PDA

View Full Version : g74sx mute issue

esotericman
01-26-2012, 03:34 AM
I have a g74sx which I muted and shut down. Upon reboot, the ASUS log in sound plays, but I can not get sound in Windows 7. I see I now have not one, not two, but 5 drivers on my sound card. One of them is Realtek, the other four are NVidia. This is a clean install machine, btw.

In any case, how do I figure out which sound driver I should leave or reinstall and which to remove? I have NO idea why I have five of the same driver either.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 04:02 AM
I have a g74sx which I muted and shut down. Upon reboot, the ASUS log in sound plays, but I can not get sound in Windows 7. I see I now have not one, not two, but 5 drivers on my sound card. One of them is Realtek, the other four are NVidia. This is a clean install machine, btw.

In any case, how do I figure out which sound driver I should leave or reinstall and which to remove? I have NO idea why I have five of the same driver either.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Leave all the drivers......they're supposed to be there. Check the Realtek driver to make sure the internal speakers, not optical out, are enabled as the default device.

PS: Just to clarify: the nVidia driver is needed for HDMI audio out. (It uses it's own audio device, not the Realtek chip.)

esotericman
01-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I toggled it to speakers, and still no sound. Thank you for the driver info. Next idea?

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Well, let's see...there are several ways that audio or the speakers themselves can be disabled.

1. Speakers can be muted with Fn+F9 and the at speaker icon
2. The speakers themselves can be disabled in the Speakers Properties box (accessed by double-clicking the speaker icon at the top of the volume slider)
3. The Realtek driver has the option to select the default output device (speakers or optical), and to set the volume and muting
4. Audio accessory programs (THX TruStudio, SRS Essentials, etc) can override Realtek settings when active
5. The BIOS has an option for disabling HD audio

All that said, sometimes the audio driver is just screwy, and needs to be re-installed. Which driver did you install on the clean Windows platform?

dstrakele
01-26-2012, 04:34 AM
The 4 instances of the NVIDIA High Definition Audio drivers (consisting of 6 files each) are normal. They are used for audio through the HDMI port. You can uninstall them from Control Panel and just keep the Realtek High Definition Audio driver for your on-board sound.

1) Have you pressed the Fn-F12 key combination to increase volume?

2) Does the speaker icon at the right end of the volume slider in the Speakers tab of Realtek HD Audio Manager have a red X next to it?

3) Do you get sound from external speakers or headphones plugged into the headphone jack?

4) Does Realtek HD Audio Manager show something plugged into the Analog jack (dark gray circle instead of gray circle) even though nothing is plugged in?

5) Is Digital Output set to the "Default Device" in Realtek HD Audio Manager?

6) Are the sound levels in the graphic equalizer in Realtek HD Audio Manager set to zero?

7) Did you install Creative THX Studio Manager as part of your clean Windows installation? You don't need it, but I want to know for troubleshooting purposes.

esotericman
01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
OK.

This is what I tried... I increased the volume. I rebooted after toggling the speakers on. No red X. I did not install THX... Oh, it was a full shut down too, not just a reboot... I did not have headphones handy. F keys and mousing to the volume control in Windows did nothing. Since I had sounds from the Asus post screen, I knew the BIOS was not muted.

Oh, when I did volume up, the graphics indicated a small blip which indicates Windows is sending a beep, but no sound. As if it was sending sound, but too low to be heard.
This AM, upon reboot, guess what... I have sound.

So, I believe since there was no indication anywhere of it being muted. That it is actually the driver.

I used the Realtek Driver found in one of the threads here. It was 6.0.1.6526.

Ideas?

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
So, I believe since there was no indication anywhere of it being muted. That it is actually the driver.

I used the Realtek Driver found in one of the threads here. It was 6.0.1.6526.

Ideas?
I'd suggest using the latest driver driectly from Realtek.

esotericman
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Yes, the link was to Realtek, and the most current driver I can find is 6.0.1.6526

I decided to uninstall the old driver, and what I saw was the same. No sound, but Windows indicating something was beeping. After a reboot, reinstall, reboot, things are still working.

If I notice shutdown while muted screws up the driver, I'll post back. Until then, driver oddity looks to be the problem.

Thanks y'all.

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 10:21 PM
On the Realtek site, the latest posted driver is R2.67. The version number you post sounds more like an Asus installer package..... Are you sure it's directly from Realtek?

esotericman
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh! The installer package is called "R2.67" but the driver is the one installed (6.0.1.6526), as per the version data from Windows via Hardware properties. I don't know why it has two names, but I did a fresh download and install, and it says R2.67 installed 6.0.1.6526.

esotericman
03-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I am back with the same problem. Randomly (meaning I see no pattern yet) they system boots muted. The Asus boot tone plays at post, but once Windows takes over, the system is muted. Rebooting a couple times sometimes seems to work. Again, I have the latest drivers as posted above.

Ideas?

On a second note, I am still having some issues playing some DVD's. VLC and WMP both crapped out on me yesterday for no other reason than the start menus on the DVD caused some issues. The dvd is fine, others play fine and what not. So if anyone has a favorite program, I'm game for trying anything.

Thanks.

dstrakele
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Are there any Errors or Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs that point to a troubleshooting direction? I recall a post where a user was having lockups. The issue appeared like an HDD issue, but the System Log revealed what turned out to be a hardware problem with the WiFi card.

I'm thinking you may have an electrical short that is affecting your speakers and ODD. The random occurrence and temporary resolution by multiple reboots leads me to suggest this. However, if you always get a sound at the ASUS splash screen, it is a good sign the problem is within Windows. If you pick the laptop up by one corner when experiencing these issues, does it change behavior?

I'd probably do an ASUS Factory Restore or a clean Windows install as a last attempt at a software fix.

Crimsonsglory
03-31-2012, 06:53 PM
I am back with the same problem. Randomly (meaning I see no pattern yet) they system boots muted. The Asus boot tone plays at post, but once Windows takes over, the system is muted. Rebooting a couple times sometimes seems to work. Again, I have the latest drivers as posted above.
Thanks.

i have the exact same problem. sometimes i have tone in post screen sometimes i dont. Randomly have sound in windows and sometimes no sound. I know this sounds wierd, but i notice sometimes i have no sound if im using adaptor changing to battery will fix it and vice versa(for a short while)
The sound issue is intermitten and random, and its really wierd. Did a clean windows install and updated lastest real tek drivers and the problem persist.

dstrakele
03-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Do you see any Errors or Warnings in the Windows System Event Log that point to a possible failing hardware component?

If you remove all peripheral devices, including from the card reader, then unplug and remove the battery, hold the Power On button down for 30 seconds, and plug in, does the laptop start up fully functional?

Crimsonsglory
03-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Do you see any Errors or Warnings in the Windows System Event Log that point to a possible failing hardware component?

no. none at all. hardware or software issue u reckon?