiple systems with both USB cables connected and it won't detect at all, it's faster to exchange it for a new one from your place of purchase.

Thanks MasterC, I am arranging a replacement with the retailer. I hope you find the cause of these issues. What is different about the COD version that makes it invulnerable ?

I don't think i'll by applying any update to my replacement, in fact if i'm updating any ASUS software i'll be unplugging the keyboard in preparation. I'd rather go without some additional features and have a reliable KB that works.

MasterC@ROG
01-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Thanks MasterC, I am arranging a replacement with the retailer. I hope you find the cause of these issues. What is different about the COD version that makes it invulnerable ?

I don't think i'll by applying any update to my replacement, in fact if i'm updating any ASUS software i'll be unplugging the keyboard in preparation. I'd rather go without some additional features and have a reliable KB that works.

It is best to update in order to avoid any more issues, I think you just got unlucky. As far as I know, no other cases have been reported. I use a Flare daily and found it hard to brick actually (window of opportunity is very small), now that I have the latest firmware update, there's no concern for the bricking issue.

As soon as we learned that some people wish to use the brightness button while not in Windows, the COD version has been updated to accommodate.

blind1337nedm
01-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Hello I'm not sure if its related but my keyboard and armoury stops working when i add more than 3 effects (just static) and now i cant open armoury anymore- it freezes and keeps reconnecting the keyboard.

MasterC@ROG
01-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Hello I'm not sure if its related but my keyboard and armoury stops working when i add more than 3 effects (just static) and now i cant open armoury anymore- it freezes and keeps reconnecting the keyboard.

Tried the latest version (3.00.16)?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108009-ROG-Armoury-II-V3-00-16-Report-any-issues-here
For any Armoury II issues, please report in that thread. Thanks.

blind1337nedm
01-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Everything is latest version- thanks, posted there instead :)

blind1337nedm
01-18-2019, 08:39 PM
hey can you check that forum out that you directed me too please.

kasra_darktroll
01-26-2019, 10:36 AM
so i just called and they told me they dont have a replacement to send and if i want my money back they will cut 30 % of it and send the rest...i worked with the keyboard for 4 days... 4 days only...the problem was not caused by me and i have to pay for it? this was the last time i bought any asus products :mad::mad::mad::mad:

beklogbuster
01-26-2019, 03:16 PM
sorry if i'm in the wrong thread, if so, could someone direct me to it, my problem is with my strix flare, it seems to automatically presses the Ctrl button after I typed a word, and it is now unusable due to the problem, is there a solution for it? already tried disabling the sticky keys feature on windows, but problem still not fixed. just bought it last December 2018, thank you very much

MasterC@ROG
01-28-2019, 07:35 AM
so i just called and they told me they dont have a replacement to send and if i want my money back they will cut 30 % of it and send the rest...i worked with the keyboard for 4 days... 4 days only...the problem was not caused by me and i have to pay for it? this was the last time i bought any asus products :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Why do you need a replacement? If you bricked it, service people can rectify the issue.
Can you please create a thread in the service-related inquiries section if you do actually have a broken keyboard? Dedicated people here can help you.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?295

MasterC@ROG
01-28-2019, 07:41 AM
sorry if i'm in the wrong thread, if so, could someone direct me to it, my problem is with my strix flare, it seems to automatically presses the Ctrl button after I typed a word, and it is now unusable due to the problem, is there a solution for it? already tried disabling the sticky keys feature on windows, but problem still not fixed. just bought it last December 2018, thank you very much

This will need to be in a different thread since it is unrelated. This will be deleted once you read it. I suggest to factory reset the keyboard - FN+Esc. You can find out how to use other Flare functions here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102043-Keys-to-the-Features-ROG-Strix-Flare

darbos
04-25-2019, 05:59 PM
How can i get the 35 fw?????????????????????

ChanLum
08-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Admin, i regret to buy Expensive ASUS Flare.. just a simple brightness button make it error and have to send it to RMA . My Warranty just end two months ago and that means i have to spend more money just to fix something that shouldn't be there in the 1st place.
U should write "PLEASE, DO NOT PRESS THE BRIGHTNESS BUTTON WHILE NOT IN WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT..YOUR KEYBOARD STOP WORKING & U CANT FIX IT" in Flare Box, so the consumer will know what kind of product that they buy.

Al3xG
08-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Admin, i regret to buy Expensive ASUS Flare.. just a simple brightness button make it error and have to send it to RMA . My Warranty just end two months ago and that means i have to spend more money just to fix something that shouldn't be there in the 1st place.
U should write "PLEASE, DO NOT PRESS THE BRIGHTNESS BUTTON WHILE NOT IN WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT..YOUR KEYBOARD STOP WORKING & U CANT FIX IT" in Flare Box, so the consumer will know what kind of product that they buy.

hi! what FW version it had?

ChanLum
08-02-2019, 04:39 PM
hi! what FW version it had?

it need to be fix 1st to see the FW

sundarnet
10-31-2019, 01:36 AM
ok so im having a similar issue
hardware list is
rampage vi extreme m/b
1070 rog strix v/c
rog strix flare
rog strix fusion 700
as soon as i install rog armoury 2 software the kayboard wont communicate with the armoury software, keys work lighting effects are saved from last settings change but volume controls and extra keys stop working immediately after installing ROG armoury 2
this all on a fresh install of windows with only bare minimum driver set to get the system working properly
had the same issue with an old install of windows , installed armory 2 and volume and media keys stopped working and no communication with ROG armoury i have to unistall ROG Armoury to get these controls to work again
please get this issue fixed as i have spent ridiculous amounts of money for these products and your software is all over the place, make it all work via the crate and consolidate all your ROG software now!

bodillc
12-17-2019, 07:25 PM
I see that this post is being intentionally neglected for a fix for those who bought the keyboard near launch and is out of warranty. The RMA diagnostic fee is $30+ after shipping just to conclude that the firmware has bricked itself due to faulty software from launch. After their $30+ dollar diagnostic, they will quote you a price to fix it. What a joke.

I can't believe ASUS isn't giving the consumers a way to fix the issue that they made from the date of production because of a faulty programming issue. I see multiple threads on this forum in regards to this issue and ASUS willfully ignores each one of them. ASUS has become a brand that was a leader in quality to the polar opposite. I am leaving a review on each website such as Amazon, Newegg, and so on that this keyboard is a horrible software mess and ASUS has done nothing about it.

ROKER
01-15-2020, 12:29 AM
My keyboard stopped working after updating, they are expensive products and customer support is very bad.

thanasis_
04-04-2020, 08:44 AM
I HAVE A BAD FIRMWARE for ROG FLARE and its not recognized can any send me a firmware ? 84475

GeoBRB
05-21-2020, 08:37 AM
I have this keyboard from yesterday.
The leds are closed when the PC is shutdows. It's OK, but when i touch any key the keyboard led are open and remain open permanently. Why ? It's OK?
I want to touch my keyboard when the PC is sutdown and the leds must be always closed.

Need answer. Someone has the same issue?

MasterC@ROG
05-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Just turn off using the brightness button? This is typical behavior on many desktops, for laptops the lighting generally stays off. If this really bothers you then perhaps check in UEFI for settings which disable USB power after shutdown, or resume from shutdown (these settings may not be available on your motherboard).

I have this keyboard from yesterday.
The leds are closed when the PC is shutdows. It's OK, but when i touch any key the keyboard led are open and remain open permanently. Why ? It's OK?
I want to touch my keyboard when the PC is sutdown and the leds must be always closed.

Need answer. Someone has the same issue?

MasterC@ROG
05-21-2020, 09:30 AM
If anyone needs the firmware, let me know. I'm back. :D

Kishona69
05-30-2020, 03:58 AM

Yes please. Mine works fairly well until I press the spacebar and then it just goes crazy pressing all sorts of keys and opening programs and documents on its own. The only solution to that is to unplug it. A fresh install of Windows DOES NOT fix the problem. This is definitely a firmware issue so I'm taking any assistance I can get. Thanks in advance. Btw, I would usually let it update through Armoury Crate but that doesn't work at all.

sulistioandy
06-04-2020, 03:27 PM

i update my keyboard and i dont even sure if its failed or what.
it happen so fast i we're update using armoury crate and suddenly my keyboard turn black and didn't respond to anything.

unfortunately my waranty is out of date (i have emailed asus support) and it says if the waranty was out of date they can do nothing to help..

so now i have one 200 dollar keyboard that cannot be used.
because firmware failure..
and what amazing is..

THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX IT.

thanasis_
06-14-2020, 07:22 AM

I want if you can i send you a PM.

Reoito69
07-17-2020, 07:46 AM
Dear MasterC@ASUS!

Can I get the firmware link please?

Have a nice day!

NoobsLeader
08-10-2020, 12:35 PM

Hello
I would also ask for the firmware
My keyboard is totally bricked, with crp disabld status
Will it help?

cesarsulca
08-18-2020, 02:15 PM

hi, please i need the firmware too, the play/pause button dont light up

strider1066
09-23-2020, 04:06 PM
hi , Masterc

If anyone needs the firmware, let me know. I'm back.

Can you send to me too please

MasterC@ROG
09-29-2020, 12:19 PM
If I missed anyone or the message was not received, please PM me.

magellaner
10-10-2020, 08:24 AM
If I missed anyone or the message was not received, please PM me.
Hy can you or someone send me a firmware? Thanks a lot.

masterofp
11-04-2020, 06:15 PM
Hello, could I please too get the firmware? Cheers.

ala20
02-27-2021, 08:50 AM
We will check for any other causes before releasing the next update. If you can think of anything that triggered your issue, please let us know.

Hi Inphecthyuz, did you have Aura installed and peripherals synced at the time?

Hello, I bought an asus rog strix flare keyboard and connected it to the computer. An update request was made through the armory create application, and after the update was completed the keyboard went off and no longer works. When I connect it to the computer, it is not detected

ala20
02-28-2021, 07:40 PM

please send to me the firmware

ratsq
03-01-2021, 10:52 AM
I would like to get firmware also.

Polychrome
03-17-2021, 07:52 PM
May I have the firmware? Thank you.

Gounette
04-11-2021, 09:04 AM
Hi there , i'm in need of the firmware too please ...

LLIepJlok
04-17-2021, 09:39 PM

Hello
please send to me the firmware

LLIepJlok
04-20-2021, 09:19 PM
I need help, the keyboard does not work (does not see the computer)
please send me the firmware, or write where to download?

Reikai003
09-04-2021, 04:22 PM

Hi !

Please i need the firmware, can you share it with me ? I have bricked my Flare :(

dzonboso
09-13-2021, 03:43 PM
guys i need FM. plz help me :(

Nino_1973
10-24-2021, 07:39 AM
Hi guys this morning I found that the secondary usb port of the strix flare does not work anymore I updated to windows 11 I thought this was the problem instead I reinstalled everything new and clean of windows 10 but the same does not go

fddsmash
12-01-2021, 01:59 AM

I want if you can i send you a PM.